Awd Vs Rear Wheel Drive: Pros And Cons!

Joe Louis

As the guy who had originally wished his truck was RWD, I can tell you on more than one occasion when towing the car trailer, the grass at the track was wet when leaving- AWD sure was nice :)

Well as far as the quarter mile goes. Stock for Stock an AWD will launch better off the line but the higher gears in the 2wd will give it a faster top speed.

Here is a video of a similar modded AWD vs a2WD

th_Drags11-7003.jpg

as you see the black AWD gets a better jump of the line but the 2wd reals him in. The different in quarter mile time was .01 of a second

I believe that the 2WD may get a little bit better MPGs but probably not much, but with a 2wd you may go through rear tires like crazy :peelout: The 2wd also has rear drum brakes vs. the AWD and its 4 wheel discs

I think its all about personal preference. I personally live in AWD/ 4WD country and have to have the AWD truck in winter, so i would never even dream of a 2WD truck

I live in Houston where it hardly ever snows so i love my 2wd, plus we have a 14bolt rear end compared to the 10bolt you AWD guys have. As far and rear drums go yeah they suck but that can be changed in acouple of hours, my 2WD has 4 wheel disc brakes now.

P6070009.jpg

I am from Tennessee and the weather is suited for a 2WD I love my RWD SS after my tune I average about 18-20mpg. I am doing the rear disc conversion to mine as well but I have never had aproblem stopping either, as far as snow ect 2WD isn't the best but I was stationed at FT Lewis WA for 3 years and as long as you ain't trying to be Super Dave it done just fine

4e6e26af.jpg

I live in Houston where it hardly ever snows so i love my 2wd, plus we have a 14bolt rear end compared to the 10bolt you AWD guys have. As far and rear drums go yeah they suck but that can be changed in acouple of hours, my 2WD has 4 wheel disc brakes now.

P6070009.jpg

Your opinion doesn't count, because that black is BEAUTIFUL. ;) Jealous red truck guy here, obviously.

I am from Tennessee and the weather is suited for a 2WD I love my RWD SS after my tune I average about 18-20mpg. I am doing the rear disc conversion to mine as well but I have never had aproblem stopping either, as far as snow ect 2WD isn't the best but I was stationed at FT Lewis WA for 3 years and as long as you ain't trying to be Super Dave it done just fine

4e6e26af.jpg

Don't ake me post the snow Jackassery vids from the Summit for you- Ski Mountain Rd makes me love the AWD every winter. ;)

Edited by O2 WS6 TA (see edit history)

i like the AWD. when i got mine that's all we could get. i was living in NY at the time and needed a 4X4 or AWD to get around in winter. now living in the high desert in SoCal i still enjoy it. we can still get a bit of snow up here at over 2500' alt but it still rains, about 3-4" per year. when it dose rain the roads are slick as hell due to sometimes it may not rain for 3-4 month at a time so it helps a lot. but down where you are snow not an issue and 2wd should do you OK. but like said it's a personal preference..

Don't ake me post the snow Jackassery vids from the Summit for you- Ski Mountain Rd makes me love the AWD every winter. ;)

ROFL!!!!!

Yea mine doesn't do to good but as long as I take it easy its ok, the traction control helps a little :banghead:

I've already had the big-HP (BBC) in a 2WD truck before, never again; creeping away from the stop light slower than a Kia because any more toe in the throttle will just blow the rear tires off plain SUCKS. AWD rocks, even though it is more costly with fuel economy and the extra drivetrain parts.

Mr. P.

One big advantage the 2wds get is the ability to dyno, not many spots to dyno the awd. But your tune is as good as your tuner.

I love my awd. Some of the things Ive done in this truck Im still baffled by.