Broken Dipstick Tube

Is the motor in the truck or out? I had this happen once before with a motor that was out. I ended up having to drill it out. it was a pain. then had to drop the pan to clean it all. If its in the truck I have no clue how its going to work getting it out. is there anything at the top to possibly grab on to? or weld something to.

I've had 2 sss, Installed LT on both, Had to deal with this twice!

One truck was winter driven, one was a garage queen, No difference, those freakin things don't want to come out sometimes.

You state you can't get it out from top or bottom? by 'bottom' do you mean you've dropped the oil pan?

If the top piece broke off so that the remaining bit is not flared to dip stick size, you should be able to push, hammer it into oil pan, That was what I ended up doing on first truck. but dropping the oil pan to retrieve the piece is a pia.

I ended up there after some progress by tapping the broken piece, then threading a bolt through a socket to pull it out, It pulled half out,and left last bit behind, which ended up getting pushed into pan.

For anyone reading this before they break it, here is my advice to a stubborn dip stick.

** with stock exhaust manifolds installed.

1- soak tube into block area with pb blaster or whatever penetrant.

2- remove bolt holding tube bracket to head

3- pull

4 pull some more, wiggle a bit,

5- RES|IST urge to twist as you wiggle. Thats what will break it.

6- Give up pulling a get ready to destroy it in attempt to get it out in one piece.

7- Grab some needle nose or appropriate vise grips and clamp onto tube in between the exhaust manifolds. By 'clamp' I mean hard, your going to squash the tube and destroy it, but the vise grips have to be on like a sob.

8- hammer down on the end of the vise grips as they rock against manifold and pull up on tube.

the upwards hammering should pull it out in one piece. worked for me and saved me nightmare of my first, tap broken piece, pull out half, hammer remaining in, drop pan and retrieve fiasco...

In either case you'll need a new tube.

Wierd how some are like that while others fall in like a hot dog down a hallway.

I've had 2 sss, Installed LT on both, Had to deal with this twice!

One truck was winter driven, one was a garage queen, No difference, those freakin things don't want to come out sometimes.

You state you can't get it out from top or bottom? by 'bottom' do you mean you've dropped the oil pan?

If the top piece broke off so that the remaining bit is not flared to dip stick size, you should be able to push, hammer it into oil pan, That was what I ended up doing on first truck. but dropping the oil pan to retrieve the piece is a pia.

I ended up there after some progress by tapping the broken piece, then threading a bolt through a socket to pull it out, It pulled half out,and left last bit behind, which ended up getting pushed into pan.

For anyone reading this before they break it, here is my advice to a stubborn dip stick.

** with stock exhaust manifolds installed.

1- soak tube into block area with pb blaster or whatever penetrant.

2- remove bolt holding tube bracket to head

3- pull

4 pull some more, wiggle a bit,

5- RES|IST urge to twist as you wiggle. Thats what will break it.

6- Give up pulling a get ready to destroy it in attempt to get it out in one piece.

7- Grab some needle nose or appropriate vise grips and clamp onto tube in between the exhaust manifolds. By 'clamp' I mean hard, your going to squash the tube and destroy it, but the vise grips have to be on like a sob.

8- hammer down on the end of the vise grips as they rock against manifold and pull up on tube.

the upwards hammering should pull it out in one piece. worked for me and saved me nightmare of my first, tap broken piece, pull out half, hammer remaining in, drop pan and retrieve fiasco...

In either case you'll need a new tube.

Wierd how some are like that while others fall in like a hot dog down a hallway.

Good post. Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

Man that sucks. I've never had the issues you guys have had with them. But then again we don't see the rust and stuff down here in Texas as bad. The vice grips used as a cantilever on the manifold sounds promising though if someone had one not already broken off.

I ended up having to take the longtube off on the passanger side and get at it with a vice grips and an easy out since it was snapped off in the block. This ended up breaking it before the o-ring and the rest of the tube fell into the pan. Lots of swearing and too much work just to get a new dipstick tube. Thanks for the help guys! :peelout:

I ended up having to take the longtube off on the passanger side and get at it with a vice grips and an easy out since it was snapped off in the block. This ended up breaking it before the o-ring and the rest of the tube fell into the pan. Lots of swearing and too much work just to get a new dipstick tube. Thanks for the help guys! :peelout:

It sounds like too much work for what it is. Glad to hear that you got it done. :thumbsup:

I always use vasoline on the o-ring when I reassemble. Just my advise, it has worked well so far. I have had 4 motors in and out of my truck. And I don't know how many times I have pulled the dipstick with my turbo pipes.