Work on my 317s or spend same on used 243?

I called around and to get my 317s w/ 130k decked/valve job/magnafluxed/etc(no porting though) is $500 Or i can get a set of used 243s w/50k for $475. I'm leaning to the 243s what do you guys think?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to be educated! My knowledge only comes from others who are answering question i ask them. Are the 243s not as capable as ported 317s? I dont know. But i hear how the 243 is a damn good stock head. So i'm gonna take the chance. We'll see.

Everything is effected by budget. Your decision on your heads should reflect that also. Machining heads can get expensive. Sometimes it is better to buy an off the shelf aftermarket head for what you can get cnc'ing done to stock heads.

Just saying.

The 243's will be just fine for your truck though. I can't remember the cc on them? 65cc? You can always put on a thicker head gasket when you get ready to go forced induction.

The 243 and 317 heads are almost identical minus the combustion chamber size. So what works for one will work for the other. The 243 stock will raise compression to that of an ls2

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I went with 243's. They are so cheap if you shop around. I wouldn't bother with the old 317's. You can even sell the old ones for 200 on craigs.

I got 243 off a junkyard sending them out for port and polish locally. The bump in compression is nice and they flow a touch better stock.

243s 64cc

317s 71cc

317s are sand cast heads 5,6,7,8, Hp can be picked up cleaning up the casting flash

243 & 317 ports are the same other wise

035s are semi perminate mold type heads like the 243s but seem kinda rare

243s on a LQ9 should have static compression @ about 11:1

what are you using for a cam?