4l60e boom

The last builder was set on using the zpack. He claimed he had quite a few holding at high horsepower ratings but he didnt like when i told him not to order a torque converter id be bringing one once it arrived. Thats my fault for not looking into it more and believing a so called experienced tranny builder.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing I can say about this is that there are many very, very exprienced trans builders, tuners, engine builders, etc out there that are crap. Doing something for many years does not mean you know alot about what you do, it just means you've been doing it for years. I know many in all area's that are crap no matter how many years they've been doing it. Most people have that same thing at their day job. The best cop may not be the oldest cop, the best teacher may not be the oldest teacher, etc, etc. The best thing you can do is to ask why someone is using something and hope they don't repeat what is on the box. The sunshell is the most common upgraded part in the 60/65/70E's and yet how many broken sunshell's have you seen on here? Almost every single time someone tells me they have a built trans and I ask what is in it they start with "it has a beast sunshell" with a grin like they got something figured out. It's a great part, but the newest GM shells break more from driving habits than power. I very rarely see them broken anymore and yet every local builder uses a Beast sunshell, Alto red clutches or Z-Pack, a Transgo kit, pump slide upgrade or springs, and wide band. That's the usual combo and just doesn't hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks zippy. I understand what you mean. I see that working here at the airport also. We found the pump was missing the spring on the little guide and the little rubber that goes between the pump and slide. We checked the force motor and it wasn't consistent in ohms. Along with the input drum was missing the green oring. Lots of questions lots of explanations lots of reasoning later. We're half way back together. We ran into the concern of the lip seals were not sealing very good in the forward and over run piston and having a few other builders look (successful stock rebuilders) we all agreed that I needed to try another set of seals. We received them today and air checkin the drum we have a much better seal. I'm being very cautious as I would like the trans to stay together long enough for me to enjoy my truck and gather other go fast goodies.

• 3 months later...

Well the trans started acting up again. Checked line pressure and it just won't come above 90 psi in any gear. Any recommendations to look at? New boost valve was installed. All seals were changed. Every gear works. Has a stutter in between 1-2 trying to grab 2nd gear, but every other one works. Won't hold the gear past 4 rpm though. Tried uploading a video to photobucket, but it's not showing on upload yet.

I've pulled the trans back out just in case already. I pulled the valve body completely apart and double checked all the bores also. the only thing I can think of is it may have a crack in the input drum even though it air checks fine. I did put a different pump in it the last time along with boost valve and found nothing in the valve body. I'm not sure what else could be causing it.

I don't know much about the mechanics of transmissions but I read this post from member "L8TERBRO" who has a similar problem with his 80E.

Read down to EXGM's response about transmission adaptive functions.

I don't have any idea if this will cure your problem but it does give something else to check out.

Best luck.

EDIT; It would help if I remembered to add the link. :jester:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/87441-4l80e-pressure-drop-during-1-2-shift-only/

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I didn't think it have anything saved since the battery had been disconnected for about 2 months before it went in. It's been sitting a while with the trans out again. I'll have to try it next time it's back in