front end rattle?

Glenn

I have a stock 2003 SS. I have what feels like a rattle that is transmitted thru the steering column mostly when turning corners and on uneven pavement. It actually feels like the shaft in the steering column is loose. The dealer is trying to convince me there is nothing that can be done and blames the factory 20's. Have any of you experienced these symptoms and were you able to correct them?

Hi there Glenn, and welcome to the site.

The rattle you feel in your steering wheel is NOT normal. Some new body style full size GM's do it. There is a TSB out for that problem. They can grease the steering driveshaft (that will last for a month) or they will replace it with a new style. Tell the service manager to get his lazy as up, and look for the TSB. Read this post for more info. Steering shaft rattle.

Just had mine replaced less than a month ago... its just a slight flaw in the design and it happens on all of the GM trucks (or so I am told)

Not dangerous, but annoying none the less. They'll replace the intermediate (sp?) shaft and you'll never be bothered by it again. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned it to my dealer fully knowing what the problem was and they ordered the shaft right then. They also did a search to see if there were any other bulletins on it. They noticed I had not had the tailgate cables replace so they changed them on the spot. If you do not get service like this from your dealer do two things.

!. Call GM they want to know .

2. Find another dealer. You forked out a bunch for that truck and part of the price is expecting decent service.

:chevy:

I mentioned it to my dealer fully knowing what the problem was and they ordered the shaft right then.  They also did a search to see if there were any other bulletins on it.  They noticed I had not had the tailgate cables replace so they changed them on the spot.  If you do not get service like this from your dealer do two things.

!. Call GM they want to know .

2. Find another dealer.  You forked out a bunch for that truck and part of the price is expecting decent service.

:chevy:

i know what you meen. they even work with me on warrenty issues with the motor and suspension. and they know about the radix, nitrous and i'm lowered. these guys are great. :thumbs::thumbs:

My ride was at the dlr yesterday for some warranty work and they confirmed that GM is aware of the problem and has authorized all dlrs to replace the shaft. I was told the back order should take three to four weeks.........was not to happy about having to take the truck back yet again but at least it's going to be fixed.

Archived