top speed

j4nash

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aerodynamics will play a major part in this.

I dont think that the truck will shift to overdrive under wide open driving. If thats the case, depending on your rev limiter, you could hit 140 with 4.10 gears and a 6200 rpm cut off.

Now, would that big old boat feel safe at 140 mph? I know my excab Z71 feels like its ready for lift off at 115 mph.

But the tires are not rated at 140mph :smash: and could you even hold it on the road at 140. Also to still pull a trailer the tires that would be rated at around 140mph could not hold the extra weight of a trailer

I have ZR rated tires on my 2000 and i still pull everything around fine.

140 in a truck is really fast. When lingenfelter did a twin turbo truck a while back, he felt that the aerodynamics of the truck would not let him break the 150 mph mark, I'm gonna beleive him since he seems to know what he is talking about

i wouldn't be using a half ton truck for any heavy duty towing in the first place. as for the top speed, i never said the truck would be stable, only that it would be geared for it. this could be why that pace truck was a 2wd.

ZR tires are rated for like 200 or something like that, but they technically arent rated for the weight of the truck, but they definately work. I have 275/35ZR20 Yokohama AVS sports. I have Michelin Pilot sport A/S in front and they are rated for a little more, I like those tires better, but they dont hook as good on dry pavement. I dont remember what the exact load rating is, but is says on their site, as well as tirerack. I tow my 21' boat all the time, and ive had engines and all kinds of other crap back there before, and the tires have never had any kind of problem

• 3 weeks later...

my 2000 ext cab has been clocked @148 it is got a few mods no power adders just intake and exhaust and ls1-edit and tires rated for 150 mph i still could go faster!!!! truck fill's fine there smooth as glass. the brakes are another story!

i plan on having some head work done and a cam put in soon i know it will go faster than 150 for me i'm around 4000 to 4100 in o/d with a .70 o/d gear and 3.42s and a 30 inch tire

Archived