Magnaflow drone is painful - where to go next?

Black04SSS

Hello folks. I have a problem with my exhaust on my AWD SSS. Here is the story (kind of long, but here goes):

The truck is all stock aside from a K&N FIPK, and the modified cat back exhaust that needs to be changed. I got the truck used about 3 years ago and it had some Thrush chambered mufflers with duals straight out the back. I don't like rear exit exhaust (looks, and I tow occasionally) and I wasn't a fan of the sound, so I ditched the system in favor of a used stock cat back I just happened to stumble onto. I really wanted the side exit and the stock tailpipe look and keep it quieter since I daily drive it and then see if I was happy with the performance before doing any upgrades. There was a problem with the muffler rattling on that used system I put on, so unfortunately I had to replace the muffler.

I ended up deciding on a Magnaflow because it is supposed to flow well and be a little bit louder than stock, but not drone. I ordered the dual 3" in, dual 3" out, 22" long muffler (PN 12599) and installed it in place of the stock muffler. It sounds great under acceleration, not overly loud, nice at idle with a little more rumble than stock, but at and around 70 MPH, it droned like crazy. I called Magnaflow and they said their full Cat Back system has two mufflers before the main muffler that act as resonators so I should try that. So I added two (14" long I think?) 3" round mufflers onto the pipes leading into the muffler so it pretty much mirrors the Magnaflow cat back system aside from using the stock piping and tailpipe. The additional mufflers helped a little bit, but it still resonates and drones extremely loud at and around 70 MPH.

My wife hates it, I have been tolerating it. The tailpipe being on the passenger side means she gets it worse than I do, but I also get a headache after driving for any sort of extended time around 70 MPH, which is pretty much what everyone does on the highways around here. We took a longer road trip once and nearly ended up divorced.

So I have to do something about this. If I could track down a stock cat back, I would swap that in, but they are hard to find (if you have one and want to get rid of it, let me know). I don't like the idea of going back to stock and losing the gain in power, and some of the slightly louder sound, but the droning on the highway is unbearable and not worth it. If I knew, without any doubt, that a different aftermarket muffler would flow decent and not drone, I would try it and just replace the main dual in/out muffler on my system.

So what are your experiences? Is it possible to put a different exhaust system on these things and not have them drone at highway speeds?

Corsa Sport = NO drone

^^ X2

Sorry to hear about your aggravation. The more I hear about guys unhappy with droning exhaust, the cheaper the Corsa system's sound.

Good luck bud. Let us know what you do with it. :cheers:

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

Thanks for all the insight. I have felt torn over the last few years with wanting the added power and liking a little more exhaust note than stock, but hating the drone. But the drone has gotten worse as the mufflers have broken in too, so the time has come to fix it.

Have you guys with Corsa done the full cat back or just swapped the muffler?

Michael - I'll shoot ya a PM about your stock system.

Has anybody done headers (with or without cats) but kept the stock cat back?

I did the corsa sport catback full exhaust first then cut the cats out put straight pipes horrible sound like a cat fighting in a trash can lol. Then did the ARH 17/8 long tubes with the cats from ARH perfect sound at all levels it's a very unique sound I love it I can drive by a police staton no one looks at me until I roll on the throttle

to fight drown, if you have some fab/welding skills, you can make your own resonating chamber. will not eliminate the drowning, but it will move the frequency which causes drowning higher in the rpm range. using the same ID pipe as your existing pipe, T off the exit and run it down the side of your muffler and cap it off..the longer the pipe, will move the frequency higher in the rpm range.

post-2901-0-64495000-1382894729_thumb.png

the stock SS muffler is not a true DI/DO muffler..it has one built into it. on the driver side Y is the chamber.

post-2901-0-37364900-1382894913_thumb.jpg

good luck..

the stock SS muffler is not a true DI/DO muffler..it has one built into it. on the driver side Y is the chamber.

post-2901-0-37364900-1382894913_thumb.jp

Which end is the inlet in this picture? I am thinking it is the top? If so, then the second outlet on the right hand side (of the picture) would act as the resonator function. Or am I not seeing this correctly?

I don't really have the resources to do metal fab work at my house. A little welding, sure, but I can't build what you are talking about on my current system unfortunately.