Got my cam today

Go here and read, read, then read it again. LS1howto

There is a tech article on a cam swap on a F-body. Pretty much is all the same for trucks. Make sure you get the dots lined up right. The one on the crank pulley can be hard to see.

Thanks Ben, got that thing printed out and have been looking at it. I think I might get that cam tool as well. Couldn't hurt if in the future I want a different cam. I've never done it before and am a little leary I'll mess up. I should be okay though.

The JPR cam tool is a good tool. The only thing is, it doesn't go all the way in on the pass side. So, get at least five pen magnets to cover the last four lifters and then one to use when handling the spring locks. Compress the spring with the lever type, then stick the pen magnet down there to pull out the locks. Use the magnet to help you put them back in also. Use a screw-type compresser to compress your new springs. Easier that way. The one Tbyrne has on his site is a really good one and comes with air connections to hold up your valves.

You are replacing springs as well, right?

The valvesprings cause me more headache than the cam does :lol: I bought a "real" valvespring tool about a month ago and the past few spring swaps have been much easier than they were using the autozone brand spring compressor. It may look like you can slide the cam all the way out with the radiator still in the truck, but you will have to take it out :D

I would go with the Comp Cams 918 springs at least. I don't know what size cam you are getting, but if you don't plan on spinning the motor up past 6200 you can get the 918s and reuse the factory retainers. If you want to spin the motor up to 6700 then you need the titanium retainers. If you want dual valve spring kit that will fit in without any head modification then get the 921 springs. What is nice with the dual valve spring is that in case you break a spring in inner spring will keep the valve from falling down. I'll have my cam in a few days and I will be using the 921 kit. The 921 kit comes with dual valve springs, titanium retainers, and new valve stem seals. The 918s are good for .625" lift and the 921s are good for .650 lift.

Archived