Painting engine cover

Alright so I have tinted my taillights and they came out really good, plus some furniture for my boys, so my rattle can hand has gotten pretty good. I want to paint my engine covers, for those that have done this, any tips or hints. I have waxed and tire shined them, so i know i will have to wag and grease them, but should i sand them before painting? Also i cant for the life of think of me what color to do them. Truck is silver birch, so a loud color probably wouldn't go with it. Maybe gloss black would be the best, but i do have the max logos on the side and a painted red bowtie to match so red may work...i dont know just tossing around some ideas.... What paint did you use? Duplicolor? Yes, i know i could take it to a paint shop, but I would rather do it. Trust me, when i go into something and think I probably cant do it, i hand it over to those who can, this is not one of those things.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on doing mine soon and here's what I picked up on it.

Correct on the degreasing, get all that dressing off with dawn/apc/ipa. Once clean either spray a few coats of adhesion promoter down, or if your using krylon fusion paint for plastics, just spray that right on.

You don't NEED to sand it, unless you want perfectly smooth engine cover. A lot of ppl just leave it textured.

Color, I like simple and color matching, so I'd vote either silver birch or black. The red you have on the logos are only an accent, so I'd leave it as that in the engine bay. Paint the cover silver birch or black, then paint the 'vortech 6000' red as an accent

Duplicolor, rustoleum, krylon paint will all work. I just used duplicolor adhesive promoter, rustoleum paint, then valspar clear on my grille inserts

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

Yea, i have used Valspar paints with great results on wood, never used them on plastics and was leery of doing so because i wasn't sure if the clear would hold up to under hood temps without cracking or turning colors...figured i would do the fuse box, and rad cover. I have the Vortec max covers so i guess just the max in red....i love body matching, but I am sure everyone would agree that birch isn't exactly a sexy color, and not sure if it would be that great under the hood....but after cleaning the engine bay i realized it still needed some flair. The engine covers came out really good, but all the color flaked off the vortec max logo on them and that is what is making me want to paint them.. I would like to paint the reservoirs too but have never removed a master cylinder reservoir before. Figure the rad overflow would be easy to pull though. May look for some plain covers for them and paint those instead.

Well i figured to use an adhesion promoter, just didnt know how the valspar would hold up under the hood. I am a huge fan of valspar quality, just unsure of its ability to hold up to heat...and what clear should i use? Is there a good brand of clear y'all would recommend? I plan on wet-sanding it and compounding them like i did my tails because it makes all the difference. And how are you doing Dan? Hope everything is going better for ya man!

I'd do an adhesion promoter for sure. I have always used bulldog adhesion promoter and never had an issues, I lightly sanded my engine covers first then did adhesion promoter, primer base coat and them a lot of clear. I laid a few coats of primer really thick and they came out pretty smooth. not rough at all.

I'd do an adhesion promoter for sure. I have always used bulldog adhesion promoter and never had an issues, I lightly sanded my engine covers first then did adhesion promoter, primer base coat and them a lot of clear. I laid a few coats of primer really thick and they came out pretty smooth. not rough at all.

I was waiting for Shawn to chime in on this. I've seen pics of his engine covers and they are awesome. Going to do mine like his as soon as I get a chance.

u6u8uru9.jpg

I just degreased mine, scoffed with steel-wool cleaned with alcohol masked them off and shot them with a rattle can. And I think you should do a silver accent as the main color and red to accent that. As for the vortec 6000 I just used a paint pen. Post up some pics when done would love to see the finished product !!!

That looks good man...and yea I will definately post up some pics....Its starting to get cold though and I dont want to spray while its cold, if I grt another warm day like we had yesterday and day before I will try to knock it out...

That looks good man...and yea I will definately post up some pics....Its starting to get cold though and I dont want to spray while its cold, if I grt another warm day like we had yesterday and day before I will try to knock it out...

Same problem here in NJ. The only forecasted days of 50+ is when it's raining, so still can't paint -_-

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore