let the journey begin

Well all hell broke loose yesterday around 4:30...As we were going back with the heads we snapped the very first freaking bolt in the passenger side head... We chased the threads so they were clean as could be. i went back with ARP bolts 75# final torque specs 25# which was made with a 3/8 ratchet, 50# is were we started with the snap on torque wrench. We used the supplied lube which i was just informed by a local guy is where i went wrong...I call BS but what ever...I blame it on a faulty Torque wrench. I welded a 1/2" nut to the table and started to pull on the torque wrench and it vibrated a little, then clicked not till after about ten pulls did it really start to click...My buddy said it never made a noise up till the point the bolt snapped... Anyways we put the driver side head torque sequence went well... We have been fighting this one bolt since 5 yesterday...bought extractors, borrowed all sorts of bits from my buddies at the machine shop next door. i have it drilled straight in the center all the way through and the extractor is not budging it...Any ideas, i thought about buying the correct drill and tap for the M11x2.0 threads but not sure if that will leave me with optimal results...Dont want to buy another Short block as funds are out the window on this....Hope everyone is having a good Sunday :cool: looks like i get to steal the wife car for the week till i can get this sorted out...Had high goals this weekend but one freaking bolt or can you say one jacked up Snap on Torque wrench killed us...To be continued......... :thumbsup:

2dce1266928623a51b1a77bb23031f7a.jpg

This is after the extension snapped of the extractor... Had to line the bore with brass and blind weld about 2" to get it to the top to weld a nut on..92adce4e8f00579a7bbf32df989aef3c.jpg

And here is how she sits now... Time for a cold beer, been a rough weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Sorry to hear man, hopefully it comes out for you. In my experience its usually just a super time consuming process, but it will come out eventually. What pump did you go with? I'm still trying to figure out my fueling options for my turbo build.

Wow. Sorry to hear man, hopefully it comes out for you. In my experience its usually just a super time consuming process, but it will come out eventually. What pump did you go with? I'm still trying to figure out my fueling options for my turbo build.

I used the single 370lph that came with the kit. I'm hopping to get her settled around 10#s and leave it alone.

looks like a project man, im heading down the boosted road myself. should be a fun one once its done!!

No risk no reward! I'm next door to a machine shop so we are in the process of redrilling that one stud out and converting it to a m12x1.75 stud... Hopefully I'll get some hours in the next few days...

19c0a81ffcfeb87574afd149bfd563ec.jpg7aee622f290a6c3bfc066c8bd12da3cf.jpg

Okay that was probably the most nerve racking thing I've done to date... But hole is fixed heads are on and tight! Tomorrow need to drop the oil pan and weld in the bung drill and tap the oil cooler brackets and start running the rest of the hot side. Got my tune in today from black bear... Should be firing up Friday afternoon.. More pictures to come!

Looks awesome! Definitely jealous... How much power you trying to make? Still stock cam?

Still stock cam, while we had it apart i added new pushrods and Comp Springs...I'm hoping to be in the 500-550 range. I'm locking it down at 10#s, As for true numbers i'll never know the closest AWD Dyno is PAt G in Victoria...But Time slips will be the ultimate victory...All that matters to me is that i can stomp a hole in my wife's 550i, yea i know kinda a childish right...

Still stock cam, while we had it apart i added new pushrods and Comp Springs...I'm hoping to be in the 500-550 range. I'm locking it down at 10#s, As for true numbers i'll never know the closest AWD Dyno is PAt G in Victoria...But Time slips will be the ultimate victory...All that matters to me is that i can stomp a hole in my wife's 550i, yea i know kinda a childish right...

Not at all! Same as me, I was gonna shoot for mid 12s and leave it alone. Don't care what numbers it puts down and as long as it gets the times I want. These Honda boys around think the have something. Haha!

I'm sure eventually it'll get turned up but that'll be after the trans breaks....

Good to see that your getting her back together Bryan.

The war story about the broken bolt will be a good beer drinking topic for years.

Haha yes it will... Now on to the new horror, not really just tough... Hot side is almost complete except for the cross over pipe... I'm pulling the pan to weld on a aluminum fitting for the turbos drain line... We dropped the cross member up front played holy hell getting to all the bolts only to realize we are going to need to drop the front diff... To get the oil pan out... Having fun kit so far is pretty much spot on as far as fitment goes... It's all the little things that are taking all the time... Me an my buddy have about 20hrs in it plus the 12 hrs trying to extract the bolt... Be prepared to work... 3858fdae6f9ad423b11d5e22c815582e.jpg