Fabbing my own catback

Brentd

Really simple question. Buying CalSpeed headers with the y pipe. I am a cheap bastard on a budget so i refuse to pay for a damn catback lol. The y pipe has a flange to accept stock 5.3 intermediate pipe that has a two bolt flange constructed with a donut gasket looking metal hump. I just planned on going to oreillys and buying 6ft of stainless steel 3" pipe, the male flange, an aeroturbine and clamping it all to the stock 3" tailpipe that i already have dumped over the axle. Where the hell do i get that damn flange at? Looked into buying an intermediate pipe for 5.3 crew but there are so many options all different bends and little to no description of what size or application they are for. Getting frustrated. I want to order it all at once but i am getting hung up on that damn interpediate pipe

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about cutting off the flange, then getting an exhaust shop to just flare the ss pipe to slip over it and using a stepped band clamp. The headers are coming with band clamps to hook the headers to y pipe and assemble the y pipes. I dont have access to a welding machine and dont have the skill to weld stainless even if i did.

Honestly it might be cheaper to take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the y-pipe at the merge and weld it or flare/clamp it to the factory intermediate pipes rather than trying to fab up a single exhaust yourself. Or ditch the y-pipe all together and cut the factory intermediate pipes a tad shorter to mate up to the header collectors. Im not familiar with the Cal speed headers so I dont know if the collectors and y-pipe are 2.5 or 3" but it wouldnt be difficult to mate up the pipes you already have on the truck to the headers. Just a couple ideas.

Yea...that is the problem... dont have a factory y...I figured I would buy a 3 inch stainless pipe from parts house bout 6ft long and a v band flange from G.I.'s advice. Gonna buy an aero turbine muffler and take it the exhaust shop and let him weld all that up and just band clamp the muffler in place..I have to be able to take all this shit apart...I have had an exhaust completely welded and that will never happen again

Lol...i was gonna use band clamps for the header to y pipe and to assemble the y pipe....so i should lop off the 2 bolt at the back of the y pipe and replace it with flat 3 bolt to connect to my custom bad ass one off catback (lmao)? Danny you know i am out of town and we are in the wifes maxima so i cant see my truck right now, if i just buy a single 6ft long piece of 3" stainless pipe do you think that will be good enough to slap an aero turbine on and reach the factory tailpipe?

FWIW, called Walker Exhaust tech line, and finally got a part number for a 3" mandrel bent (aluminized, but oh well) intermediate pipe with oem style flange. If anybody finds this thread on google looking to convert their dual 6.0 exhaust to longtubes with a y pipe and si/so style exhaust and you have a crew cab......dynomax 55280 is the the one and it is around 55$ give or take depending on who u buy it from. I think you can actually order it through sears too which is kinda funny. This is for the penny pinchers like me that want to make a catback on a budget

Well...for 650, I am gonna have everything to change my factory exhaust ( except the tailpipe, i will get the muffler shop to bend me one)...gaskets, clamps, lt's, y pipe, intermediate pipe, and a Borla XR-1 muffler.....being frugal paid off. Cant wait till it all gets in and i can get to work

Well...for 650, I am gonna have everything to change my factory exhaust ( except the tailpipe, i will get the muffler shop to bend me one)...gaskets, clamps, lt's, y pipe, intermediate pipe, and a Borla XR-1 muffler.....being frugal paid off. Cant wait till it all gets in and i can get to work

No corsa :(