SD OR MAF??

Silverado2469

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on just building a intake to replace the turbo setup and have a tune for the new injectors to pass smog. Then revolt the Turbo up after smog. So will an SD tune affect that? Or?

If your tune is done properly it will not affect your tail pipe emissions in a negative way. I passed a sniffer for 3 years with my sts setup. You don't have to turn it down either unless they have changed the ways sniffers are done since I had one done. They do an idle test and something aroun 2500 iirc. First off. You won't be making boost. And second. I have had better emission testing done with a well done tune than with the stock setup.

You had said your dad has efi live? I don use it, but I would suggest that you go talk to him and have him show you the program. Ask him to explain a 2bar speed density tune and how the boost is read through the map sensor in the software. Your map sensor will read boost as Kpa. That in turn is all adjusted mainly(lots of other factors here) through your ve table. If he showed you what the ve table looks like and how the ECM reads that table you would understand that one tune could do more than one boost setting. That is the beauty of a turbo setup. If your tune is done right, you can literally just turn up the boost with a boost controller. A supercharge has to pulley down.

Think of it like this. You can get into a half load situation right? Where if you are set to run 10 psi. We will this easy. And instead of going full throttle you go 3/4 throttle. It will not build your full boost. But you might accelerate at 5psi. So your ECM just reads the lower map pressure. You have to be able to fuel for 5 psi to get to 10 psi. It is not ALWAYS going to go straight to 10 psi.

Ya I'm going down to visit my parents this weekend. I'm going to see if I can borrow the EFIlive, and if he can show me a few things on it. When I borrow it. I'm going to buy the lisence. And then write an SD tune without boost, just to get the feel for tuning. Then edit it when I get turbo built. So for an SD tune on a stock truck do I need to buy anything? I'm still a little confused on how a SD tune gets its numbers for the equation. A MAF is easy to understand how it works. But the SD I'm a little confused on. Do I need an IAT reader?

What's a good IAT sensor? And do they just go in the intake? Where the MAF was? Or?

This is the one that I got. I will have to check. but I am pretty sure that you use the two brown wires in the maf wiring harness. Those were the two that you run to this sensor. I put my iat sensor in my charge pipe about 8 inches from the throttle body.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/gm-open-element-iat-sensor-with-pigtail-p-62.html

The turbo will be on in a few months ill have that much time to mess with the tune on my stock truck to learn how to tune. I'm pretty good at picking stuff up. Not to say I'm really smart but I would say I'm average/slightly above. And my dad tuned his diesel so if I get stuck he can help me. He's a longshore mechanic for 34 years I think? And has built probably 20 race cars. Including his 12 second 4x4 3500 4 door long bed. That pulls the front wheel when he launches. He's pretty dang good. But I really want to show him I can do this myself. I'm 21. And he doesn't respect me enough with car stuff. So I'd like to show up one day. And have a turbo'd truck, that runs good and tuned by me. That's why I'm not asking his help in the welding, no the design of the piping or anything. So I'm sorry if my question seem repetitive, or anything else. But I'm going from scratch. And I'm going to finish this. And hopefully by myself.

Well get reading then, read read read then read some more. I started using hptuners about a year ago and have got the hang of the basics but there's still alot to learn. I'm 21 as well, its a great thing doing stuff on your own but be safe about it cause you can destroy your engine with bad tuning. Even with my base tune I probably reflashed my truck 40+ times tweaking and now its pretty dead on. Good luck, and READ!

Thanks man I appreciate it. And ya that's my plan is just reading like crazy. I was gonna buy a DVD series. But when I looked it up it was 300$ :O. So I'm gonna just try and find a few books. Ill pick up EFIlive this weekend and practice on my base tune.