Reverse Cooling?

Zippy,do these truck engines ( LQ9 SS ) have reverse cooling,or is the thermostat just on the inlet / lower side ?

Using an infrared temp gun the upper radiator hose is hotter than the lower.Just like an older engine.

TIA,,WP

I believe that they are not reverse cooled just like the LS1 on the F-body. I have heard that they were origionally designed to me reverse cooled, but they later decided against it. *just what I have heard from some very knowledgable f-body guys*

They are not reverse cooled, they are the same design as the LS1/LS6 blocks. They cannot be reverse cooled either. GM realized that they have low block pressure and have tapered the coolant ports. If you try to reverse cool it you will never make any block pressure because you will go against the taper. This is why Meziere has relocated the thermostat on their electric water pump to increase block pressure.

If the belt runs the water pump pulley from the ribbed side it is standard rotation, if it drives the water pump pulley from the back side of the belt, it is a reverse rotation.

There! :jester:

If the belt runs the water pump pulley from the ribbed side it is standard rotation, if it drives the water pump pulley from the back side of the belt, it is a reverse rotation.

There! :jester:

that's not what indicates reverse flow cooling.

My 1991 Silverado has a reverse flow water pump, and they made darn sure you understood that when purchasing the pump, by placing several bright yellow colored printouts saying so in the box with the new water pump.The drive side of the belt method is how they tell you to discern the difference between the normal and reverse flow systems. I assumed that would work for all systems, seeing how all engines turn the same direction.

My Bad if I'm wrong!

My waterpump pulley is smooth, and is driven by the back side of the serpetine belt. And it is a reverse flow water pump. :D

that should be reverse rotation, not reverse flow.

:withstupid:

The coolant flow direction through the heads is determined by the plumbing of the coolant passages connected to the water pump and the impeller in the pump, not the direction the pulley rotates.

Archived