Exhaust size

KyleODaniel

Would I be losing power if I ran a 3 in. exhaust all the way back from headers? I plan on doing a full exhaust with pacesetter lts, high flow cats, x-pipe and either corsa or borla mufflers, anybody with exhaust experience help me out on this one.

Thanks- Kyle

Anything over 2.5 is an overkill unless you are making about 600hp. 2.5 will flow plenty good. Your set up will be fine with 2.5. Unless your standing on it wide open all the time which I doubt. One of the fastest trucks here has stock SS pipes on it.

Anything over 2.5 is an overkill unless you are making about 600hp. 2.5 will flow plenty good. Your set up will be fine with 2.5. Unless your standing on it wide open all the time which I doubt. One of the fastest trucks here has stock SS pipes on it.

So would this mean I should get a 2.5 in cats/ x-pipe/ and mufflers or if I were to get 3 in. and then just have the piping 2.5 in? or does it matter, sorry for the questions just new to the exhaust world.

If it were me I'd do 2.5 when the exhaust shop puts it on all they have to to is open it just a hair and it will fit perfect. I have 2.5 everything but my cutouts. There 3". My dual in out magnaflow is 2.5. Mine is all custom.belive me it will flow more than enough. I have research exhaust for hours upon hours lol.

Or you could do what I did...

3" from the collectors to where the factory flange/slip connecters were, replacing the factory 2.5" piping. Then use the factory 2.75" piping to 2.5" mufflers.

IMO that will be the most efficient design that is simple...

(it does have a H-Pipe but its hidden by the cross-member in the pics)

d81.jpeg

i7gw.jpg

Or you could do what I did...

3" from the collectors to where the factory flange/slip connecters were, replacing the factory 2.5" piping. Then use the factory 2.75" piping to 2.5" mufflers.

IMO that will be the most efficient design that is simple...

(it does have a H-Pipe but its hidden by the cross-member in the pics)

d81.jpeg

i7gw.jpg

Almost identical setup as mine except I don't have a H-pipe I have a x-pipe about two feet before my two magnaflow mufflers setup like yours :)

ok I know im gonna catch slack for this, but im gonna say it anyway. a 3" system is overkill but will produce the same power if not more. These LS engines love to breathe.PERIOD. The shop I deal with showed me straight up with dyno results why they would like to see me step up to a complete 3" instead of running my current 2.5". I do not have the dyno graphs nor do I have access to them. It showed a 5.3 truck that had a mild cam make 17 rwhp and 8 ft lb more by stepping up to the 3" system. The dyno pulls were an hr and a half on the same dyno not tweaking the tunes between pulls. With a forced induction system or nitrous system a 3" will only help and not hurt as well. SO go ahead and flag me and yada yada yada... but I have seen this for myself and will be upgrading come spring.

ok I know im gonna catch slack for this, but im gonna say it anyway. a 3" system is overkill but will produce the same power if not more. These LS engines love to breathe.PERIOD. The shop I deal with showed me straight up with dyno results why they would like to see me step up to a complete 3" instead of running my current 2.5". I do not have the dyno graphs nor do I have access to them. It showed a 5.3 truck that had a mild cam make 17 rwhp and 8 ft lb more by stepping up to the 3" system. The dyno pulls were an hr and a half on the same dyno not tweaking the tunes between pulls. With a forced induction system or nitrous system a 3" will only help and not hurt as well. SO go ahead and flag me and yada yada yada... but I have seen this for myself and will be upgrading come spring.

Yes that maybe true however what did it do to the torque curve?

Everyone gets hung up on a peak hp number, but forget it takes torque to get these heavy pigs moving.

Im not flaggin you at all. I would run a 3" exhaust as well but not for the tiny peak HP gain. I would run it for the simple fact that it will more than likely be the last exhaust you put on the truck as 600-700hp isn't all that hard to make. Now 1000 is harder and that is about where the 3" stuff will be a hindrance.

from what i remember the curve stayed almost the same as it was with the 2.5" just made a tiny bit (1-2) more in the lower rpms but made much 5+ above 4500 rpms. And that is exactly my thinking as well. I wouldnt run it to squeeze a tiny bit more out of it, but as it would be the last exhaust I would have to buy. Esp with the bug where whatever power you make isnt enough. Plenty of room to grow, which I know most will be doing anyway.