What is a good frame coating or frame protection?

shawnss

I have been throwing around the idea of striping my frame of all the nasty undercoating and having it redone with something else or do it myself. sense I have the time because the truck is getting a new motor I figured this would be a great time to tackle this task. Im not crazy about under coat because it seems like it never fully dry's. seems like you can always just peel it off easy. Im ready to get started soon.

So I was wondering it anybody has coated a frame or something else? if so what did you use and how was the out come were you happy with it? Im looking for something that dry's hard and will last. something thick that wont chip away easily. I have been researching it quite a bit lately. I see a lot of guys like POR-15 but everything I have read about POR-15 that it is a rust prevention. So im would if it would still work for my frame? I will be stripping the frame down to the bare metal. I don't want any of the old stuff left at all.

heres where I got to today. I have along ways to go but I want it done no matter how long it takes.

look at how nasty it looks all dirty and with the dripping factory undercoating.

IMG_7076_zps8a7d84a9.jpgIMG_7075_zps9192fcd2.jpg

this is what it looking like right now. I have along ways to go yet.

IMG_7080_zps1a906615.jpgIMG_7081_zps186e253a.jpgIMG_7084_zps65bcea95.jpgIMG_7086_zpsdcbb17a4.jpg

My ex neighbor used Por-15 on his Sierra Z-71 Pro-Sport Camper Edition's wheel wells and it looked better than stock imo. He also had a blue color, Im guessing it was blue metalic since his was not an SS, but the color variation looked awesome (lines of where the Por-15 began/ended). We compared wheel wells and agreed I needed to do mine :thumbs:

Bill Hirsch miracle paint. No primer needed. It is a moisture cured paint that is rock solid when dry. Not UV stable unless top coated with a clear. Can brush or spray.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Bill Hirsch miracle paint. No primer needed. It is a moisture cured paint that is rock solid when dry. Not UV stable unless top coated with a clear. Can brush or spray. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks ill look into that also. Im open to anything as long as its going to last... I don't want to do this again.

Bill Hirsch miracle paint. No primer needed. It is a moisture cured paint that is rock solid when dry. Not UV stable unless top coated with a clear. Can brush or spray.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Never used it but it is Stacey David approved so it has to be good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Never used it but it is Stacey David approved so it has to be good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thanks I just read up on the POR-15 and yeah it's not good on bare metal. I guess if its bare metal with no rust on it they recommend you to let the frame sit outside and get rained on to get it rusty. Well I didn't work this hard to get it rusty. So I will not be going with POR-15 probably do something else. I have a friend that owns a PC shop so I'm going to check on the price first. I'd like to get the frame powder coated but I'm thinking its going to be through the roof. Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

line-x is the first thing that pops into my head. A friend of mine just had the entire lower part of his truck 2-toned with it (think of where the tan color on a Lariat f-250 would be) and it came out great. Might be too much work of money to do a whole frame though.

Check this stuff out...I use this at work on exposed Condensate piping, You cant tear this stuff up !!! And for touch ups just brush a little on the bad spot and old and new meld together !!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kco-4501/overview/

Ok I'll read into it. There are so many different coatings out there, it's going to be a hard choice.

I also just talked to my buddy who owns the PC shop he said it could coat the frame for $500.00 you guys think it would be better than any coating out there? I have only had one thing coated before and that was a ATV frame. I know coating it myself would be the cheapest route. I could do it for about $300.00 with the coating and all the chemicals to clean it up and seal it. But I don't want to skimp on price if its not going to hold up. I'd rather pay a bit more if the powder coating is going to be better in the long run. If its going to hold up good.