Chevy High Performance Magazine on SSS

I CORNER

I say this all over the place, but I TRULY believe the stock airbox with a simple drop in filter is VERY hard to beat for throttle responce, fuel economy and all around performance.

I hacked a stock box into all different configs... cold air, ram air...  I ran a UPD for a while.

I wasn't 100% happy with any.

When ASM installed my Radix, they told me don't bother with the Volant, that the stock air box was just fine. They said that if I really wanted more air, just to take a hole saw and cut a hole in the bottom of the stock air box - that this would be just as good as the Volant.

Given that ASM is a Volant reseller, this is saying quite a bit.

I am also anxiously awaiting the results from the VaraRam unit....2-3 mpg increase and 1.4 seconds shaved off the 0-60.... :lol:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if volant claims gains for our vehicles and we actually lose power do we have some sort of recourse? should'nt we at least be able to exchange for this new system? i know this probably happens more often than we find out about but it will really piss me off if i spent $250 to make my truck slower! does anyone have actual dyno #'s for an otherwise stock SS with the volant? i know volant is one of the intakes many of us have chosen so, if it turns out that we are actually losing power, we need to get together and come to a solution with volant. don't you think?

We did lose performance with the Volant.  Since this wasn't expected, we did some follow-up testing to confirm the results.  I don't know if the loss was due to our dryer duct cold air tube or the air box.  However, we tested Volant's new air box for the SS with the actual cold air scoop.  The air box is much bigger and the filter is much bigger.  We had gains with this new air box over the stock air box with the K&N.  I'm not sure when Volant is going to go public with this air box.  We got the very first one.

OK. I just bought my Volant in late April and received the ram-air tube in late May. If they have yet a different bigger box with a bigger filter and tube since then, I am not happy. :banghead: $250 for the box and $150 for the tube plus shipping and Volant knew there was a performance problem with these setups??!! :mad: Also, there is an issue with their custom SSS ram-air tubes, as they do not fit the SSS silver scoops properly (ie. don't stay on without extra ty-wraps or clamps, rub tire if not pulled hard up against silver scoop and twists the silver scoop when installed far enough to clear the tire - NOT GOOD ENGINEERING).

Anyway. CHP thanks for doing the article and keep up the good work! :thumbs: You are clearly honest and are not on the part-vendor's payroll! Thanks. :flag:

Rick R

I am with ben on this one, I don't feel that any box should be used with a FI system. FI should be an open air element, The radix could have been demanding more air than the air box could allow in. But I am just guessing though, for stock or not FI application should be a gain. just My .02 :banghead:

I CORNER

OK. I just bought my Volant in late April and received the ram-air tube in late May. If they have yet a different bigger box with a bigger filter and tube since then, I am not happy.  $250 for the box and $150 for the tube plus shipping and Volant knew there was a performance problem with these setups??!!  Also, there is an issue with their custom SSS ram-air tubes, as they do not fit the SSS silver scoops properly (ie. don't stay on without extra ty-wraps or clamps, rub tire if not pulled hard up against silver scoop and twists the silver scoop when installed far enough to clear the tire - NOT GOOD ENGINEERING).

Anyway. CHP thanks for doing the article and keep up the good work!  You are clearly honest and are not on the part-vendor's payroll! Thanks. 

if volant claims gains for our vehicles and we actually lose power do we have some sort of recourse? should'nt we at least be able to exchange for this new system? i know this probably happens more often than we find out about but it will really piss me off if i spent $250 to make my truck slower! does anyone have actual dyno #'s for an otherwise stock SS with the volant? i know volant is one of the intakes many of us have chosen so, if it turns out that we are actually losing power, we need to get together and come to a solution with volant. don't you think?

:withstupid:

I agree, I just got mine in August. It would really piss me off :mad: to know that I just did more harm then good to my truck. Not to mention I havent seen a increase in milage, I get 12.8-13.0. Oh, And recently I have added a velocity stack and no increase in milage. Maybe its my driving but I try not to get into it too much. :dunno: However, On a positive note, I raced a friend of mine with an SS she has dual flowmaster 40 series dumped nothing more and I beat her by a bit. :smash: So I am totally lost here. I just hope we can get this resolved. :flag:

are your volant systems that much different from a k&n? or just different brand. I have a k&n tube and box with the bottom cut out and vent running from grill to bottom of box. Now you have me wondering about mine :confused: .oh yea and mine was 395.00

I personally think it's turbulence issues with the MAF.

I agree with marc_w. I observed similar problems with an open cone filter and a cold air duct from the bumper. My MAF readings looked like an EKG chart. I think the duct causes turbulence/unbalanced flow across the cone at higher speeds and gives skewed MAF readings.

Currently running paper filter with stock box and cold air duct.

this may turn out to be a dumb question but here goes. some of you are speaking of turbulence @ the maf. would one of those cheap tinny tornados be a possible remedy? i don't recall if they're supposed to smooth the airflow or add turbulence. ihave seen widely varied reviews on these things but i might be willing to try one if it might help.......... also, am i to understand that this test was done onlt on a FI system? would we see different results pn a NA setup?......... does ANYONE have dyno results on NA before and after with only a volant? thanks.

Archived