Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

51b4c5163c6d98027f341dc602e078dd.jpg

Guess what day it is! Got bored some legs and pork steak... Gonna fry up some fresh taters and garnish with salad... Yes I've had a few... Been a long day cooking is my Karma...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I promise Johnny it's the only thing that keeps me sane! Plus the family enjoys it lol.. It's a win win situation

Sure glad you've got it to help keep the demons at bay Brother. Definitely a plus that your family appreciates it, too.

Smoking can be kind of meditative, to me. A good stress reliever.

I 've been on a roll with ribs, here lately and I ran into a real fine fat rack of Baby Backs last Saturday. Had a days worth of projects lined up over at my GF's barn so I put this rack on my Char Griller Akorn. The Akorn lives at the barn and doesn't get real regular use because of that.

IMO the Akorn is one of the best bang for the buck smokers out there. $300.00 for an insulated "egg" style cooker. GF's son's ferd in the background, (Dead).

DSC03754_zpstjuhy3im.jpg

You don't want to build a raging fire in an Akorn. They will get HOT if you let them. I use the snake quite a bit in this cooker for up to 8 or 9 hours at 225* to 250*.

I light the snake with one alcohol soaked cotton swab. Takes a little while to get up to temp but easy to control.

DSC03740_zpspx8b7czb.jpg

This is my first look a couple hours in. Decided the wrap this rack for about 45 minutes. Threw some local sausage on for a mid smoke snack.

DSC03747_zpszvww6utu.jpg

DSC03751_zpsykxrj3jf.jpg

Bend test about 5 hours in. They passed the probe test too. Time to eat ribs.

DSC03757_zpsqqhscqov.jpg

DSC03759_zpsmxkblked.jpg

Alex. ( Blk_SS), got me interested in Pimento Cheese recipes a while back and Bobby Flay's recipe calls for a roasted and pealed red Bell pepper so this was a first for me. Fired up a little charcoal and roasted that baby. Peeled slick as you'd want. Good addition to Pimento Cheese.

DSC03767_zpsjcul2hrc.jpg

DSC03780_zpsevisop2i.jpg

No plate up pics of a well rounded meal this time. Too much going on in the barn. It all got gobbled up "cowboy style", right off the smoker.

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

Looks good man.. I seen some of those egg style cookers down here for 1200 and up...

Yea, the ceramic ones are pretty high. The Big Green Egg, and The biggest Primo are the top of the heap. I like the look of the big oval shaped Primo but it is up around $1400. I think I want one, but not bad enough yet.

The guys that own either one rave about them.

I am looking at Horizon stick burners, here lately.

damn John all that looks fantastic! I may have to try and roast the bell pepper like you did. Jenn usually buys the ones in a jar. I'm sure it'll give it just a bit more smokey flavor. You got me itching to do ribs again... Been a while, might throw some on on Sunday.

Wow Johnny that looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Muggs. It was a good feed.

damn John all that looks fantastic! I may have to try and roast the bell pepper like you did. Jenn usually buys the ones in a jar. I'm sure it'll give it just a bit more smokey flavor. You got me itching to do ribs again... Been a while, might throw some on on Sunday.

Hey Alex,

The ribs came out real good. Not quite fall off the bone. Real nice bite through. Just rubbed them an hour or two before putting them on the smoker. No sauce during smoking. Didn't even think about dipping them in sauce while eating.

I found this page on a google about roasting and peeling the pepper.

http://toriavey.com/how-to/2010/02/roasted-bell-peppers/

One thing they mention that I hadn't heard before was putting your pepper on as cutting board after you are done roasting, and putting a bowl over it to let it steam for a few minutes to help loosen the skin. I don't know if it helped, (never roasted and peeled a pepper before), but it was real easy to peal.

I roasted the pepper over a small bed of coals for about 20 to 30 minutes, turning it every 5 minutes. Flay says that he prefers the taste of red Bell pepper in Pimento cheese, and after trying it, I agree with him.

One slice down the pepper after steaming and the stem and most of the seeds will just pull away real easy. Just pick around the edges with your fingernail or a knife till you find a loos spot on the skin then pull it off. Mine peeled in around 5 large pieces. I blotted up excess pepper moisture with paper towels before dicing for the pimento cheese. (I added about 4 more ounces of Pimentos to this batch of cheese. Next time I will use two Red Bell Peppers).

DSC03773_zpsdvrfi9ep.jpg

DSC03774_zpszndzxe6w.jpg

DSC03775_zpsz4ln3cav.jpg

DSC03776_zpsxackhxue.jpg

Man that looks good! Hot dogs and burgers tonight... Hosting the young ins!b7836413200a38a800c831f2aa106cbb.jpg

The kids will be happy with the dogs and burgers. (I would be too for that matter).

I'll bet the kids love that wave. We didn't even have bouncy houses when I was a kid, but then I'm older than dirt.

Dude I grew up poor as dirt! Our idea of fun was a tree by a pond lol.. Creeks and rivers is where we were... Even my kids are like the water is not clear lol!

I know what you mean. There were too many kids in my family and Dad didn't make huge money. I remember sand boxes and brothers and the barn and farm fields. Good but lean times. There's a country song, Bill Anderson I think, talking about not knowing you were poor but there was always a family in town that had lots to remind you. Christmas was always a big deal.