Magnaflow drone is painful - where to go next?

Black04SSS

Even stock exhaust on an SSS sounds decent to me compared to average vehicles going down the road (like a Prius for example), but I agree, it is a pretty subjective topic. If I want to raise hell or impress people with how loud a vehicle is, I'll drive my Trans Am that runs low 11s and has LTs, no cats, and a single 4" system on it :) . I want my truck to sound "good", and most of the time I like my current Magnaflow setup and feel it does sound good and not too obnoxious but more tone than stock by a long shot. But no amount of good sound and additional flow is worth this drone on the highway. Maybe my current setup with headers and no cats would sound good and not drone... I just don't want to do extensive mods on the truck right now, so I will see if this FloPro is the way to go at least for now. If it doesn't, I will definitely look into adding resonator tubes that run opposite of the flow direction.

Got the FloPro the other day... looks like a nice unit. The outlets on it are custom offset to line up with the factory "Y-pipe" tailpipe instead of being just evenly placed on the face of the muffler. I will be putting it on the truck on Monday.... more to come after that.

So..... The day has finally come. I had the Flo-Pro muffler welded in place of the Magnaflow this morning and all I can say is I wish I would have done this a long LONG time ago! I can't say for sure, but it is probably only slightly louder than stock. I can't remember what mine sounded like with the stock muffler aside from being very quiet. It is significantly quieter than the Magnaflow in all conditions. It is very quiet at idle and part throttle, but does have a nice throaty sound at WOT. I would say it is in the neighborhood of 80-85% quieter than the Magnaflow. BUT! There is ZERO drone at any speed.

The question at this point is will it affect mileage and power negatively, since it really cannot possibly flow as good as the Magnaflow. I pretty consistently get 14.5-14.7 MPG on normal weeks driving to work and a few errands, so I will be able to answer that in a few weeks. Power, I will really never know. I did run the truck on the 1/4 mile with the Magnaflow setup a couple of years ago, and ran 15.1 @ 90. But it was an impulse decision to even run the truck and I got bored watching my wife run her WS6 that I had towed to the track and decided to drop the trailer and run it :) . That will probably never happen again... It should flow better than stock though since it is actually a true 3" dual in/dual out muffler vs. the stock one with it's dual in/single out with resonator.

I am 100% happy with this change. It is exactly what I wanted. If I really feel I lost power and efficiency and want more flow from the exhaust at this point, I will look into long tube headers and high flow cats and keep my quiet muffler even if it does cost me a few ponies.

I agree. It flows less, but probably enough to support my current setup (stock everything except a K&N FIPK and MSD wires with TR55 plugs). It feels pretty much the same, but we all know "The Butt Dyno" is not a precision instrument...lol.

The next mod I do will be the 07+ (aka TBSS) intake and 87/90mm TB, but that will be spring time (tax return). Then probably headers whenever I have the free cash next year.

• 11 months later...

I have a magnaflow dual in/ dual out 2.5" too, I like the way it sounds but at 60 mph and around 1700-2000 in stall at take off it drones pretty decent. My exhaust is pacesetter LT's with 3" to x pipe muffler and 2.5 tails. On my old truck I had the sand headers with 2.5" true dual and individual magnaflows with 0 drone

I have a magnaflow dual in/ dual out 2.5" too, I like the way it sounds but at 60 mph and around 1700-2000 in stall at take off it drones pretty decent. My exhaust is pacesetter LT's with 3" to x pipe muffler and 2.5 tails. On my old truck I had the sand headers with 2.5" true dual and individual magnaflows with 0 drone

Almost the same set up here but the drone is Great sounds like pure Muscle haha. I love it. My next truck will be quieter tho.

• 3 months later...