Synthetic or not

schmidty77

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently and have for the last 7 years or so run all Amsoil in all my vehicles. It is already in my SS engine/transmission. Plan on putting in the transfer case, once I research what type of fluid it takes.

Amsoil made the first synthetic. All tests that I have seen, independent or not, still shows them as number one. Their oil filters filter better than regular oil filters and are good for up to 12,500 miles. The oil I have in my SS now can last up to 25,000 miles and I would have to replace the filter at the half-way mark. I prefer to do it at around the 10k mark.

The last truck I owned was a 99'GMC Sierra with the 5.3L. I ran synthetics in it the entire time I owned it. I had installed a double bypass filtration system on it that would clean the oil down to .1 microns. Most engine wear occurs in the .3-.5 micron range. Theoritically, I would never have to change the oil as long as it was not starting to break down. As you stated above, synthetics tend to not break down. I had sample kits that I would send in to have my oil tested and the lab would let me know if there was anything wrong. They have vehicles that have run over 450,000 on one oil change using this system.

The difference between Amsoil and say, Mobil 1, are probably minute. I would stick with the company that originated the idea. And not only that, everything that is made with conventional, they make a replacement in synthetics and it's not hard to find. I even run it in my boat (Mercury 175hp EFI).

As far as mileage goes, I have never been good long enough to get any data after I shifted from conventionals. I just never checked. Amsoil makes a 0W-30 oil that many people who have used it have noticed mileage differences. Most claim about a 5% increase. I think some of their literature even claims a horsepower increase just by switching.

I use their web site to order stuff and get it at dealer costs. I've never got on there to read about any of their products because I get so much about in the mail. Try going to Amsoil to check out some of their products. I think they should have plenty for you to read up on anything.

Didn't have any initial plans to install the double by-pass system on the SS. I may, just not in a hurry.

Once you find a location, which in my 99', I installed under the passenger side brace by the hood hinge. The filters ended up being parallel to the ground. They have pictures posted on their website of this config for the chevy/GMC.

Anyway, once installed, as long as you have the clearance, you can install any size filter you have room for. The object usually is to put the biggest one you can fit and I did. With those two filters and the lines, I added 2 and 1/2 quarts capacity.

No, the standard filter is not any larger. But, if you know the thread size, they give dia and dimensions of their filters and you can put any size you want on there. I plan on upsizing next go around. To give you an idea of the bypass system filters I used, compared to the stock, my full-flow filter I used was probably close to 4 times as big as the stock one on the SS, it would hold over a quart of oil. The bypass filter was even larger.

BenKey:

Thanks a bunch for all the info. You have converted me to AMSoil - already been to the web site and got my order ready. I saw a lot of tests on the net that convinced me this stuff is top shelf. Years ago we used AMSoil in my brother-in-law's road race bike and I had forgotten about it until your post.

ChevelleBoy - Before you go and order - you can become a preferred customer for only $20 for a year. Depending on how much stuff you order, you can almost recoupe that in your first order. Being a preferred customer allows you to get all products at dealer cost, which is a substantial difference.

If you ordered a case of oil and two filters, I think you would make it up vice paying retail. Just something to consider. If you want, tell me the kind of oil you were looking at and I will tell you what it is at dealer cost and you can compare.

-Ben

$94 DOLLARS!!! Ouch. Amsoil is supposed to be a good oil but.....wow...that's a high price for admission, isn't it? I debated between Amsoil and Mobile 1, too. Finally decided on M1 as Amsoil is not API approved and that made me really nervous regarding my warranty.

Good luck, rid. It's supposed to be a good oil. :thumbs:

Archived