potato land build , 9's@140mph+ goal

idahoBLKss

Ok. Yes. This is what i was trying to explain. But your heads and motor, being the straw, are the exact same in this build as before. So you have 2 coffee straws side by side. And both are having a mass of air pass through them. 2 sensors are measuring 22psi on both. BUT, a supercharger is blowing air through one straw, and a turbo is moving air through the other. Everything is identical. The straw, being the motor and heads, the psi readings on both... See where im getting at? 22psi with a supercharger and 22psi with a turbo. I guess my question was, whats the difference and how do you expect it to bring you from 11.1s 1/4mi to 9s 1/4mi? I guess like AKSSS said, IATs will be lower. But what other aspects of power are we looking at here?

Boost is boost, wether it is from a blower or a turbo. Then there is efficiency. Your blower will make 10psi and be working its butt off to do it. My 76mm turbo builds 10psi comfortably. It is about halfway spooled at 10psi just loafing along. Heck, you can usually put your hand on my compressor side of the turbo, because I'm not working it to its max. It moves way more air easily. I don't know how else to explain it.

In a nut shell there is more air moving through the straw with the bigger more efficient blower attached to it even at the same psi. I guess you can look at the straw thing. Take two straws one has a 5 year old kid on one on the other an adult male .threw the straw there is a balloon attached to it. Who will be able to blow more air through the straw(motor/heads) and blow the balloon up faster and how much easier ? The adult will and with little effort. Obviously with a bigger straw (heads motor) you can fill the balloon s faster.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

Okay. Haha sorry for the immature questions. I was just a little confused. What really matters is efficiency and power. Boost really means nothing. I was just stuck on 2 forms of compressors producing the same boost numbers, so i couldnt find the difference. But I see where Justin is coming from with his being a bigger compressor and not having to work as hard as mine to reach 8-10psi. Mine will be working its ass off while his is spinning 10psi and not breaking a sweat. But you had a procharger before at 22psi! Not some measely maggie at 8-10psi. Is the turbo THAT much more effiecient and powerful where you'll see 9s as apposed to 11s? Thats pretty damn awesome... I guess if i can get a good deal on a TVS2300, i should jump on it! While the motor may not be able to support the TVS running at its full capacity, i could still run a stock sized pulley and comfortable push 10psi rather than spinning my maggie to death to achieve the same numbers. Plus, IATS would be significantly lower. I dont wanna get too off topic, but you said you could run 22psi on a stock block with a procharger with no issues. Do believe i could do the same with TVS on a block like mine? I didnt know these boost numbers were acheivable with our stock compression... I know justin could handle that kind of boost, but his compression is 8.8 to my 10.4. Im sure you running E85 has a lot to do with your success. Our fuel up here is terrible..

yes it will be that much more efficient and powerfull. will i see 9's ? time will tell , there are allot of other factors that got into making that happen lol . with the right fuel i dont see why you couldnt run high psi. but yes e85 has allot to do with why im able to get away with what i have, it burns allot cooler then pump . just remember heat is your enemy . i think its one of the main reasons you see guys that are running e85 that usually the first thing that goes is a head gasket with a good tuner on board because of the cylinder temps being under control there isnt enough heat to melt a piston or weaken a rod if the tune is spot on and getting the appropriate amount of fuel . instead whats going to happen is you going to be able to build up so much pressure in the cylinder from being able to run allot of boost and timing the the gaskets go first usually .

so basically what youre saying is, Jon, is that your procharger is like a potato, and the turbo is a much bigger, more efficient potato. in which case, with the turbo you can make many more french fries than with the procharger. its all starting to make sense now! we are still talking about potatoes right?! i thought this was the 'Potato Land Build'

Looking forward to seeing the build! I estimate you will need 1200-1300HP at the wheels to comfortably be in the 9's @ 140MPH trap speed (weighing in at the typical 5500# loaded SS weight). Suspension and gearing will play a big part as well.

Turbo is the way to go IMHO!

I dont wanna get too off topic, but you said you could run 22psi on a stock block with a procharger with no issues. Do believe i could do the same with TVS on a block like mine?

You will be close to overspinning the TVS 2300 at those boost levels which will wreck the blower bearings (already been there with a friend). This will require an overdriven crank pulley, jackshaft style 2300 with cog pulley upgrade, and an 8-rib pulley set-up (10 preferred).

Looking forward to seeing the build! I estimate you will need 1200-1300HP at the wheels to comfortably be in the 9's @ 140MPH trap speed (weighing in at the typical 5500# loaded SS weight). Suspension and gearing will play a big part as well.

This is the problem chase ran into. No matter what he did he spun like crazy. Suspension and tires will be a must, even on an awd truck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

man you really think its going to take another 500hp to get into the 9's @ 140? i had to be around 700hp with the D1 @ 124mph. i guess another 15mph is a quite a bit more. the last time i weighed my truck it was right around 5000lbs , it was 54xx lbs with me my wife and baby and car seat , i was 225lbs ,wife 150 ish, baby/car seat 40lbs at the time.

This is the problem chase ran into. No matter what he did he spun like crazy. Suspension and tires will be a must, even on an awd truck. Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

did chase ever put slicks on all 4's? only videos i ever saw was he was on his 22's spinning all 4's lol

I know he had a set of 18 with I believe nittto nt05 and on the street he still smoked them bad.. never made it back to the track... Spinning the 22 with BFG KDW 2 tires at the trucking event, he still pulled off a 10.78 unofficial 1/4 mile time.