Well on my way home from work just getting into town I started to hear a tapping and screatching sound thought it was the truck next to me so kept driving. As I got down the street I could still hear it so thought my engine was knocking so I parked it. I have my valve cover off and on the driver side the second rocker from the front had way to much play. So know my question is how would I know what is bad pushrod seems fine but I'm not sure about the rocker is bad or if it's something more internally bad

not sure how reliable this is on smaller pushrods such as whats in our trucks. but I work on 18 wheelers and an old fashion way of checking the push rods is to drop them on the floor, concrete or something hard, about 10 in off the ground and should all have relatively the same sound. if one is bad you we hear a definite difference in the sound it made

Edited by dieseltech320 (see edit history)

Some push rods will have play as the rocker arm doesnt have pressure on them. I do not suggest dropping them on the floor. You could have a collapsed lifter.

To check that you have to remove the rocker arm, and push on the push rod, If its easily moved downward on the lifter that is your issue.

The best way to check for bent push rods is to put them on glass and slowly roll them.

If it is the lifter and it feels collapsed I would replace all of them with a good set. Since the heads have to come off to get to the lifters, if you have some cylinder heads or extra money to have your stock ones gone thru now is the time. lol

I didn't know what section to post it to. Well I put the new cam springs pushrods and lifters in started the truck and still kind of hear a knocking now I have to drop the pan and see what's going on in the bottom end