Synthetic or not

schmidty77

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:devil: I put mobil 1 synthectic in my ss and it seems to make a difference.

Welcome to SilveradoSS.com, demontweakss. :cheers: Did you also use the Mobil 1 Filter or another brand? I am considering Mobil 1 at the first oil change or sooner :D

Dont put the synthectic fluid in there too early, you will end up burning oil, you should wait at least 1 oil change but im going to wait for 2 changes. Let the rings seat, if you put the synthetic fluid in too early they will not settle in there right (basically what happens) and you will burn oil

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, sorry guys. I have no clue how I missed this thread on oils. :sleep: I just started another one this morning. I guess I should have done a search first, huh? ;) I'll be more careful next time. :D

Dont put the synthectic fluid in there too early, you will end up burning oil, you should wait at least 1 oil change but im going to wait for 2 changes. Let the rings seat, if you put the synthetic fluid in too early they will not settle in there right (basically what happens) and you will burn oil

not quite sure, but don't vettes come from the factory with synthetic oil. if this is the case why don't the rings not seat right in them? :confused::chevy:

johnsen,

I don't know? That's an interesting question because the from what I read, petroleum based oil is better for break-in. If Vette's come with it from the factory then that theory is obviously out the window.

i have heard of this before. not disagreeing with anybody, but the last motor i built for my chevelle, a freind told me about this, i didn't believe him, i used regular oil to break it in only for the simple fact i was going to change it right away and did not want to waste the money on synthetic. but right after that with about 50 miles on it i put in mobil 1. but it also didn't see alot of miles so i could be compleatly wrong and have no idea what i'm talking about (people often tell me that :D ) :thumbs::chevy:

not quite sure, but don't vettes come from the factory with synthetic oil. if this is the case why don't the rings not seat right in them? :confused::chevy:

the vette motors are run for an extended amount of time before they are even put into the car :D

Corvette cylinder walls are double honed at the factory to make them "rounder" and low pressure rings are then used to follow the walls. Single honed cylionders need stiffer ring packs so that they break-in to each other. I built corvette engines in the Flint V-8 engine plant for 30 years.

Corvette cylinder walls are double honed at the factory to make them "rounder" and low pressure rings are then used to follow the walls. Single honed cylionders need stiffer ring packs so that they break-in to each other. I built corvette engines in the Flint V-8 engine plant for 30 years.

This board has a wealth of knowledge, thanks for the info cre8vtung.. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
Note that some manufacturers are quietly agreeing that users of synthetic oil can extend oil changes to 5,000 miles.

My '02 Avalanche has an oil life monitor, which seems to tell me to change my (dino) oil every 5K or so.

Personally, I think break-in has a lot to do with how the engine ends up burning oil.

I flogged my 5.3 Avalanche right off the lot, and the thing doesn't burn a drop of oil in each 5K oil change. I run dino in it now, because hey, it's got that little oil life monitor thing and they (GM) didn't TELL me to run synthetic - which I'm sure they would have it they needed to cover their *sses. :) Plus I'm cheap.

My '00 S10 - I ran synthetic in it for most of it's 90K life, and that thing ran HORRIBLE when it got up there in mileage. I changed it every 4K. I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth now in regards to synthetics. I broke it in nice an easy. It burned a good amount of oil.

Archived