Grinding noise

I have heard a grinding noise coming from the front end. It has happened about 5 times now and last for 1-2 sec. It seems to happen within the first mile after sitting for awhile, but Im unsure exaclty when. Could it be transfer case, U-joint?

Thanks

It could be brakes too. The pins for the caliper have to slide, and if they dont have any grease they can cause the pads to bind. Alot of variables. My best suggestion would be to go over the truck, re lube the slide pins, do a visual inspection on the front suspension, and go over all tie rods etc. Better to be safe than sorry. check your diff fluid while you under there and see if its low... You should be able to have fluid come out as soon as you remove the diff plug, If you dont its low.

Have you checked your transfer case fluid?

I'm getting a noise grind/vibration from my front end too and a leak from the front seal on the transfer case

Mostly at 50-55mph or when I let off the throttle.

Thinking it could be u-joint vibration tearing apart the seal/bearing. Maybe carrier bearings are junk (229k miles)

I haven't been able to check tie rods, ball joints, or front dif.

Good luck and keep us posted if you find a fix!

tayldss, I havent check the transfer case fluid yet.

blown346, the grinding would last 1 to 2 sec, which is very a long time. It would make the noise randomly, and I did not do anything in particular. I havent greased the front end in about 3 years. After I greased the front end, the noise has stopped (at least I think it did). I havent greased the idler or pittman arm yet...I have to get a diff. end for my grease gun, but after I greased the noise seemed to stop. Only time will tell. I keep updating the thread as I find things out.

Shawn

Unfortunatly it sounds like you are chasing the problem with guesses. Try to diagnose the problem and ifx it once. I agree that from the sounds of things you may be a bit back on maintenance and that is a good thing to catch up on. On the other hand lets look at stuff that will cause a grinding noise. When it did make the noise were you driving slow, cruising, heavy throttle, turning, stopping, etc. These are all items that will lead to the diagnose for what the real problem is to keep you from spending money on stuff you may certainly not need,.

Zippy, i agree with you that I am chasing the problem with guesses, but I must have lucked out cause the noise has gone away. The noise occured with little to no load on the engine, cruising i guess.

Thanks for the reply,

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a noise grind/vibration from my front end too and a leak from the front seal on the transfer case

Thinking it could be u-joint vibration tearing apart the seal/bearing. Maybe carrier bearings are junk (229k miles)

did you figure this issue out my truck is doing the same thing too

Check the front diff fluid, and wheels bearings. If a wheel bearing feels strong and doesnt move, that doesnt mean the bearing isnt bad. I had a bad wheel bearing and it was still nice and tight. Go over the brakes and make sure the caliper pins and lubed and working freely as well as the brake caliper piston itself.

did you figure this issue out my truck is doing the same thing too

I haven't been home long enough to take a good look at it. I really need to just find a local reputable shop that has the time.

Blown346 made some good suggestions on what to check. Good luck and keep us posted, I will update when I get mine figured out.