Synthetic or not

schmidty77

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benkey i did pay retail.. my dad argued that he could get it cheaper at his friends shop so we went out there and it was 94 bucks.. looks like we could have saved about 10 bucks just ordering it online from Amsoil.. ~grrr~ oh well... its good knowing i dont have to worry about changing my oil for a while....

Talking about synthetics, how long is everyone going to keep their oil in? With the Mobil 1 and the oil life monitoring system it looks af it wants me to change at about 10 thousand miles. Does anyone think this sounds like a good idea?

I know that I will be throwing away good oil however I will be changing at 4,000 with Mobil 1 5W-30 in the summer and Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter. It seems like cheap insurance to me for a clean engine.

I have a waste oil burner to heat my garage in the winter....that's where the spent oil, tranny fluid, cooking oil and other combustables go. :D

I have always used M1, but haven't decided on what to use in the SS yet.

Always changed the oil and filter in my 2000 Dakota every 3K/3mo.

The SS only has 1700 miles on it so far. I used it for towing 3.5tons for 800miles and it reads oil life left at 78%. I want to change it at about 3K no matter what it reads and put synthetic in.

Until reading this thread I was going to use M1 and M1 filter, but now I am considering the BMK-13 Dual remote Bypass kit and using Amsoil. I'm not sure I like the idea of using the same oil for 20K miles though. I live in Georgia so I don't need to change to a thinner oil in the winter.

Is it really safe to go 20K? also will it void the GM warranty? Amsoil is a bit more expensive per quart than M1, but if you can use it that much longer it would be cheaper in the long run.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dear Shock (sounds like an Ann Landers column, doesn't it?) :D

Here is a site that is nothing but oil talk. That will probably be your best place for info. Here

My $.02. Check with your dlr. about Amsoil. It is supposed to be a great oil but it is NOT API certified. That may (I'm guessing here) be used against you if there was ever a warranty dispute. My feeling, why take chances? All top rated synthetics are good. I'm running Mobile 1 and personally I would not go beyond 7500 miles for an oil change. Just me being anal about my truck but better safe than sorry, right? Especially if you tow something on a reg. basis.

Welcome to the boards, by the way.

braynshock - it pretty much comes down to your comfort level. Amsoil has their own warranty for their products. It's how much you trust their claims.

Using the double bypass filter system, your oil can go much longer than 20k. Even without the bypass filter it is rated for 25k. Remember, you will have two filters with this system. One is a normal full flow filter doing the same everyday job as a regular filter, but the other one is doing much more. It cleans down below where all of your engine damage occurs. They sell oil test analysis kits that will allow you to take an oil sample and the lab will tell you when it is time to change. I had this system in my last truck. All you have to do is replace the filters like you're supposed to.

Amsoil has a preferred customer program where you can get all products at dealer costs that puts it right down there with M1. It costs you $20 up front though.

So, in the long run, it's up to you. I run Amsoil and have now for my last three vehicles, my wife's last three, including current vehicles, my boat, and my new gas weedwacker. Not that the last means anything. I have never had any trouble with any of them. You make the call, both are fine products.

Welcome to site :thumbs:

-Ben

Thanks Lee and Ben,

Lee, that site was great, very informative. I saw a link to this article that I want to follow: Synthetic Oil Study

They are doing a long-term study of different oils and how they hold up without filter changes.

Ben, I think I'm gonna go with the Amsoil by-pass filter kit and test it every 2000 miles to see how it does.

I will prolly run the Amsoil in it first just to see how well it holds up compared to the test in that URL.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Archived