top speed

j4nash

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my 2000 ext cab has been clocked @148 it is got a few mods no power adders just intake and exhaust and ls1-edit and tires rated for 150 mph i still could go faster!!!!   truck fill's fine there smooth as glass.     the brakes are another story!

i plan on having some head work done and a cam put in soon i know it will go faster than 150 for me i'm around 4000 to 4100 in o/d with a .70  o/d gear and 3.42s and a 30 inch tire

gngms282.gif

Sorry the math doesn't work, perhaps if you dropped it from about 10,000 feet you'd see 148

In 1995 I had a new Camaro Z28. Motor trend said that they tested it at 150mph. I got it up to 145 a couple of times but I don't think that I ever hit 150. It took a good mile and a half to get it up that fast. Good luck getting your pickup up to 150.

a stock 00' firehawk won't go 171 either as it will hit the rev limiter in 5th gear at 162 (it's also only good for 140 in 6th) and the auto doesn't make it past 160.

yes the friehawk will between 5000 and 5100 in o/d .70 3.23 with a 25.7 inch tire you got yourself 170+ you people are all about calling me a liar i'm sorry i'm not a liar i don't get you guys anyone of you live near orlando fl if so come see for your self i'll be more than pleased to take you for a ride

Well, something doesn't add up.

The Lightning will hit 147mph (I believe it is showing around 4500rpm at this speed). It has significantly more hp and torque, and is lighter also (yes it does have steeper gears, but as the rpm shows, this is not a factor). It's top speed has nothing to do with a lack power, however. It has to do with the aerodynamics. All of the calculators in the world cannot determine how the aerodynamics will affect a vehicle at high speed. I would think that an SS, or Z71 Silverado has similar, or worse aerodynamics than the Lightning. Thus, the top speed cannot even be as high.

For most vehicles, the top speed is limited more by the gearing vs the aerodynamics........ than anything else (meaning that with the gearing, the vehicle cannot put enough power to the ground to overcome the aerodynamics of a brick).

The L is known to have the highest top speed of any truck in existance (past or present).

If someone has been clocking you at those speeds with as radar gun, I think they need to recalibrate it. :)

whatever yes you are right the lighting will do 145+ thats fine but i've been 148 in my truck belive it or not whatever i don't care anymore tired of fighting with you guys

All that typing in just 5 posts can poop a guy out.. Wonder if this as any Top Speed Potential.. :jester:

fhgk111.gif

Archived