Search Button And Random Comments

sleepingcrna

Question

Most of the time i tend to ignore a lot of the laziness or bashing that happens. And sometimes i'm guilty of enjoying the jabbing and trashing that goes on here, but lately it seems like a very helpful and friendly site is getting a little out of hand.....IN MY OPINION only.

Sooooo, this is more simple venting and discussion. I know this would never happen and is probably not even an option, but here goes:

We all do searches and come up empty, then turn to people on the forum for answers. Even when we don't do a very good search, it's pretty evident and we assume the risk of getting flamed when we ask the questions. But maybe people, new and old, don't realize that several of the questions being asked have been asked here at least 100 times over the years. The search on here can be finicky but WORKS when you're persistent. Is there a way to set up a tutorial on how to search for content before being allowed to become a member? I know the answer to that, so no need to answer.

And random comments made to others posts....can you add a tutorial on how to STFU when you don't have anything helpful to add? Some comments are made to pad a post count, some just out of ignorance, some to truly be helpful but aren't and some just playful banter. But it's usually obvious which is which and some people just don't get it. That tutorial may help people understand when to add something and when to STFU.

Again, i know neither of these is an option, but maybe this thread will be a tutorial in itself, at least for those reading it and commenting in hopes of reaching the almighty prize winning 10,000 post Tampax grand prize count. Please feel free to comment. I need help in my quest for 1000 posts.

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I in my opinion (and its just that) I feel if a newb asks a question that has been asked by all of us when we first joined we should answer their question and also provide a link to the most asked questions to help them with any other questions.

Exactly! You folks could learn a lot from the Corvette Forum. Members there pay it foreward.

This isn't supposed to be WORK! Given how few SS trucks are out there? I can see why activity is low.

Some ignorant responses, to honest questions, by new members, is a contributor to those low numbers

Here's a quote by 2BFAST

"Why should they do all the work when at the end of the day you can search just like he did and find the same results. When its said "this has already been posted" thats saying you need to look deeper."

. :yellow_loser:

The are too many Chevy Forums as it is.

If this keeps up, I will move onto another Forum. No sense wasting my time with members who rather spend their time writing this kinda BS. Than offering contructive to help a member. Or a weak search engine where most of the post are 6 months old or older.

Message to the admin, this is why I will not be a paying contributor here. I am a lifetime Memeber on the Corvette Forum. I am happy to pay for that service.

You guys are going to find yourself very much alone.

IMHO

Edited by 1STTEXAN (see edit history)

Exactly! You folks could learn a lot from the Corvette Forum. Members there pay it foreward.

This isn't supposed to be WORK! Given how few SS trucks are out there? I can see why activity is low.

Some ignorant responses, to honest questions, by new members, is a contributor to those low numbers

Here's a quote by 2BFAST

"Why should they do all the work when at the end of the day you can search just like he did and find the same results. When its said "this has already been posted" thats saying you need to look deeper."

. :yellow_loser:

If this keeps up, I will move onto another Forum. No sense wasting my time with members who rather spend their time writing this kinda BS. Than offering contructive to help a member. Or a weak search engine where most of the post are 6 months old or older.

Message to the admin, this is why I will not be a paying contributor here. I am a lifetime Memeber on the Corvette Forum. I am happy to pay for that service.

IMHO

Singling people out won't get you too far here, especially since this is the first post I have seen out of you. You will be finding yourself very much alone as well. With all of your criticism of the site (and how much better the corvette site OBVIOUSLY is ) I'm not sure why you are here in the first place.

Singling people out won't get you too far here, especially since this is the first post I have seen out of you. You will be finding yourself very much alone as well. With all of your criticism of the site (and how much better the corvette site OBVIOUSLY is ) I'm not sure why you are here in the first place.

Thanks for proving my point. I will give you the same response I got. Go search my posts and find out what I am doing here. Why should I do all the work?

:peelout:

Let me think, you're a car dealer. You got the SS in on trade, and was trying to find out some things about it. Like what years are different and the value, amongst other things.

Did I win? dbanana.gif

Yes, yes you did

I was hoping not to have to spell it all out, but i see I should. This was not meant to piss anyone off....only to give some thought to an irritating couple of topics.

I don't think it's wrong to expect that people will do a thorough search of the topic before they ask a bunch of questions and expect someone else to do the leg work. THIS IS A GENERAL STATEMENT !! IT'S NOT ABSOLUTE !! Early on i got flamed once or twice for not knowing my head from my ass but it didn't keep me away. I did, however, learn to come to the next thread more prepared. Not everyone refuses to search first, but it's becoming much more frequent and i think the veterans (of which i DON'T consider myself) get tired of it....POSSIBLY why you don't see some of them anymore. Simply put, do at least a moderate search before you ask a question to prove that you care enough to ask and don't rely on others to do it all for you. If you can't, get prepared for a flamejob...we've seen it a hundred times.

As for making dumbass comments on other peoples threads, providing advice when it's not asked for, or blasting someone and making them feel stupid for asking a question that basic NON-AUTOMOTIVE people like myself don't really understand when they've clearly thought it through and possibly even done a little research, i think it's just common courtesy to reconsider the importance of your thread count and find a way to stay away from the keyboard. Holy shit that sentence ran on for a mile.

I'm not angry about this, and hope no one else is. IT'S JUST A DISCUSSION !

I like this site, this is my first forum.. therefore I don't have much experience, but I have learned a lot in the past year and even I have learned from the search button.lol if i could figure it out anyone can, especially on a smart phone( which is quite hard to do searches on) there's lots of useful knowledge on here you just have to take advantage of it. And if you don't feel like posting up something that you think may have already been answered, pm someone...I have and I don't think people really mind if it's a sincere question. My 2c :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks for proving my point. I will give you the same response I got. Go search my posts and find out what I am doing here. Why should I do all the work?

:peelout:

I don't give two shits why you are here; I don't benefit from you being here, you aren't a contributing member (neither am I), you seem to have a shitty attitude towards the site and its veteran members, already threatening to leave etc...So what do I need you for again, and why is the longevity of the site hinging on you staying a member?

I don't give two shits why you are here; I don't benefit from you being here, you aren't a contributing member (neither am I), you seem to have a shitty attitude towards the site and its veteran members, already threatening to leave etc...So what do I need you for again, and why is the longevity of the site hinging on you staying a member?

:icon_bs::dbanana:

Your sense of entitlement is underwhelming.

I am not going anywhere.

:pepsicheer:

Here's a quote by 2BFAST

It doesnt bother me to call someone out on a forum and you arent any different. This post shows how ignorent you are and the reason threads get started like this. Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can assure you majority on this site will flame your opinion in a hurry which is already obvious.

I have been on forums since 05 and ill be the first to admit my first couple posts I got flamed and was told the to do a search and I will find what I need. Once I fumbled around and took to the time figure out how the search engine worked I found more information than could read in one sitting. If you cant figure out how the search engine works it scares me you even work on your own truck.

I dont claim to know it all but I will give my advise to the things I have learned from others when it comes to modding cars or trucks. But to come and say that I am not helpful on this forum is another one of your ignorent posts. Iv helped many on here either through posting or PM's even on the phone and they will all back that statement. If I didnt have the answer they needed I refered them to someone I knew would know. Hell I even have a How-To stickied in the How-To section. Yet you call me out and say I dont help?!

Man its simple. Stop acting a fool, stop being lazy, and use the search as much as you can. It will make yours and everyone elses posting better. If you cant seem to accomplish that then stop posting on here and go back to your Corvette forum you claim.

Ok, what the heck, I'll give my two pennies worth here.

I rarely have used the search box and I had found a lot, maybe too much information on different "upgrades"

I've been a member here for just over a year. I browse the site a lot more than I would post on it. My post count would reveal that.

Now, shortly after I bought my truck, the wife and I purchased a 30' travel trailer. Now I know all the gearheads here are looking for more HP to get down the strip faster, or off the stoplights faster and that's all fine and good. I would've liked to have made some performance upgrades as well.

We want to tow our trailer long distance style, and let me tell you, after towing around SE and central Wi. getting 8mpg really sucks the $$$ needed to travel state to state.

Bear in mind the fact that I had no idea we were going to buy a titanic sized trailer when I bought my SS.

There are plenty of mods I could have done to my truck to make it a more economical towing machine, but I'm not about to spent hundreds of dollars to try to squeeze out one or two MPG. When I have looked at some of the articles here, I would get information overload. Even as far as adding a CAI and an open exhaust. But then I need a custom tune. So how soon does one get a custom tune after strarting to mod the truck?? And then there are the tranny upgrades, the Corvette servo and such. I have a brother in law that likes to race and he told me that a rule of thumb is that if you want to shave seconds from your 1/4 mile time, it will cost about $1000/second. That includes parts, and electronic tuning.

So I posted an ad here, http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/74181-trading-off-my-05-1ss/ to let the membership know that there MIGHT be a truck available east of Midway Airport in Chicago soon. I will add to the ad if in fact I end up with a diesel truck this weekend. Will I end my membership here??? probably, only because I won't be able to contribute any experiences that have a direct regard to these neat trucks.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

you know guys when I joined I had a lot of questions and made my share of dumb post too. The thing that really gets me is the rude immature kids that get on here and talk trash for no reason. They think its funny and cool but to be honest it has really turned me away some. I know some of us so called "old timers" lol I love this site and enjoy it and like Brian said I have made some really close friends from this site. The other thing that gets to me as well is these guys who want the magic post count numbers and just post dumb things and yes I am guilty of it too but not to the degree as some of these new folk. Just like the last TOTM contest that was crazy having ppl join just to vote for your truck and that's it. I think the ones who do this need to be warned and if it continues to be a pattern kick them off the site. If some one cause more trouble than they help be gone. Thats just my though on thing yall I know opinions are like butt hole everybody has one but its good to see how everyone else feels as well and I try to make a decision on what I think to what the other members think. After all we are just one big happy family right. :cheers accept Brian :greddy: rofl jk brother.

Justin