4l60e boom

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm gonna pull a Randy, and complain to the mods.

LMAO......Lets just keep it clean here, the OP is looking for advice/help not a bunch of bickering about peoples balls.

If you guys want to talk about each others ball, fell free to start your own thread in OT.

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

I havn't had a problem "YET" with my 65E... My father and I rebuilt it two years ago with a 3000 stall and raptor components... And I by no means drive it nicely all the time, I don't drive it much but when I do I drive it how I built it to drive quick and fast with jack rabbit starts lol... Especially with the shift kit and servos I have in it, if I don't give it a good amount of gas it wont shift cleanly into second... It's all setup how I like it but I am sure I will wreck another tranny one day as I keep adding mods to my truck...

This will be my first tranny build by myself. I've watched the last 2 rebuilds because I wanted to know what the guy before messed up. The last guy who did it for 20 years and a few local drag guys said he built theirs said he could do it his done quite a few of them. I honestly think my opinion it was a lot of shift pressure and a couple defective parts.

The biggest things to replace or upgrade are the parts that tend to be the weak link in the trans... The main parts that are a must in making a performance trans are the reaction/sunshell ( get the beast reaction shell from raptor aka PATC), get the billet imput and output shafts, kevelar bands, new high performance clutch packs such as alto red eagle as they hold up to the heat better ( the red eagles claim to hold up to 230' or more heat before they break down), do a transgo reprogramming kit, raptor servos, a good stall converter, replace trans filter... I also added a bottle of lube guard friction modifier to my trans with regular oreily's ATF... Above all else drive it nicely and slowly for 500-1000miles before beating on it so everything gets a chance to break in... This is all I did and my trans has held up very well so far for over 4 years...

Welcome to the club, on my 4th here also. :freak:

I would suggest you have the tune checked anyway just to be safe regardless of who did it.

Lastly,I've said it before and I'll say it again, if some of you have issues with each other, take it to PM's and KEEP IT OFF THESE BOARDS. The ban hammer is within reach. :smash:

Well im not a big time trans builder, especially according to my ball less buddy here, but I don't believe in the Z-pack. I don't think adding clutches especially thinner ones is the trick. Again, my opinion. Its the flex of the input drum at the apply plate that takes out 3/4's. Sonnax has come out with a billet input drum that's pretty legit. Higher than giraffe pvssy, but I hear its a nice piece.

Other than that, the list looks good.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

You are having some crappy luck most certainly and yet on the one thing I always bring up. I frequently see people give up on the 65E because they say they are junk (not accusing you of that) when the problem is often the builder. You rarely see FLT's, Rossler's, PATC's, etc failing. If you go back into the pump do the billet steel pump rotor unit from PATC. The forward apply piston that you have broken I am very surprised to see broken with a mod list like yours and your power level. That usually happens from exessive pressure. I would do a billet forward piston from Sonnax to replace that. I would also make sure that the EPC hasn't been touched and that the spacer plate isn't set up with too much pressure for the forward clutch engagement. Your parts list looks like one from someone reading on the internet what they need and not from actual build experience. I know that sounds like a dick of a comment, but I see this all the time and this is always the result. I would also recommend not going back to the Z-Pack. I'm surprised they still sell that. They were very popular for the first year or two after release, but not that great. The have excellent holding power once engaged, but can't handle high power shifts. The new Sonnax input drum as mentioned is bad ass and comes with the piston you broke. It is on sale at PATC without the input shaft for $427. That is a bad ass piece, but pricey when the bill is un-expected. I hope you find a good solution for this. Not sure there is anything I can do for you, but if there is feel free to call.

i talked with patc about a few things here earlier (guy seemed like i was just wasting his time) but i did order just a basic pump kit 13 vane, a new force motor, 4L60E Release Spring Kit, 4L60E High Output Pump Slide Spring, 4L60E, Overhaul Kit 2004 UP,4L60E Heavy Duty 2-3 Shift Valve, 700R4 / 4L60E / 4L65E Billet Forward Piston. I assume the last few builders have done exactly that zippy just because it seems like they just threw stuff in it without any thought or research. I live in the middle of no where so its definitely one of those things that most rebuilders just do stock, th350,th400, and powerglides for dirt track. After reading on numerous tranny builds and calling probuilt, patc, and rpm, Dana at probuilt seemed the most help. We also got what i should be doing figured out with my 3-4 clutch pack clearances, stack up etc..THe new sonnex input drum seems out of my price budget right now. I probably will be getting a hold of you once i buy hptuners so i can send you some logs and get the tune freshened up.