FMIC on Z71 w/ STS kit (pics too)

F8L Z71

Ok, finally got my OBX FMIC installed yesterday. :)

Took a lot moe fab work than I thought but it was all actually quite easy the way it went together but had it not been for Rick at Synergy Motorsports it could have been a lot worse. That guy gets INTO his work. I think he actually got a stiffy when he seen how the piping would go together so easy. :eek2: Hahaha

Anyway. We removed the lower air dam to give us some room to work and quickly realized this IC is too long to tuck between the frame rails and would block flow to the radiator if we mounted it behind the grille. :( So we ended up notching the frame with a plasma cutter which created a slot for the IC to slide up into and tuck high enough so that when the airdam is on it wont hang below it.

FMIC%20015.jpg

We then made simple mounting tabs for the IC. There are 2 smaller pieces then welded onto the bottom of these brackets to create an L shapre with a hole on the bottom to screw the IC to.

FMIC%20016.jpg

Here is the IC mounted into place rock solid. My buddy that came down for the install was almost literally hanging from the ends and it wouldn't budge.

FMIC%20022.jpg

Here is the intake piping on the passanger side of the motor. We simply adapted new piping onto the original STS piping that came up from the wheel well.

FMIC%20020.jpg

Here is the driverside piping.

FMIC%20021.jpg

Passanger side piping

FMIC%20023.jpg

Exit piping with MAF sensor and ALKY injection leading to TB.

FMIC%20024.jpg

With the airdam back on. I kinda want to cut out part of the center piece for better airflow and to see the cooler better..

FMIC%20026.jpg

Now for the results of our labors.

We took the truck out for some street tuning with a wideband O2 and some diagnostic software. Ambient temps were about 70deg at this time. We noticed that sitting idling the IATs were at about 104deg. As soon as we rolled onto the street which took all of about 30sec we had already dropped to 90deg or so and once we got rolling at 40mph they dropped to 82deg. Cruising around my static IAT seemed to stick at about 10deg over ambient. Prior to the IC my IATs were 120deg no matter if I was on the freeway cruising or what.

We started testing at low boost which was 6psi prior to the IC install. At WOT the boost needle would move around A LOT more than it used to. It used to just come right up and stick at a # and never move till I lifted. Now the needle would jump up to about 4psi and maybe slide up to 5psi or hit 5psi rigth after a shift but then settle back to 4psi. IATs temps rose to no more than 88deg after a 20mph-100mph run. :) Funny thing is that with the now much cooler IATs the 4psi felt at least as good if not better than 6psi without the IC. IATs on 6psi before the IC were 140-160deg.

From there we tried high boost which was set at 11psi solid before the IC. In high boost I only saw 8psi now with occasional quick spikes of 10psi depending on gear and shifts. My 8psi now felt better than the 11psi I had before. Woot! So we did a BUNCH of 25-100mph runs while data logging and tuning. We were getting ZERO KR. IATs were still in the low 90s at the end of a full run and then drop like a friggin rock after lifting. I swear it would take maybe 20sec before I would drop 10+deg of IAT. IATs at 11psi before the IC were 190deg avg.

So now we decided to up the boost. We eventually got it to 12-13PSI before we got any hint of KR and we were not even sure if it was simply from being too rich in 3rd gear. The wideband was showing 10.8 AFR in 3rd gear in high boost. We dropped timing to about 16deg or so and would only get the KR every once in awhile and didn't look to be form going lean at all. We decided to leave everything right there and just run it a tad rich since the area I live in is always much more hot than the Bay Area and I wanted some safety. On the 12-13psi runs form 25-100mph I maxed out with 107deg IATs!!! :eek2: The really creazy thing is that prior to the IC install my IATs at 13psi were 240deg which even the methanol couldn't fix.

One interesting note. The truck ran leaner at 4psi than it did at 13psi and ran richer overal when doing a 4wd run. We decided to tune it for high boost and in 2wd since that's how most of my racing will be done and it keeps me safest overall.

In all I am VERY pleased with this IC and the work done at Synergy Motorsports. My truck pulls like a monster now (for a big truck) and I even got to totally humilate a poor 96-98 Mustang GT on the freeway on the way hime. Poor sap tried to do a fly-by on me. He started about 4 car lengths back and floored it. By the time I realized what he was doing my buddy yelled "nail it!" so I look over and he blows by me so I mash it and he already has 5 cars on me by the time boost builds but as soon as it does I know he is in trouble. I start catching up faster and faster and by about 125mph-130mph (guessing from how long we had my 100mph speedo pegged) I was blowing by him FAST so I lifted just as I passd him so he could hear the turbo flutter :drive: . He didn't look too happy and vered off the next exit really fast. LOL

Thanks for the pics and results. :thumbs: Is it possible to get a straight on shot? I want to get a feel for how much it hangs below your bumper. You could just email it, if you're BW limited.

Also, did it affect lag any at all? Maybe I missed that?

My batteries ran out before we were finished so I could get a pic with the airdam on but it doesn't hang below the airdam. It actually looks pretty decent and I may trim some of the airdamn to aid airflow but testing last night showed it didn't help much at all. I'm gonna get some pics here in a lil bit though and post em up for everyone. :)

As for lag. I did the .81 housing swap at the same time and I still have less lag than I did with the .96 housing and no IC. Lag is still present but it is tolerable and doesn't hinder me at all in a drag race situation like it used to. I can stall it up and launch with a best of 7psi so far and the truck just rockets out of the hole with TQ steer and everything. The top end is equally impressive if not more so I feel that this was the perfect turbo combo for my application.

7psi launch?? :eek::puke: Bet your tranny loves you :sick:

What about the new MAF location? Have any length issues with the stock harness and how did you run the harness?

Rick thinks the new MAF location is good because it is a little closer to the TB but mainly happy because we kept at least 8"s of straight tubing before and after the MAF to keep the airflow straight.

We had to solder in new wires to extend the MAF is all. Pretty simple stuff.

Great results, i am definitely appreciative of your work on this since i just bought one of these intercoolers for myself. Now you just have to get to the track.

BTW: did you upgrade your fuel pump yet and which one did you go with if you did.

Archived