Work on my 317s or spend same on used 243?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 91 would hurt anything. I've never run anything other than 93 myself. I also plan on doing heads one of these days just don't know which one I wanna use. There are some many different ones out hard to choose. You can make some big power with the right heads and other mods.

True JC I was honestly thinking about going a different route when I had the money for the lsxrt they sell L92 heads ported for around 1400 on jegs i think the flow chart difference between those and other from Texas speed was 1 cfm. But that also means different intake manifold and possibly cam too. They sell ls3 intakes for 250 on eBay. But before I get carried away let me stop there.

With the 243's you are roughly the same compression as the LS2. Make sure to run a TR6 or equivilant heat range plug if you only have 91 octane though. Why would you do the LS9 gasket though and take the loss in compression?

I went with the 317 route back when I got my heads done, nearly 9yrs ago. They are stage III, TEA. I don't remember much else being available when I was tinkering with my truck. Flow numbers were pretty awesome. Not sure if you wanted to spend money on that much work.

You guys making the recs for using 91 done any logging to check your KR? Just curious. I know my truck only likes 93, but overall setups may be different.

What head gasket would be ideal for this set up?

Best would be a set of Cometic .040 thick gaskets with 4.00 bore. If you use a GM gasket just go with the stock gasket. The LS9 gasket has a bore if I recall of 4.080 meaning you will have plenty of empty space doing nothing around the bore at .051" thick. I would have to measure a set to be exact on that number. The stock LQ9 gasket if I recall correctly has a 4.020" bore, but I'll look up some of my notes where I've measured them in the past and post it. Always try to keep the gasket as close to the bore size as possible.