Turbo 408 stroker build- 03 Siverado SS

shawnss

Well as most of you know. I have blown up my fair share of 6.0 engines over the last few years. I was never easy on the truck so I was never shocked when I started having issues. I have now owned the truck going on 7 years and I have now blown up my 3rd 6.0. Just about a year ago I had collected all the parts to build a stout bottom end for boost. I had planned on building a forged 370. but I had always wondered what it would be like to have a 408. so I just couldn't go through with the 370 build knowing a 408 was only a difference of a crank. So I sold off all the stuff for the 370 and just rocked a stock 6.0 until this past summer I started having issues with it smoking. well I was super busy all last summer and never got around to find out why the truck was smoking until a few weeks back. I decided I needed to get the truck going again so I yanked the smoking 6.0 out are tore her down. turns out I had broke #1 piston again this was now the 3rd piston i have broke in this truck. So its now time to start the 408 build.

A little bit of background on the truck its a 2003 AWD with 56k miles on the chassis. I bought the truck off ebay about 7 years ago with 44k miles on it. it was owned by a older guy who had it turboed. it wasn't turboed long and I had bought it. I bought the truck sight unseen off ebay and traveled 1800 miles to pick it up. I have pretty much changed everything on the truck. I have went through 3 built 4l60e and now it has a stock 4l80 in it. I have added a lot of my own touch's on the truck to make it my own. I even had the truck up for sale at one point and just couldn't bring myself to sell it. that was 4 years ago. My wife has now said I can never sell the truck and she call's it my other girlfriend. she has even named the truck Madusa. she calls it Madusa the bitch. because Im always dumping $$$ into her. So enough of the boring stuff time for build thread.

here are the current mod's the truck has received over the years.

performance:

Detroit Speed works front mount truck kit.

Tial wastegate and Blow off valves.

3.5 inch down pipe with a DHM electric exhaust cutout.

Taylor 10.4 race wires.

Ngk TR6 plugs.

E2 elite engineering catch can.

Autometer gauges. boost,fuel pressure, pyrometer, water temp and oil pressure.

Innovative LC-1 wideband with a Xd-16 gauges.

MSD two-step

Transmission 01 4l80e stock

Circle D triple disk billet converter 3200-3400 stall.

Max-cool trany cooler with press lock lines.

Most everything else is show no go.

Well now off to my plans

plan is to build a 408 for boost. I will be keeping the truck boosted. over all I just want a good running truck that will last. I'm hoping that I won't have to yank the motor for a every long time. I have started ordering parts this part week and parts are starting to show up.

For the motor heres the list of parts I have chosen and will be using for my build. I will be assembling the short block myself.

03 factory 6.0 iron block bored .030 over. decked .007 to clean it up.

Crank: Cailles compstar 4.000 stroker crank.

Rods : Callies H-beam rods with ARP rod bolts.

Pistons: Wiseco K445X3 -15cc boost pistons. GFX ring set.

bearings: Clevite H bearings Main and rods Dura bond cam bearings

Oil pump: SLP high volume pump

Timing chain: Jp performance double roller timing chain

Push rods: Comp 7.400 chrome-moly pushrods

Lifters: Gm ls7 lifters

Rockers: Comp cams trunnion rock upgrade.

Valve Springs: Prc .675 double spring kit.

Camshaft: Comp Cam Tu2 boost cam Specs 236/236 .578/.578 112.5 LSA

Head gaskets: LS9 multi layer gaskets.

Main bolts: ARP stud kits.

Head blots: ARP head bolt kits.

Heads: Factory 317s worked over. Might change to CNC heads but not 100% sure yet.

Fuel system..

Intake: Fast Lsxrt 102mm

Throttlebody: Ls3 92mm with thunder racing X-link

Fuel rails: Fast fuel rails.

Injectors: Deka 80lbs high impedance injectors.

Fuel pumps: dual walbro 400lph

fuel line: -8 feed line with a -6 return line. with a aeromotive FPR

I will be adding to the list as I go. first I want to clean the truck up off the wore mess and get the motor done then I'll start doing everything else. this will be a slow build but If I get lucky I might get it complete for this up coming summer.

I will most likely be upgrading to a bigger turbo that will support the power and not be over worked. My current is only rated to 750 hp. But hat is crank hp so it will probably max out pretty easy on the 408. plus i don't think it will flow enough for this motor. I'm thinking of going with a pt88 or gt91 will see at that point.

here what has shown up this past week so far.

IMG_8211_zps78021a42.jpg

IMG_8213_zps0ba8ac74.jpg

IMG_8214_zpsa7cf7124.jpg
IMG_8216_zpsccb90614.jpg

IMG_8218_zpsc024b543.jpg

IMG_8223_zps1f3b3f72.jpgIMG_8224_zpsa1a576ae.jpgIMG_8225_zpsedb20e3c.jpgIMG_8226_zpsfa5892e3.jpgIMG_8228_zps17487bab.jpgIMG_8231_zpsf87f0ed7.jpgIMG_8234_zpsff6e27c5.jpg

also incase this build doesn't make enough power wiseco and callie's sent me enough stickers to add at least another 150+hp. I'm blown away that callies sent me 5 of their sticks for one crank. then I opened the wiseco piston's and there was 16 stickers in the box Ha.

IMG_8235_zps729b6f7a.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will start with cleaning up the truck and get it how I want it before dropping the motor in. I will be dropping the block off at the machine shop in the next week or so. Im in no rush sense I have so much todo on the truck before I can start putting it back together.

Heres where the truck is sitting as of right now.

IMG_8062.jpg

I have sense started to clean out all of the wires and started the hydroboost swap. the wires running from the cab to the engine bay was a mess so I started clean that out also.

here it is after removing all the wires and starting the hydroboost swap

IMG_8075.jpg

heres inside the cab before cleaning up the wires.

IMG_8180_zpsed115bbe.jpgIMG_8181_zpsda69dde6.jpgIMG_8182_zps03f41454.jpgIMG_8184_zps54a9dcd6.jpg

here it is after a few hours of removing wires and trying to clean it up. it will be fun after it starts going back together. it will be a wiring mess. nothing I cant handle.

IMG_8190_zps3ba635cc.jpg

IMG_8188_zps571a13c6.jpgIMG_8191_zpsf739d8a1.jpg

heres just a little bit I had removed.

IMG_8193_zps28ebc49b.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Three engines and trans in 10k miles? Or did I just read that wrong? Either way should be a nice build. If you don't mind me asking what is your 1st gear mph at redline with your 4l80 with 4.10s?

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

Three engines and trans in 10k miles? Or did I just read that wrong? Either way should be a nice build. If you don't mind me asking what is your 1st gear mph at redline with your 4l80 with 4.10s?

Yes you read that right 3 engines and 3 transmission in only 10k miles. but thats over 6 years. m not sure what the first gear speed was. I never really paid any attention. A few guys said the truck would feel like a dog down low coming off the line but I never noticed it. I upped my stall by 1000 rpm so with that it helped me build more boost making more power right away so I didn't notice anything different.

Dude you have one hell of a project on your hands. Looks like fun lol. I was just wonder because I either want to go with 4.10s or 4.56 gears. Mine definitely isn't a dog down low, it's more of a dog up top but that is because my first gear winds out at 60 mph and 2nd goes to 90 mph.

Dude you have one hell of a project on your hands. Looks like fun lol. I was just wonder because I either want to go with 4.10s or 4.56 gears. Mine definitely isn't a dog down low, it's more of a dog up top but that is because my first gear winds out at 60 mph and 2nd goes to 90 mph.

yeah with that blower I'm sure you have no low end issues. if you went with 4.56 you would only think your top end would be worse??? but you would get there in a hurry. I was readying and a lot of guys say gear's really help.

Looks like an awesome build so far! I've got a LQ9 shortblock I just had all the machine work done to for a 408 rotating assembly. Still need to purchase the rotating assembly. I'll be keeping an eye on your build! Good luck looks great so far...

And your off!!! :peelout:

Im definitely subscribing to this thread. Itll be a nice long build, but im glad you decided to keep her and go through with the new motor. That is pretty crazy though, 3 power plants in 10k. Haha. This is the reason i went forged instead of dropping in the stock long block. Cuz i love to really drive my vehicles. And yes, the stock LQ9 can resist a lot of abuse, but when your pushing as high of cylinder pressures as you will be, forged is the way to go. I know it'll be quite some time before you turn the key, but just remember to break it in properly. Id hate to see a 4th motor go on ya. Especially one as nice as this. Also very excited about your choice to go with the 408. I think you made the right decision. I cant wait to see this build as it starts to unfold. You're going to have a blast building the motor yourself. I know i did. Learned a lot and now i know every nut and bolt on that whole truck. What CR are you shooting for? Have you started shopping for bigger turbos? Which ones are you considering? And, have you talked to Zippy to see what he thinks about all this? Haha im sure you've got his attention with this build too.

And your off!!! :peelout:

Im definitely subscribing to this thread. Itll be a nice long build, but im glad you decided to keep her and go through with the new motor. That is pretty crazy though, 3 power plants in 10k. Haha. This is the reason i went forged instead of dropping in the stock long block. Cuz i love to really drive my vehicles. And yes, the stock LQ9 can resist a lot of abuse, but when your pushing as high of cylinder pressures as you will be, forged is the way to go. I know it'll be quite some time before you turn the key, but just remember to break it in properly. Id hate to see a 4th motor go on ya. Especially one as nice as this. Also very excited about your choice to go with the 408. I think you made the right decision. I cant wait to see this build as it starts to unfold. You're going to have a blast building the motor yourself. I know i did. Learned a lot and now i know every nut and bolt on that whole truck. What CR are you shooting for? Have you started shopping for bigger turbos? Which ones are you considering? And, have you talked to Zippy to see what he thinks about all this? Haha im sure you've got his attention with this build too.

I have talked to Zippy a few times. about my setup. hes the one who really pushed me to building a 408. I was stuck on a 370 for awhile. but its easy to change turbos to support a 408. the comp shoud be close to 9:8:1 with the block being surfaced and heads being 70cc chambers. But If i do happen to changes heads I might do a CNC head with a 68cc chamber to bring the comp up a bit. it will make better power off boost and take less boost to make good HP. as for turbos I have looked at a few different ones. I like teh Pt88 but not sure with a t4 housing it would make good power. some guys stay its to much for a street truck then others say it might not be enough. so I will being calling forced inductions soon or even another turbo company. nothing is set in stone as for the turbo goes. I have enough things to keep me busy until its time for the motor to be fired up. it will be a blast. I can say I like building stuff more than drving them. its just a blast bulding stuff. I can't sit still.

Yeah. I set my compression ratio pretty close to 10.5, only because i wont be pushing huge boost numbers, so off boost (which is 90% of the time) i wanted it to have good power. What are you expecting to push for boost? 9.8 really isnt a bad place to stay IMO. Stock CR is 10:1 and being a 408, its going to be a monster off boost anyway, then when the turbo spools, itll be a whole nother level of insane. Haha. A higher CR with low boost is great, but if your expecting high boost numbers, CR is definitely something that needs to be considered. Bringing up compression might gain 30hp off boost, but dropping it low enough to accept high boost numbers can add 100+hp. If i had a compressor big enough to deliver higher boost (ie. TVS2300), i would have dropped compression lower to accept more boost without preignition issues. But im sure @ 9.8CR with 12+ lbs of boost, you'll have no issues running pump gas, and have awesome power off and on boost. Thats good that you've been keeping in touch with Zippy. I've got an idea of what it takes to build a good motor, only because ive been there and done it, but Zippy really is the top of the food chain. He really knows his stuff and with him by your side during this build, you cant go wrong. He was pushing for me to do a 408 over my 370 as well. He said he cant see the justification in spending $5000 on 6 cubic inches. Haha. And i see his point. But it was either a NA 408 until i could afford a TVS2300 or use the radix i already had and build a boosted 370. So i went the 370 route, with little regrets. It makes great power, but the 408 is the ultimate way to go. Itll have almost as much power as mine, off boost with less stress on the motor compared to me force feeding my 370. And on top of that, you'll be slapping on that upgraded turbo.... Man. Its going to be a frickin animal. i cant wait to see it come together. I also saw you're going with studs. Good choice. Haha. OH! fun fact, the f150 trucks have exhaust manifold studs, while we have bolts. Working at a Ford dealer, i picked up some of these studs and tried them out. They are a perfect fit. And they're like 30 bucks for all the studs and nuts. While ARP wants like $100 for the same studs. Its a cheap upgrade well worth it. They wont loosen up from hot and cold cycles like bolts and they tighten up nicely. I torqued down my long tubes with these studs and they work great! Something to look into. That way your whole motor is studded. Haha.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)