Synthetic or not

schmidty77

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on oil types to use. I have bought into the synthetic thing for the past six years. I first used it on a 97' Dodge Dakota for the three years I had it and then in my 00' Chevy Silverado with 5.3 Vortec. Since I've never owned a vehicle much longer then three years straight, What oil is better performing and better for engine life. The only thing that I really noticed was that synthetic doesn't burn off quite as fast which may or may not be a good/bad thing. What's everyone elses opinion. :crazy:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the purposes of lubrication almost any oil is as good as you maintain it.

Nothing wrong with synthetics, but I never run them. I run good old fashioned dino oil, and I have put over 200k miles on pretty much every vehicle I have owned since the late 80's with no problems whatsoever.

The main thing is keeping the oil changed on a regular basis.

RF

• 2 weeks later...

The great enemy of oil (and everything else) is heat. Synthetic oils tolerate heat better than organic oils. Actually, it is the additives in the organic that break down first. If you create a lot of heat from your driving, i.e., heavy towing, very aggressive driving, hard racing, etc., then synthetic may be the way to go. Note that some manufacturers are quietly agreeing that users of synthetic oil can extend oil changes to 5,000 miles.

Mobil 1 is good, I used it for about 25k miles on my R/T and then switched to Royal Purple just to try it. I really didn't think I would notice to much, but I did notice a big difference in the smoothness of the engine as it gained rpms and it ran a bit cooler. You can get Royal Purple from Jeggs for about $4 and change a quart. I am thinking of trying red line, heard good things about them.

I run Castrol Syntec only because when I tried it the first time I watched them pull the drain plug on the next visit. the used oil appeared to be fairly clean for having 3000 miles on it. Unlike the gloppy mud looking mess that oozed out of my other vehicles when my parents had me taking my Isuzu rodeo to Q-Lube. (Back in high school.) I'll have to look in to the mobil-1.

Any synthetic should out perform conventional in terms of oil life, since the carbon chains in conventionals break down relatively easy under heat and pressure (thus all the build up you see after 3k miles). In my Chevelle I run Mobil1 for 6k miles. After 3 changes, I've yet to drain more than slightly discolored oil from the pan. For slightly less agressive driving styles, oil changes between 9-12k miles are reasonable.

For whatever it's worth, I used to work for Mobil in research and have been part of some of the case studies we perform accross the industry. Call me biased, but after seeing test results that aren't published to the general public, I'd never run anthing other than Mobil1.

Archived