Thinking about buying a Silverado SS....

I've always loved the looks of the Silverado SS's, especially in black. Been thinking about buying one. I've found one on craigslist that looks super nice. What you do you think of this.....as far as price/mileage/modifications? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3561163741.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a super nice truck one of the cleanest ones I've seen for sale for awhile. Maybe offer a bit less but otherwise I would assume that is a pretty fair price for it due to the lower mileage and overall condition.

That looks like a super nice truck one of the cleanest ones I've seen for sale for awhile. Maybe offer a bit less but otherwise I would assume that is a pretty fair price for it due to the lower mileage and overall condition.

Thanks for the heads up, figured he wasn't to far off with the price considering it to be so clean/mileage/modifications. Are these trucks pretty bad on gas as well? Any common things that go out or quit working?

Thanks for the heads up, figured he wasn't to far off with the price considering it to be so clean/mileage/modifications. Are these trucks pretty bad on gas as well? Any common things that go out or quit working?

Just as a heads up I did run the book on it and it showing high book on nada is only 15,250 but that is definitely a nice truck so maybe its worth a bit more.

Fairy bad on gas I get about 13 in the city if driving normally and I've gotten up to 18 on a long highway trip. The city mileage can really go down if you idle it a lot or drive them hard. A couple common things to looks for are leaking oil cooler lines, transmission problems, front differential noise, gauge cluster stepper motors (was a recall but since expired), and I'm sure there's more but those are some common problems that have been associated with these trucks.

Just as a heads up I did run the book on it and it showing high book on nada is only 15,250 but that is definitely a nice truck so maybe its worth a bit more.

Fairy bad on gas I get about 13 in the city if driving normally and I've gotten up to 18 on a long highway trip. The city mileage can really go down if you idle it a lot or drive them hard. A couple common things to looks for are leaking oil cooler lines, transmission problems, front differential noise, gauge cluster stepper motors (was a recall but since expired), and I'm sure there's more but those are some common problems that have been associated with these trucks.

Do you drive your's daily? Have you had any of the problems you listed? Thanks for the info!!

Edited by MagnachhargedSS (see edit history)

Do you drive your's daily? Have you had any of the problems you listed? Thanks for the info!!

Mine is my daily driver! Only problems I listed that I've had was oil cooler lines at around 140,000 when I bought it and the transmission started losing 3rd/4th gear somewhere after 150k. I did both repairs on it myself, replaced the lines and pulled the transmission and installed a replacement with 26,000 miles from the junkyard. Everything else has been fine with the truck except for minor problems here and there.

That is a very nice SS, I would offer a little less since the KBB value is less. Byt thats pretty good miles for a 10 year old truck.

The only issue that has been listed that I have had happen was the stepper motors in the cluster, it was an easy fix. It does not happen that often

Looks like a nice truck, but still a little high on the price, these things have lost their value pretty quickly since ive gotten mine a yr ago but thats just my opinion.. throw some wheels on that thing and roll around nice for awhile.. If it drives good with no sign of drivetrain noise or vibration id say its prob good to go, until you want to throw a maggie on it.. :cool:

Edited by skolman91 (see edit history)

Hope to check it out possibily this weekend. If everything checks out, what do you guys think a descent offer would be? $17,000?

The only thing he said that was wrong with it is that the drivers seat heater turns on....then turns off....

Edited by MagnachhargedSS (see edit history)

Probably what I would go in with. Even though it seems kinda of like a lowball, you never know what situation hes in, he might be willing to let go. Check out the forsale list on the forums here, you might find a better bang for your buck. Never know.

As a general rule Most modifications really dont add a value to the car, especailly simple bolt-ons like intakes, exhaust etc... Now if it has a LSX 427 with twin turbos, then yes those mods will add a significant value to the vehicle.

I would just show him what the KBB value is, maybe offer a little more and see if he takes it. But I would not go over $1000 over blue book, So I think $16,000 might be a good price. But 18 is a little hight especially for and 03

Curious what the extra's would cost? Springs, Intake, and Tune....? Let's say the truck books for the $15,250.....there is noway that the extra add up to an extra $3000+. Interior looks super clean which is a plus! Love the stance :thumbsup:

Well lets see..new the items might cost around

Truxedo-$1000.00

Zippy tune-$250.00

Torque converter-$500-1000

Suspension drop-$500-$700

Total would be around $3000.00 not including the t-stat, cold air intake-$250-$300 plus the tranny servos and labor to do all the work.

I would low ball him the worst he could say is no and then find a happy number that agrees with you both.Good luck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2