Guys over 400 rqhp/tq

There are a few of us out there that have modified our trucks to increase HP/TQ.

My biggest pain in the butt has been my transmission........

I'd like to hear from the guys that have installed new or modified the transmission........

-What did you do to Modify your Transmission?

-Who did you use (FLP/Rossler/Local Trans Shop/Yourself) and why!

-Any issues or anything you would do different?

Thanks Guys! :thumbs:

There are a few of us out there that have modified our trucks to increase HP/TQ.

My biggest pain in the butt has been my transmission........

I'd like to hear from the guys that have installed new or modified the transmission........

-What did you do to Modify your Transmission?

-Who did you use (FLP/Rossler/Local Trans Shop/Yourself) and why!

-Any issues or anything you would do different?

Thanks Guys! :thumbs:

Jeff,

I have the FLP L5 and 10.5" PI TC with a "turbo stator". Chuck at FLP says its good for 800ish hp. I still haven't got it up in the truck yet, so no SOTP feedback to offer.

What I've done is a really long thread.

If Chuck at FLP says that the FLP tranny is good for 800hp, he must be talking at the crank. Hell, if it could handle that at the wheels, you'd never have to worry about another tranny.

what part keeps crapping out on ya??

good question.... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The first trans was a fix. Something broke and dislodged causing fluid to be blocked.

The second trans went out with a bang! I never found out what was wrong with it, just had a replacement the next day.

This one the third, this one will go in next week. The transfer case is growling and shifts just melt into the next with some clutch slip at high rpm's. The clutch is slipping more often now.

I'll find out more on this one......

Jeff, had you done anything to the tranny? Shift kit? Servos? Both? Larger tranny cooler, better fluid?

I never had a tranny problem with my old setup. I had it rebuilt to handle some more hp, but never had a problem with it before. I was already pretty much at my max hp before I had my tranny rebuilt. My tranny barely showed any signs of wear, much less abuse. Trust me, I beat the hell out of that thing testing tunes.

I really just wonder if you had any of the minor problems after doing the "normal" preventative measures to help with things like slippage?

I just can't figure out why either tranny is so expensive because if i am not mistaken the parts to beef the 4L65e is only around 800.00 bucks.

The same reason that you purchased a Chevy instead of a Ford or Dodge, quality outweighs cost. FLP and I put out quality work.Theirs is higher because they have about a $60,000.00 dyno to pay for on top of more employees and most likely higher rent. They also have a bigger name and a more well known reputation. We both have the same mechanical qualifications which we mean that we expect top dollar for our labor just like executives, doctors and lawyers expect for theirs.

I just can't figure out why either tranny is so expensive because if i am not mistaken the parts to beef the 4L65e is only around 800.00 bucks.

The same reason that you purchased a Chevy instead of a Ford or Dodge, quality outweighs cost. FLP and I put out quality work.Theirs is higher because they have about a $60,000.00 dyno to pay for on top of more employees and most likely higher rent. They also have a bigger name and a more well known reputation. We both have the same mechanical qualifications which we mean that we expect top dollar for our labor just like executives, doctors and lawyers expect for theirs.

I am not trying to slam anyone, i am just trying to figure out if there is any parts or upgrade difference between any of the aftermarket trannies available ? Since JAG has responded, maybe you can list any differences between your tranny and the FLP stage 5.

Archived