Brake Fluid Question

peerson

I've been reading the posts concerning our S/S Brakes because I thought my brakes felt a little "mushy". I know that upgrading the lines to a braided stainless steel setup will help this. My question is about changing to a "High-Performance" brake fluid. What will this do to improve braking? Is it necessary for normal street driving? At first, I thought it might be the fact that the truck is brand new and maybe the brakes had to wear in or maybe they just needed bleeding.

Thoughts/Opinions?

TP :flag:

I've been reading the posts concerning our S/S Brakes because I thought my brakes felt a little "mushy".  I know that upgrading the lines to a braided stainless steel setup will help this.  My question is about changing to a "High-Performance" brake fluid.  What will this do to improve braking?  Is it necessary for normal street driving?  At first, I thought it might be the fact that the truck is brand new and maybe the brakes had to wear in or maybe they just needed bleeding.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Normal brake fluid dot 4.1 should do the trick. Dot 5.1 is more often used on circuits. Causes better brake performance under higher temp.

I'm using dot 5.1 on my CBR 929 RR FireBlade...

I don't really see the advantage on a truck.

Just my 2 cents...

Pascal

I've been reading the posts concerning our S/S Brakes because I thought my brakes felt a little "mushy".  I know that upgrading the lines to a braided stainless steel setup will help this.  My question is about changing to a "High-Performance" brake fluid.  What will this do to improve braking?  Is it necessary for normal street driving?  At first, I thought it might be the fact that the truck is brand new and maybe the brakes had to wear in or maybe they just needed bleeding.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Normal brake fluid dot 4.1 should do the trick. Dot 5.1 is more often used on circuits. Causes better brake performance under higher temp.

I'm using dot 5.1 on my CBR 929 RR FireBlade...

I don't really see the advantage on a truck.

Just my 2 cents...

Pascal

:withstupid::thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

For its size and weight this truck has AMAZINGLY good breaks... I believe there was an article that said it had equivalent breaking stats than a BMW 3 or 5 series in the 60-0 testing... I'll see if I can track that down. IMO: I'd say save up the $$$ and do a complete system (rotors, multi-piston calipers, pads) That way you know you've got the best breaking possible and it'll look cool too :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived