Clunking in Steering Column ?

geomcrider

Quick update to those that had the intermediate shaft replaced over 2 months ago.

6 months ago I had the shaft regreased. Temporarily fixed issue. Took back 2 months later and they replaced shaft with new updated shaft. Loose steering feeling came back again and I went in yesterday and found out they have a replacement for the replacement.

All covered under warranty but just fyi if you've already replaced, you may need an updated replacement shaft....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we do our own waranty work? :happysad:

It's a serious pain in the a** for me to get to the dealer and play games with getting rides to and from there for something as simple as tailgate cables... which I could swap in the parking lot in 2 minutes flat.

Anyone know how much the steering shaft costs? I may be willing to pay for it out of my pocket, rather than leave the truck at the dealer.

Anyone know what exactly rattles? I had mine apart, and stopped the rattling by cranking down the center bolt damn tight, and I "externally" lubed up both ends of the shaft. (don't go there) It's rattling again just a bit, but not as bad.

• 1 month later...
i went to the dealer this morning and they ordered the part for me.  they also told me it was on back order.  i should have it installed under warrenty in a few weeks. :thumbs:

Is this being replaced under warranty with no mileage limitations?

I've got 40k on my SS now and have had the noise for about 6k miles... just been too busy to get the truck into the shop.

Still waiting also. They told me they have 35 on order and have only recieved one in the last 2 months. They are gonna lube it Thursday. They said that will work for a month or so untill the new shaft comes in. This is starting to piss me off! :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just took my 44k mile truck in and asked for this to be replaced. The service advisor says that its not a recall item and that it wont be replaced on my truck. I thought this was a recall issue/item and would be replaced outside of warranty?! Anyone have any evidence to support this?

Still waiting also.  They told me they have 35 on order and have only recieved one in the last 2 months.  They are gonna lube it Thursday.  They said that will work for a month or so untill the new shaft comes in.  This is starting to piss me off! :banghead:

I hear ya, ... my dealer ordered this too and it's stil on BO..

i just got the front gears/bearings replaced, rear gears and bearings, drivers armwrest (hole in it fromy by boney elbow) tailight (had one bracket broke off, low idle, tailgate cables done, so i had a 2000 bill at the dealer, they liked it!

haha

:cheers:

Just went in for my 6000 mi service. I also mentioned about the clunk and asked them to check it out.

I came back to the service bay about a half hour after I dropped off the truck and the tech was just finishing up the oil and filter. He saw me watching and came over and told me he still had to replace the intermediate shaft and put on new tailgate cables. THEY ACTUALLY HAD THE SHAFT IN STOCK., but this is a large volume dealer and I imagine they ordered quite a few of these already.

This was quite a change from the runaround that I got from the dealer whereI bought the truck. They just kept telling me that the parts supplier is way behind on backorders and it doesn't do any good to put an order in until they get caught up.

Why couldn't they just put one on order and get on the list. Lotsa B.S. if you ask me.

Anyway, I just pulled their dealer decal off the tailgate...they can get free advertising from someone else.

BTW the truck drives like a dream with that new shaft.

Archived