Search Button And Random Comments

sleepingcrna

Question

Most of the time i tend to ignore a lot of the laziness or bashing that happens. And sometimes i'm guilty of enjoying the jabbing and trashing that goes on here, but lately it seems like a very helpful and friendly site is getting a little out of hand.....IN MY OPINION only.

Sooooo, this is more simple venting and discussion. I know this would never happen and is probably not even an option, but here goes:

We all do searches and come up empty, then turn to people on the forum for answers. Even when we don't do a very good search, it's pretty evident and we assume the risk of getting flamed when we ask the questions. But maybe people, new and old, don't realize that several of the questions being asked have been asked here at least 100 times over the years. The search on here can be finicky but WORKS when you're persistent. Is there a way to set up a tutorial on how to search for content before being allowed to become a member? I know the answer to that, so no need to answer.

And random comments made to others posts....can you add a tutorial on how to STFU when you don't have anything helpful to add? Some comments are made to pad a post count, some just out of ignorance, some to truly be helpful but aren't and some just playful banter. But it's usually obvious which is which and some people just don't get it. That tutorial may help people understand when to add something and when to STFU.

Again, i know neither of these is an option, but maybe this thread will be a tutorial in itself, at least for those reading it and commenting in hopes of reaching the almighty prize winning 10,000 post Tampax grand prize count. Please feel free to comment. I need help in my quest for 1000 posts.

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is a funny thread!

I have told a lot of guys to use the search button! Not to get my post count up, not to be a dick, and not to make someone feel like shit.

I have never posted a only "Use the search button" though. I have tried to comment and or give advice on the question asked prior to telling them to "use the search button"

The "search button" on this forum works but works if you know how to word it. It's not a google search. But most of the questions asked have the answers a few threads away from their post, or a few pages of searching in the right section.

If you spend some time reading the forum and not just jumping to questions most of the time you can bump up a thread to find out more that has been asked.

Tons of general and very informative info is on this site. The guys that were on here that know their stuff stay away because they are seeing irrelevant posts and don't want to be a part.

I'd like to add these comments: This is by far the best forum I frequent. The friends I have made here, the help I've received I can't thank enough. We all just need to realize we are individuals and expect a response sometimes like use the search. Some of us are tired of answering same questions. Some of us are in good moods and want to reply one day. Some of us are always helpful. If we all remain respectful which 99% of us are then we good. Yes I joke around a lot here only in fun, not to be condescending. If someone ever needs help I offer what I know only with proven results. If not, I help send them in right direction. I say maintain respect, be open minded, don't take posts too seriously and be perceptive to the way somoene posts and is. Again, not to be gay :greddy: but thanks everyone for all your support, laughs and help over the years.

-Aaron

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Post up pics oc the diesel

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Here's a link to the dealer's site. It's the White 2500 Big Horn with the funny decals on the side. I get a kick out of the graphics cuz it actually matches my TT.

http://southoak.com/inventory/details.aspx?s=u&id=NLIL0057.1/DD11014B&d=Dodge&m=Ram 2500&y=2007

I've learned so much about my truck an so much more!!!! my first 20 post were great lmao but anyway way, if you don't like getting popped by a towel get out of the locker room if you know what i mean lol i plan on being here for along time, thanks for all the help i have received, and for the three that love me most 2BFAST, McMhan an ViruSS they broke me into the site, thanks guys thumbsup.gif

Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)

this is the most easy-going forum ever when it comes to answering noob questions. I am a member on 2 other forums and they basically won't tell you shit other then to use the search function if you ask a stupid question. At least on here someone will eventually point you in the right direction!

Well ill throw my 2 cents in haha. So far this site has been a thing of beauty. I came from chevy truck world and fullsize chevy where man if u weren't on ur game and knew everything, u got bashed till finally I said screw it.

This is one of the most chill sites I've been on and very helpful when support is limited up here where I live. I'm guilty myself of not using the search engine but more times then not there is someone to answer ur question and link the post or even point u in the right direction witout shunning u.

Overall I'm stickin with the site even after I one day sell the SSS (which will be never) haha

Logan

you know guys when I joined I had a lot of questions and made my share of dumb post too. The thing that really gets me is the rude immature kids that get on here and talk trash for no reason. They think its funny and cool but to be honest it has really turned me away some. I know some of us so called "old timers" lol I love this site and enjoy it and like Brian said I have made some really close friends from this site. The other thing that gets to me as well is these guys who want the magic post count numbers and just post dumb things and yes I am guilty of it too but not to the degree as some of these new folk. Just like the last TOTM contest that was crazy having ppl join just to vote for your truck and that's it. I think the ones who do this need to be warned and if it continues to be a pattern kick them off the site. If some one cause more trouble than they help be gone. Thats just my though on thing yall I know opinions are like butt hole everybody has one but its good to see how everyone else feels as well and I try to make a decision on what I think to what the other members think. After all we are just one big happy family right. :cheers accept Brian :greddy: rofl jk brother.

Justin

This is how I feel

I love this site. Everyone on here is so helpful, and it’s so much more laid back then other sites. A couple of the forums I am a member of, I’m almost scared to post on our ask questions because I feel that I will be belittled if I ask a “stupid question” but not hear. I have asked many stupid questions (especially when I was new).

I use the search function all the time but sometimes you can’t get the information you need. IMO the search function on this site needs some re-vamping. IF you do a search for lets say “Interior LED Swap” you will get a million search results because it will show you every post with the word “interior” and and every post with the “LED” and every post with “Swap.” I wish that the search function on this site was more like Google, when you search “Interior LED Swap” is should show you the post with those 3 words in a row, then will show you results with “Interior LED” and then “LED Swap” then “interior Swap” then show you results for “interior”, “LED”, and “Swap” I know this kind of technology is expensive, so I don’t see it happening anytime soon, but you can see my point as to why so many people get fed up and don’t use the search function.

I do searches all the time and get frustrated because I have to sift through hundreds of pages and post trying to find my answer, when I could just post a new topic and the chances are pretty good that someone on here will have the answer.

I personally love answering “newb” questions, because I love to share my knowledge with people. It makes me feel kinda special. There are quite a few topics that I feel that I am an expert on and a few I know so so ,and some I have no idea what Im talking about. If there is a “Newb” question asked and the answer can easily be found using the search function, Im not just going to tell that person “just use the search function”. Im going to give my 2 cents and try to steer the person to the right answer by saying things like “Try searching this…..because it may help you out” or “IDK the answer but so and so might”

I also think that most of the post that the OP considers to be random comments are not a bad thing. This site does not exist solely to answer tech questions about our trucks. I am a member here because I love the socialization. I have met lots of great people on here, and made some friends. I love to shoot the shit, and BS with other members. And I can do this without ever leaving my computer desk LOL.

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

This is how I feel

I love this site. Everyone on here is so helpful, and it's so much more laid back then other sites. A couple of the forums I am a member of, I'm almost scared to post on our ask questions because I feel that I will be belittled if I ask a "stupid question" but not hear. I have asked many stupid questions (especially when I was new).

I use the search function all the time but sometimes you can't get the information you need. IMO the search function on this site needs some re-vamping. IF you do a search for lets say "Interior LED Swap" you will get a million search results because it will show you every post with the word "interior" and and every post with the "LED" and every post with "Swap." I wish that the search function on this site was more like Google, when you search "Interior LED Swap" is should show you the post with those 3 words in a row, then will show you results with "Interior LED" and then "LED Swap" then "interior Swap" then show you results for "interior", "LED", and "Swap" I know this kind of technology is expensive, so I don't see it happening anytime soon, but you can see my point as to why so many people get fed up and don't use the search function.

I do searches all the time and get frustrated because I have to sift through hundreds of pages and post trying to find my answer, when I could just post a new topic and the chances are pretty good that someone on here will have the answer.

I personally love answering "newb" questions, because I love to share my knowledge with people. It makes me feel kinda special. There are quite a few topics that I feel that I am an expert on and a few I know so so ,and some I have no idea what Im talking about. If there is a "Newb" question asked and the answer can easily be found using the search function, Im not just going to tell that person "just use the search function". Im going to give my 2 cents and try to steer the person to the right answer by saying things like "Try searching this…..because it may help you out" or "IDK the answer but so and so might"

I also think that most of the post that the OP considers to be random comments are not a bad thing. This site does not exist solely to answer tech questions about our trucks. I am a member here because I love the socialization. I have met lots of great people on here, and made some friends. I love to shoot the shit, and BS with other members. And I can do this without ever leaving my computer desk LOL.

squintnoeswerdrun.gif

Good post, Dan.

I've been here a few years, and done a ton of reading on my search quest's, and what Dan says about getting bogged down with responses that contain just one of your search terms is true. On the other hand, I've gained a tremendous amount of info from reading my search results and my favorites list will prove it.

As far as the antagonistic posts that do come up from time to time, I feel like life's too short to waist in in pissing contests on internet sites. I just ignore em.

I have learned to look for certain names in post's and pay attention to what those folks have to say.

John