Turbo or supercharger for me?

Ok so I've been looking around. And pretty sure ill be building a custom rear mount turbo, I've started a thread on it. But as I'm saving up money, I've had time to really think. And now I'm not sure which one to do, I had first planned, to do heads and a smallish cam. Somewhere along a tr220ish. (That being the biggest I would have gone) but after searching for heads and a can I realized, I probably wouldn't hit the power I wanted. Around 400-450 to the wheels. I have a 5.3l trans is stock and will remain that way for a while I'm sure, anyways. So I decided easy way to get 400 to the wheels is a turbo. ~8psi. On a rear mount setup. Would work perfect and would help preserve the trans and rear end due to its softer power band. But how would a supercharger do? Is 400 possible relatively easy? And does it have room to grow? After I hit 400. I want to save up build the trans, rear end, then move up to 500+. With this is mind. Is a turbo my best bet? Thanks for the advice guys. I just sold my TV and PS3 tonight for a grand. Next thing to sell is my rims, tires, and shocks, and once I do I'll have roughly 2500-2800. To spend. +- a few hundred.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powerdyne makes a nice little SC, Prochargers D1SC is good too for what you are looking for. You could intall some vette servos to maybe help the transmission out alittle. Regardless over time your transmission will take quite the beating. With FI comes alot of other things you are gonna have to change. I just finally made the jump into the turbo world and man its not cheap. If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time because later on you could be spending alot more because little corners were cut. Just my 2cents man. Sometimes you gotta start small and work your way up. Ive been saving for 3 years now just to get what i wanna get for my build that is coming up. hope this helps out some dude

No I understand completely. I'm expecting to spend pretty much the whole 3k on the turbo build if I do the turbo, rear mounts are cheaper, especially because I'm doing all the fabrication. So that's Saves money, ill be upgrading the fuel system of course, and I already have the Vette servo at home waiting to be installed, ill look into the powerdine SC. I'm not a fan of the pro chargers, but ill look them up as well. Thanks for the input.

Mostly where they mount, and that they act like a turbo, but use a pulley system. I'm sure they work amazing. But I feel a root style, or a turbo is better. Like I understand the concept of it. But I feel if you go that route you might as well just go turbo, or a supercharger I stead of trying to get the best of both worlds. But I've never ran one before. So this is just my opinion.

Mostly where they mount, and that they act like a turbo, but use a pulley system. I'm sure they work amazing. But I feel a root style, or a turbo is better. Like I understand the concept of it. But I feel if you go that route you might as well just go turbo, or a supercharger I stead of trying to get the best of both worlds. But I've never ran one before. So this is just my opinion.

Since when did they act like a turbo? Two different animals you are talking about here......

Maybe I am wrong but don't they have lag? And come on like a turbo? Not near as much as a turbo, but not "instant" like a supercharger, I feel like they tried to take both ideas and combine them into one. Like I said this is just from what little research I have done on them, maybe you can enlighten me on how they work?

Since when did they act like a turbo? Two different animals you are talking about here......

very true one takes power to make power the other uses exhaust pressure to make power I like the turbos better just my opinion

Maybe I am wrong but don't they have lag? And come on like a turbo? Not near as much as a turbo, but not "instant" like a supercharger, I feel like they tried to take both ideas and combine them into one. Like I said this is just from what little research I have done on them, maybe you can enlighten me on how they work?

A centrifugal blower such as a Procharger is a supercharger. It is belt driven and will create boost with engine RPM. Unlike a turbo that takes exhaust pressure to create boost which is where the term "turbo lag" can come to play. A roots blower is a positive discplacement type blower that is also belt driven.

All of them are different animals and all have their pros and cons.

Centrifugal is better IMO, roots heat soak badly. You spend more money cooling them off just to get more timing out of the tune. I loved the torque of my maggie however I would rather have the power higher in the rpm range given the gearing of the truck I feel that is where we need it most.

Edited by kcsilveradoss (see edit history)

Gotcha, I was under the impression because of how they were mounted they did not make boost like a roots style even though they were belt driven.

I have a question. On a front mount turbo running a mild 4-8psi. Do I "need" an intercooler? Was looking. Can get the manifold, and Hot pipes for 1400. Oil lines, and all those fitting under 200, and the buy a turbo, wastegate, BOV, etc. and install it for under 2500. Then later when funds allowed add an intercooler? Would this work?