SD OR MAF??

Silverado2469

Ok so I'm in the process of doing a turbo build, I've Been doing tons of research, and every time I feel like I have it down something changes, I was going to go to blackbearperformance for my tune, but they moved their dyno out of California. So since my dad has EFIlive. I think I'm going to tune my truck myself. I've never tuned a vehicle, and have a few months most likely before I have to tune this truck, so I have time to learn and hopefully get it down enough to tune it safely. I'm wanting to run 6-8 psi. Out of a t76 rear mount turbo, 60#injectors. And a 340LPH fuel pump. what is easier to tune. SD or a 2 bar MAF? My dad has tuned lots of vehicles so I can go to him for help if needed but I want to do all work to this truck myself. I will be doing the turbo install myself. And hopefully tuning it myself. I'm thinking of getting the EFIlive this weekend. And practice tuning my truck how it sits now so I can practice. But would a SD tune be much different? So far my understanding of a MAF is it send electrical current to a probe that then gets cooled down by incoming air which causes more current to get pushed through the probe to keep it at a certain degree above the air temp. And the amount of current is equal to the density of the air. Is that correct? And SD takes RPM and the IAT's and a special formula to get the density? I know I need a 2 bar MAF sensor if I stay with that. But if I go SD what do I need? I'm no mechanic. And I'm not a tuner. But I'm pretty good at picking up information. If you keep it in simple English as much as possible. And explain the technical words I should be able to make some sense of it. OR if you know of a good tuner in Southern California. I may just go to them if the price is right. THANK YOU all for the help that you have given. And will continue to give. I've learned SOOO much since I've joined this site. And I appreciate the help.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I forgot to ask, I know on a diesel you can have a switch. 1-5 or 1-2 for different tunes you can load on the fly. For example. 4psi, 7psi, 10, or something. And if you have a boost controller you can adjust it per the tune. Is this possible for a gas motor? I wouldn't mind having just 2. Where I do a street tune, 4psi. And a drag tune of 8 or 10 psi. Thanks again.

Alot of people go with Speed Density once they go with certain build and terms of horse power capabilities. The tuners I have talked to say tuning with SD is the way to go.... Im no tuning god or anything close to it. You can have more than one tun on the fly with a switch just like the diesel guys use, Im just not totally sure what program or you need for it.

I have no idea on where you could go for your tune or dyno sessions. Someone will post more info on your questions.

Ok ya I figured a gas engine should be able to switch tunes on the fly just never heard anyone doing so. And hasn't really looked into it to much. TBH it just popped into my head as I was writing the post. Haha. It would be cheaper if I tuned the truck myself. BUT I will fork out the extra dough to get it done right. If rather get it done right then try to save 3-500$ and blow the motor because I f-Ed up my tune. It's not worth it. But I want to learn how to tune it myself so I can adjust it when I cam it, and possible spray it. And turn the boost up after I build the trans, rear end, and put a forged bottom end in it. (Years down the road) right now I want to run 6-8psi. Looking for 400RWHP. And if I can have 2 tunes. Then ill have 1 set at 4psi. And a track tune set at 8 or 10. 10 psi should be close to 450-475 I'm thinking. The STS kit claims 150 HP at 7 psi. Which should be what right around 400? I think stock dyno is around 240?

Talk to Reynaldo ( chpspecial ). He is a great tuner, uses EFI Live, has a great rear mount set up, and lives in Cali. He will give you all the info you want. IMO he doesn't get enough credit for what he knows about tuning.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Talk to Reynaldo ( chpspecial ). He is a great tuner, uses EFI Live, has a great rear mount set up, and lives in Cali. He will give you all the info you want. IMO he doesn't get enough credit for what he knows about tuning.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! I'm on tapatalk how do I search for a user? Ill see if I can figure it out and send him a message. That would be sweet to talk to someone who is using a very similar set up. Thanks.

I don't know if being able to have two separate tunes on a ls1 ecm is possible? You can have two separate tunes on your computer ad flash them. But it doesn't matter for what you are wanting to do. You just continute out and get your ve table filled out to what you want your max boost at.

I have my truck setup just as you are thinking. My low boost setup (boost controller off) is 7-8 psi, then I flip a switch and it turns on my boost controller and my methanol system an my boost is set at 12-13psi. You don't need two different tunes. Just one, done right.

I'm not planning on running meth. I think that's why your able to change the psi so much. 4psi will require a lot less fuel than 8-10psi. I don't think even a good tuner could tune for that unless I ran meth. But I'm not sure I have no idea. It just doesn't seem like 4-10 psi is able to be on 1 tune. But I have no idea. Hopefully someone who knows a great tuner will post up so I can talk to them about it if they have ever done it. Or chpspecial will chime in. I hope that's the case. Where I can change anywhere from 4-10 psi. On one tune. Haha.

It doesn't matter about the meth. What matters is what your map sensor says. You just need to have your ECM tuned up to what ever about of boost you want to run. If it is going to be maxed out at 12 psi, or 175kpa(or so) on you map and you are going to run like 6 psi normally. You just get it tuned all the way up to 175kpa on your ve table. You don't have to switch tunes. 6psi is 6psi no matter which tune you put into the same vehicle. Meaning that even though you are setup to foot 12psi you don't have to always have it set at that psi in your boost controller.

Wouldn't tuning for 12 psi then running 6 cause it to run rich? Because 6 psi is a lot less than 12 but it was tuned for 12? Or with a SD tune it does the math right? So it takes your rpm with your VE and that calculates boost right? Then it adds fuel compared to boost? Or am I way off?