Promising Times At The Track With The Radix.....

slowfive0

Went to the track today (50 degree temp) and went 12.27 at 108 with a 1.7 60 foot. This run was made within 5 minutes of arrival. Made some adjustments to the tune and got the mph up to 109.5 hot lapping it. My IAT's were 105-110 starting out each run and engine temps were 178-180. Most of my runs fell into the 12.30 range as my 60 foots were averaging 1.74 (spinning a little). Not sure how I got the 1.7 on the first pass, but it dead hooked and felt great! Maybe heat in the tires from the 50 mile drive??? Tire pressure was 35psi (LOL!). Near the end of the day, I did lower the pressure down to 27psi and let it cool a little but they closed the track before I could make another pass.

Last year in 40 degree air, I went 12.21 at 110 with a 1.7 60 foot. Since then I've added methanol injection, electric fans & a bigger throttlebody (87mm). Plus, I dialed in the tune some more.

I want to get this in the 11's, but I don't see it happening unless I take weight out or find some more power....or both! Not trying to be a dickhead, but I think it's kind of gay to run the number so to speak with some little tires (that look really dumb and are never used again except at the track) and pulling out seats, tailgates, sub boxes, spare tires etc. But I don't see myself hitting the numbers others have without it. I weigh 280lbs and with my sub box, amps, heavy stock 20's, etc. my truck weighs 5650 across the scales.

I'm sure the shorter/lighter 16" wheels, pulling my seat, sub box and tailgate plus the cooler weather will get me into the 11's, but ^^^ ........I guess I'm being silly......

What is the fastest SS silverado with stock wheels, full weight and radix? Maybe I'm chasing after something that isn't going to happen. I'm miles away from a 11.70 anything at this point---lol! Thanks.

I'm using an 87mm tb that I had laying around. I think it came off of a TB SS, but not positive. I'm also using the x-link.

I would like to upgrade to the 102mm tb but $600 is pretty steep right now (I'm building a 7 second mustang). Thinking about the 90mm tb, but not sure if the extra 25% throttle area will make much difference at this point for $200.

I'm very tempted though as I ckd restriction and I started out with 4" of vacuum between the tb and the blower (78mm tb) and now have 2" with the new tb. Not sure if that last 2" is the tb or the inlet tube/maf???

What throttle body are you running?

If you check your tps readings you'll find that the 87mm will be closing at high rpm. The only 87mm throttle bodies that have the ability to handle that much airflow are the one's from the LSA and LS9. The truck version has a weak motor and can't handle it.

Thank you Zippy. I'm seeing 98-99% tp during my runs. Used to always be 100%. I thought it was the throttle area scalar setting, but I programmed that with no change. Well it does run better (driveability), but no effect on the 98-99% tp at WOT problem. I wonder how much that is hurting my trucks performance......?

Thinking about it further, that makes perfect sense!!! :pepsicheer: When I watching the vacuum going to the top of 1st gear, it was 0", then would gradually hit 1" near redline, than all of a sudden 2"!!!!! That makes sense if the throttle blade is starting to shut! Thank you!

So maybe the 90mm tb would be the way to go. LS7 or LS2? I can get the LS7 for 150, but the LS2 is 200. Thanks Zippy!!!

Or maybe the 102? I am planning to do the 427 and the TVS 2300 with spacer + 4L65-e.....

If you check your tps readings you'll find that the 87mm will be closing at high rpm. The only 87mm throttle bodies that have the ability to handle that much airflow are the one's from the LSA and LS9. The truck version has a weak motor and can't handle it.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

The 102 would be the way to go, but other than Ray I think that would be your only option for putting the 102 on a Radix. The LS2 and LS7 car throttle bodies are the same piece. The LS2 truck version you don't want. Go for an LS3/L76/L99/LS7 or LS2/LS7. Just make sure you are dead on what it came off of. I can get you the part number for one of them as I have one sitting at work last I knew. One of the other members on here had the same problem recently and his was getting so bad it would go into reduced power at times. When it didn't it would lose 20% of throttle opening at high rpm. They get worse with more miles on them. PM me your timing on the meth, I'm curious as to how agressive you'd made it. Are you on a 2 bar yet? I'll help you if I can. As for your times, I think you have the fastest full weight stock wheel time. Krambo can confirm that also.

Zippy,

I'm all ears--lol! You have setup some of the fastest combos around I would value/appreciate any input you want to throw my way driving.gif

I would love to do the 102 on the radix as I'm planning on buying one for my future bigger stroker/bigger blower setup anyways. However, timing isn't good right now for that. I'm thinking that you're right about the blade not staying 100% open and it makes sense thinking back to what my vacuum gauge was doing when I was testing for restriction. Honestly, I think a 90mm tb would put me at 0-1" which would be better and probably sufficient for this combo. I'm not sure a 102 would show much if any difference at this level imo. I've been wrong before though----lol! If you have a part number, that would be great! I need to order one in the next day or two and get the truck dialed in before the tracks shut down for the year. They are only open until Nov. 27th unless there is snow before then.

Timing isn't much more aggressive really. Before the truck didn't want to tolerate more then about 19.5^ pulling in 3rd. Now I can carry 21-22^. I'll send you some logs and my tune. Love to get your input----thanks.

I always thought if you could stay with the MAF it was better for all around driveability and flexibility to changing weather conditions? I know there comes a point where that is hard to do though. I'm open to the idea if it will help me go faster and I can maintain good driveability (I drive this 365 days a year to the tune of about 20,000 miles a year). I also have a 2 bar map sensor (used with my autometer cobalt gauge) on the truck already.

Really? That would be sweet if so. I didn't think I was even remotely close to being the fastest stock wheeled/full weight SSS around! That makes me feel good as I feet that I'm pretty close to maxing out this combo. The tune needs a little work and I have a little restriction on the inlet side still. Mufflers may help.......1.70 - 1.74 60's. I feel if I could get into the high 1.6 60 foots and addressing the other items mentioned, the truck would run 11.90's (in good air). That is my feeling, making it happen is a different story though. From there, smaller/lighter tires/wheels and weight removal would shave some time off too I guess. I guess it would be cool to say I ran a 11.80 or something like that takealook.gif

Oh, and I have to throw much love Krambos way!!! He has helped me tremendously as well getting here. A year or so ago, I would have been happy to get into the mid 12's. Sheez.

The 102 would be the way to go, but other than Ray I think that would be your only option for putting the 102 on a Radix. The LS2 and LS7 car throttle bodies are the same piece. The LS2 truck version you don't want. Go for an LS3/L76/L99/LS7 or LS2/LS7. Just make sure you are dead on what it came off of. I can get you the part number for one of them as I have one sitting at work last I knew. One of the other members on here had the same problem recently and his was getting so bad it would go into reduced power at times. When it didn't it would lose 20% of throttle opening at high rpm. They get worse with more miles on them. PM me your timing on the meth, I'm curious as to how agressive you'd made it. Are you on a 2 bar yet? I'll help you if I can. As for your times, I think you have the fastest full weight stock wheel time. Krambo can confirm that also.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as usual, things don't do as they should in "theory"...... banghead.gif

Added a homemade ram-air to my Volant CAI this week. That was the only change from the last time to the track other then the weather being a tad cooler today. Temps were 48-50^F, 50% humidity and 29.24" - 29.87".

98% of the runs were at 178^ ECT.

I made a baseline hit when I got there and it went 12.32 at 107.42 with a 1.724 60. IAT = 104 - 124 on that run. Swapped on the 90mm TB and changed the scalar value in the tune and went 12.26 at 107.96 with a 1.696 (WHO HOO---1st 1.6!!!!) 60 foot. Based off of previous runs, that should have been a 12.1X in theory but not even close today.

Runs were very consistent in the 12.25-12.35 range all day (made 10 runs total). 60's were pretty good in low 1.7's all day with (2) 1.6X runs. I played with different things (air fuel ratio, timing up top and lock up points) and didn't see any improvements to speak of. I ended up running low on windshield washer fluid on one of my passes----wideband went lean and I started getting knock so I let out. I filled the bottle and tried again, but was still getting knock. They system isn't injecting so I have to ck out why, not sure if I blew a fuse or what not.

So I had 5 minutes left before they closed the track for the day so I loaded last years tune in it and it went 12.32 @ 107.73 HOT SOAKED!!!!!!! WTF!!! Other then being able to hot lap it easily, the methanol injection doesn't seem to be worth much at all. Maybe a mph. Of course none of you guys told me so already.....yellow_loser.gif I should have listened. Live and learn.

It was fun racing though!!! peelout.gif Anyone else hit the track today?

I want to get this in the 11's, but I don't see it happening unless I take weight out or find some more power....or both! Not trying to be a dickhead, but I think it's kind of gay to run the number so to speak with some little tires (that look really dumb and are never used again except at the track) and pulling out seats, tailgates, sub boxes, spare tires etc. But I don't see myself hitting the numbers others have without it. I weigh 280lbs and with my sub box, amps, heavy stock 20's, etc. my truck weighs 5650 across the scales.

I'm sure the shorter/lighter 16" wheels, pulling my seat, sub box and tailgate plus the cooler weather will get me into the 11's, but ^^^ ........I guess I'm being silly......

What is the fastest SS silverado with stock wheels, full weight and radix? Maybe I'm chasing after something that isn't going to happen. I'm miles away from a 11.70 anything at this point---lol! Thanks.

Member Rice Eater was knocking right on the 11 second 1/4 mile door with 22s (Dale Earnhardts IIRC?) and a radix. You'll get their with the help of a tuner that has chimed in already. :chevrolet:

Oh, so close to the 11's. Did you have any weight reduction at all?

Other then being able to hot lap it easily, the methanol injection doesn't seem to be worth much at all. Maybe a mph.

You never know until you test it yourself...that goes with all of the mods. It is interesting you are drawing the same conclusions as others.

Looking forward to your next steps (cough, cough,...CAM). LOL! I am sure whatever it is, you will have fun with it.

So what kind of vehicles did you beat up on at the track? :devil:

We are talking right now and results are already very promising!!! This is the last "official" weekend our track is open and it is supposed to be around 50 and rainy at this point..................That will Suck if so......

Member Rice Eater was knocking right on the 11 second 1/4 mile door with 22s (Dale Earnhardts IIRC?) and a radix. You'll get their with the help of a tuner that has chimed in already. :chevrolet:

Not a bit and I can understand the temptation at this point. That speaker box is Stupid Heavy!!! I'm sooooooo tempted to pull it out and put my tonneau cover back on for starters...... lol

Oh, so close to the 11's. Did you have any weight reduction at all?

You never know until you test it yourself...that goes with all of the mods. It is interesting you are drawing the same conclusions as others.

Looking forward to your next steps (cough, cough,...CAM). LOL! I am sure whatever it is, you will have fun with it.

Ooops, didn't see this. I thought these combos (radix with 6.0's) didn't like a very big cam as the blower was already a tad small for the 6.0)????? I have a GT2/3 right now. What would you recommend?

Yep, I like how the meth injection allows me to make back to back hits with consistency and without loss of performance. I also like how it gives me some more octane which is the whole reason I added it in the first place. So it isn't bad, just a PIA to fill all the time. I was hoping for a bigger gain in power that's all. I think it would really shine if I was running a ton of boost and had crazy inlet temps.

Kills at the track......Hmmm, let's see. 2012 SRT-8 Jeep cherokee, BMW M6, lots of mustangs and camaros, a bunch more "NO ET" vehicles----LOL!, corvettes, SRT-8 challenger, and more I can't remember. I did lose to a few race cars and a neon....LMAO!!!! This car wasn't even an RT, but it was obviously modified. I tree'd him and hole shotted him. Didn't see him appear in my mirror though----that's when I knew I was in trouble! He blew by me----went 11.80 at like 128! closedeyes.gif Fun times. Best part is always when "the cool ones" come over in the pits to ck it out. The only ones that weren't very cool about it was the SRT-8 cherokee and the M6 - LOL!

Ooops, didn't see this. I thought these combos (radix with 6.0's) didn't like a very big cam as the blower was already a tad small for the 6.0)????? I have a GT2/3 right now. What would you recommend?

Well, put it this way, a gentleman up this way had the exact set-up as I did with the exception of CAI, headers (TOG vs ASM) and a CAM. Best we could muster out of his was like a 12.05 IIRC. Our trucks were just about identical twins (including the tuner LOL :wink2: ). He ran the GT2-3 and I ran a more aggressive cam however still blower friendly. Comparing our slips, I would better his 60ft and 1/8th all the time however we were equal on the top end. The extra grunt down low was enough to get a few tenths. I attribute this to the cam.

WOW!!! I would do that in a heartbeat! Problem is I suspect I have a spun cam bearing..........

Was your cam custom? Bigger or smaller then the GT2/3? Were either of you guys using smaller wheels and tires or weight reduction? Thanks Kevin.

Well, put it this way, a gentleman up this way had the exact set-up as I did with the exception of CAI, headers (TOG vs ASM) and a CAM. Best we could muster out of his was like a 12.05 IIRC. Our trucks were just about identical twins (including the tuner LOL :wink2: ). He ran the GT2-3 and I ran a more aggressive cam however still blower friendly. Comparing our slips, I would better his 60ft and 1/8th all the time however we were equal on the top end. The extra grunt down low was enough to get a few tenths. I attribute this to the cam.