If it were me I would have soaked them as in have them be submerged in oil overnight. They should quiet down on their own eventually. The problem is lifters will bleed down once the engine is turned off. If you didnt allow the lifters to soak, there could be air inside the lifters causing the noise.

Did you atleast cover the lifters in oil before you installed them, or used assembly lube on them?

What did you torque the rocker arms down to? You might have either over tightened or under tightened the rockers, that will cause noise and can destroy lifters, or bend pushrods etc.

I'll bite Danny, why not use LS7 lifters? They have been in every GM factory engine from 4.8L to 7.0L from 2006 on and have went through a few revisions. Maybe you can enlighten us on their problem.

As for this truck with it's noise... Your noise if it is lifters should start to go away in a hurry if you have good oil pressure. The knocking noise you heard from your first post may not have been the rocker arm issue, you may have a different lower have issue. Something else to check is to do a part and tool count. When you open and engine it should be like a surgeon. You need to check every tool and part when you are done to make sure none are left in the motor. Another issue I've ran into from helping people over the phone is that some take the oil pump loose and end up creating a problem with the o'ring on the oil pump. You should also check over your rocker arms to make sure you haven't had a needle bearing or two fall out of one.

I covered them with oil before putting them in I torqued the rockers to 24ftlbs it's not knocking I just over guessed it with the tapping noise but I pulled the covers off and the push rods seem to be fine along with the spirngs but the rockers slide side to side a little so I'm stuck on what to check next. And I didn't take off the oil pump and I don't know about the oil pressure because my gauge is burned out

You should be at 22 FT LBS for the rockers. I know alot of people wight dis agree with me here, but Im saying it anyway. A good way to check for oil getting to the rocker arms etc is to remove the valve cover. Get yourself a piece of cardboard and place it near the head. Start the engine at idle and you should see oil squirting out. The cardboard will act as a splash guard. If you see oil up top your in the clear.

Otherwise you can always remove the oil pressure sensor and get a oil pressure gauge and manually check the pressure.

Yes, but that doesnt allow to know if you have enough oil pressure to properly lubricate and remove heat. Thats why i mentioned to be safe to remove the oil pressure sensor, get a oil pressure tester and check that way to make sure you have enough pressure up top.( I think you might be able to rent them, or go to Farm and fleet, harbor freight if you cant rent one.)

EDIT..... Just because there is oil there doesnt mean that you are getting the oil from all the passages your supposed to

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

You won't be able to oil them that way. Did you measure pushrod length? Def make sure you have oil pressure! Sounds like you might have a too short of a pushrod or lost a needle bearing like zippy said. Are you absolutely sure the pedestal that the rockers sit on is absolutely flush on the head?

If you can, take a video and upload to help identify what's going on.

Edited by GI.SS (see edit history)

It would most likely just be on of them. Also regarding pushrod length, most times 7.4's are the correct length but, if my memory serves me correctly, ls7 lifters are a tad shorter than your stockers. If you can move rocker side to side, when the valve is fully closed, it's hard to tell. There should be little to no movement but what you think is loose might be different than what others think is loose. If when the valve is closed. Try to wiggle a pushrod. I'm betting you need to measure as they're a tad short BUT noise is most likely the lifters needing to fill up with oil. Gotta do some checking it's hard to speculate until we have answers on those things. Yes post a video up of the noise.

If you lose a needle bearing that little piece can take out a motor.

We need to know if the 7.4 length pushrod is the right size for ther cam and lifter you chose. Are the rockers still stock? The valves that are closed therer will be some play, but not on all rockers and pushrods. The best way to check is to grab a pushrod with two fingers and try to turn them. Some will move to them not being compressed, but the not all of them.

look at this. This is on a conventional SBC but it will give you a idea of what valve lash is.

Let us know what lifters and the size cam you went with along whether you are using the stock rockers. That will tell us if you have the right length pushrod and arent chasing a phantom problem... Otherwise you will be chasing nothing and driving yourself nuts...

You can send me the video and I can upload it for you.

[email protected] Or text it to me and ill post it up. 847-489-1982