Descided to build a system for my VHO...

jmgak47

Kinetic all the way, and use a high grade cable as well. Pure copper. And mechman is a badass alternator

I like the Mechman alts. Because you can adjust voltage up to 16volts on some of their alts. And if course they have larger ones as well. As far as wire I like the kneukoncepts I think that's how they spell it. Super flexible too

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well damn, did some research on the alternator and they are no good.

What do I really need?

My amp bench tests usually around 1800 RMS and I do plan a 4 channel later on but nothing crazy. Don't want to go overkill but don't want to go cheap either.

Any help is appreciated.

I always tell people that it is better to have a beefier electrical than too small. If I were building my electrical I would do a single 300 amp alt. either DC, Mechman or excessive amperage. The excessive are cheaper and it shows in the way they look. But haven't really had any problems with them. I would do your big 3. And then one extra battery.

Think it was Mechman I was talking to, but if you do an external reg don't go over 14.5 (max) volt with 12 volt batt...........was told you will cook it.

That's the regular charging voltage. I don't think they would tell you anything different. I have seen people run them at 15. And have no issues. That's my plan if I go that rout. Even on my current set up my voltage will go up to 15.2 sometimes.

Just got off the phone with Mechman and will be going with one of their 240 amp alternators.

They said it will be enough for what I need but not overkill since I will not be cranking it up that often.

• 1 month later...