Magnaflow drone is painful - where to go next?

Black04SSS

Well after much research and debating, I ordered a 2506 FloPro muffler. I talked to them directly and did a lot of reading on various forums and it sounds like that muffler is exactly what I am looking for. Won't break the bank, a little louder than stock, better flow than stock, but no drone. I told the guy I absolutely will not tolerate drone at cruising throttle/speeds. The guy said they have never had a call back or return for a drone problem with that muffler on a 6.0 GM truck. The reviews seem to echo that on all the forums. Seems like some people end up swapping them out because they are a bit too quiet for their taste or want all out flow and don't care about the sound, but I actually want my truck to be fairly quiet as is and then add headers with some high flow cats (or no cats) later on if I want more power/flow/sound from the exhaust. But I daily drive my SS and tow and I cannot have drone.

Thanks for all the ideas and the offers for stock stuff from some of you, I do appreciate it.

I will post up my opinion on the difference once I get it installed.

Way to go on finding one. I have the lq9 in a crew cab. I just wanted a litle better flow and didnt have the money for the proven corsa sport so i went ahead and dropped a dual in single out flowmaster super 40 in it. This was against the advice of my exhaust guy, he said it would be too loud and probably have drone. I had him cut the tailpipe directly behind the axle so that it basically pointed directly at the ground under the passenger side of the rear bumper. I know most people dont like flowmaster and it was a pretty expensive muffler with install (300$ iirc), but it gave it a really deep rumble, great wot sound and i dont have any drone.

Quit throwing parts and new mufflers at it :nono: ... Sound like you need to help equalizing the two banks... Magnaflow is an awesome setup... I have true dual exhaust with two magnaflow mufllers and no cats and I have absolutley no drone... I had some drone and some raspy throttle, almost sounded like a nascar when I got on it, but completley solved this by installing a x-pipe before the mufflers and it was night and day difference... Plus an x-pipe will help scavange exhaust better... I almost missed that sound now becasue it was very intimidating but now I can really hear my radix whine with the 2.8" pulley and that sounds way more intimidating LOL... Also 3" is a little big for running dual exhaust unless you need it due to higher horsepower power adders...

Quit throwing parts and new mufflers at it :nono: ... Sound like you need to help equalizing the two banks... Magnaflow is an awesome setup... I have true dual exhaust with two magnaflow mufllers and no cats and I have absolutley no drone... I had some drone and some raspy throttle, almost sounded like a nascar when I got on it, but completley solved this by installing a x-pipe before the mufflers and it was night and day difference... Plus an x-pipe will help scavange exhaust better... I almost missed that sound now becasue it was very intimidating but now I can really hear my radix whine with the 2.8" pulley and that sounds way more intimidating LOL... Also 3" is a little big for running dual exhaust unless you need it due to higher horsepower power adders...

X2 on the x-pipe! That is my goal for my exhaust.

2003_Supersport, I liked the idea of sticking with the 3", if i am shooting for 500 n/a can i stay with 3" dual, my vmax is 3" dual to a di so super 40 right now, but the plan was to do 1 3/4 lt's to 3 in dual no cats x pipe to muffler of choice at time of install to dumps after axle

I hear ya, I don't like shotgunning parts at anything and typically don't... But I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews on the FloPro. And I talked to them directly. What they explain makes sense to me, but I will refrain from passing full judgment until I get it on the truck.

An X pipe will do nothing to help with resonance - the Magnaflow muffler I have has an X-pipe built into it (the muffler is basically a perforated X-pipe wrapped in a muffler case with fiberglass packing around it).

If this FloPro does not work, I will first off be calling them and calling BS, but at that point I will probably have to add resonator tubes that run along the muffler like the ones pictured on Pt.net

I really like x pipes in the system, i was looking at cherry bomb vortex mufflers, they have a similiar x pattern in them, but they are hybrid mufflers. They are baffled, internally perforated, and packed, but if you look at a cutaway, they are damn near flow through like a glass-pack. Havent heard anything on here about them, but the guy on gearz said they flow like crazy. I want the corsa, but dont have the coin.

basically anything that flows right thru,will sound like crap. Your engine needs back pressure for the performance gain. Going with something that goes straight thru like a glass pack is pointless. Glasspacks are pointless. Any packing in any muffler will eventually start to degrade and burn off. I know when i first got my maganflow it wasnt that loud, then after a few months the packing wore in and the muffler got louder. Forget about packing, perforations. Its about how the muffler is designed, with baffles, height, length, shape, width. A X pipe in a muffler isnt going to do any good. Its just another design to get people to buy them.

A X pipes function is scavenge exhaust gas between both banks of the engine and to get as much exhaust gas to flow evenly between those two banks, to get the exhaust out. A X pipe needs to be placed at the closest center of any vehicle to work efficiently. A X pipe placed in a muffler wont do this. Everyone thinks a muffler is about all sound. Flowmaster is, which is why there products are at the lower end of the performance plateau. There is a science to how mufflers work with exhaust gas, to create the right amount of back pressure, sound, performance gains, working with or without a X pipe, certain sized cubic inch engines etc.

Just a little food for thought.

Based on my visual inspection of the Magnaflow before I put it in back a few years ago, it must flow more than adequately for our trucks. It is straight through with an X, 3" all the way through. I agree that an X-pipe helps flow with the scavenging effect as well. No doubt that it is a great setup for getting the best flow and power, and I do like the sound at idle and under acceleration, it is just the drone that is unacceptable for me. Others might not care. I think exhaust sound and what is acceptable for noise level and drone is very subjective.

I know drone very well. I have a single 4" Flowmaster on my 87 Trans Am that makes somewhere around 450 RWHP, and with 4.33 gears, that thing drones excessively on the highway and is way loud. But it is a limited street use car so I don't care so much and I like how it sounds (first thing removed at the dragstrip is the muffler though :) ). My SSS is my DD and tow vehicle and for that, I want fairly quiet but with better flow than stock if possible.

Magnaflow on my wifes maxima drones like crazy, so does my father in laws dodge. Backpressure is a myth, all the major exhaust tests have proven that, your exhaust has to flow, it needs to be set up so the pulses help pull the next pulse along, if backpressure was needed then you would have to slow down your exhaust and scavenging would be the enemy. The x pipe is a good thing for aiding the scavenging process further down stream, i would rather mine be in the piping before the muffler, but extra scavenging proportional to flow required is always a good thingthe op is wanting to maintain a good flow for performance and the reason I mentioned that I like the vortex design is because it helps the drone with some baffling, perforations and packing. You are right that packing goes bad, but the design of the muffler is for performance minded people rhat dont want the drone and high dbs of some mufflers. I hope I dont sound like I am arguing, I have been checked on the backpressure thing before and it stuck. Plus take a look at the highest hp dragsters out there. Crazy hp, open headers tuned to the motor for ultimate scavenging

Doesnt sound like arguing. Those full out dragsters and people who are track only guys make so much HP that a muffler would restrict. But for everyday use and certain HP levels muffles are needed for the back pressure. I had my Camaro dynod with no muffler and with a muffler, I gained almost 5 HP due to having back pressure, than none at all. It all depends on the setup.

You dont need any back pressure, iv been racing ls engines for quite a while and they always run better with open exhaust, a bullet muffler is the best thing you can use. One car had a h/c/I lq4 with dual 3in exhaust and magnaflow mufflers, I dropped the exhaust and made a pass on straight headers and it went 2 tenths faster. More flow = more torque. Just like going to a larger tube header gives you more torque.

Edited by Jake99 (see edit history)