top speed

j4nash

Well, at least it is nice to know that MOST people in here are realistic about the top speed of their trucks (not that most of us will even try to go that fast........ I know I won't). :)

On a side note............ not only does 00silvyinotown have the fastest Silverado known to man (a factory anomoly).......... but he was also lucky enough to get to ride in the fastest Firehawk known to man. I think I need to get this man to buy my lottery tickets for me. :jester:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some testing done by SAE shows that the Silverado SS can do 129.2 mph without a restricting governor. Testing was also done on the 2001 Ford Lightning and 2003 Dodge Ram SRT-10 with the Viper engine and these tests show a top speed of 148 and 164.1 mph respectively. Here are the sites if you want to check them out:

http://www.pchotrod.com/Sample%20Reports/s...ossandsrt10.PDF

http://www.pchotrod.com/Sample%20Reports/S...usLightning.PDF

It looks like the top speed of these three trucks is in direct relation to how much power the truck has and of coarse gear ratios. The drag coefficient is the same for all three of these trucks at .35. The tests say nothing about frontal area of the trucks, which is a huge consideration in the total drag force of the vehical at a variable speed (Drag Force = drag coefficient x projected frontal area). I hope this clears up some of the speculation flying around the forum :thumbs: .

Side note: I just purchased my SS in arrival blue last week and might I add that this thing is bad a**. Hopefully I can post some pics here in the near future. This is my first post soooo............... holler. :cheers::chevy:

CGAR, You're a cigar and SS fan also! God bless you! My great passion in life is cigars. In fact I own a smoke shop in PA. I like my cigars big dark and stong. How 'bout you? What are some of your favorites? Feel free to e-mail me @ [email protected]. I don't wanna do to much cigar chat on this site since it is dedicated to SS's. Could that stand for Super Stoogie. :) Congrats on your good taste in the important things in life.

Welcome cgar. :thumbs:

This is a great site......... you will enjoy it.

I would be frightened to drive any stock truck to 164mph (hell, I don't want to drive my '01 L to 148 either). One gentleman is working on getting his Lightning ready to compete in the 180mph class in the Nevada open road races. You should see what he is doing to it to make it safe and competative at that speed. :eek:

I am sure that the '05 Lightning will have a much higher top speed also. Where anyone would ever use it in the US......... I have no idea (and I don't want to know. :) )

GMCKen,

CGar is the screen name I have always used. C is the first letter in my name and Gar is the first three letters in my last name. I'd be lying if I told you that a planned it that way, but I do enjoy a good cigar from time to time. I drove to Nebraska this weekend for my friends wedding and we lit up a Royal after the ceremony. Since this is the top speed forum, might I add that I hit 109 on the way to Nebraska before the governor shut me off, not a cop in sight :cool: .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin :chevy:

The speedo in my 02 5.3 Avalanche (not the one I'm wearing) is about 3-4% high, per my GPS.

In stock form, I'd be very willing to bet the 6,000lb pig could easily pull an indicated 115+. (It's got 4.10's for what it's worth) I've run it up near the 90-something limiter a number of times, and you'd never know you're going that fast. It feels like it was just starting to come alive. And that was without the Home-Depot ram-air I was building for it. :rolleyes::D

Some testing done by SAE shows that the Silverado SS can do 129.2 mph without a restricting governor. Testing was also done on the 2001 Ford Lightning and 2003 Dodge Ram SRT-10 with the Viper engine and these tests show a top speed of 148 and 164.1 mph respectively. Here are the sites if you want to check them out:

http://www.pchotrod.com/Sample%20Reports/s...ossandsrt10.PDF

http://www.pchotrod.com/Sample%20Reports/S...usLightning.PDF

It looks like the top speed of these three trucks is in direct relation to how much power the truck has and of coarse gear ratios. The drag coefficient is the same for all three of these trucks at .35. The tests say nothing about frontal area of the trucks, which is a huge consideration in the total drag force of the vehical at a variable speed (Drag Force = drag coefficient x projected frontal area). I hope this clears up some of the speculation flying around the forum :thumbs: .

Side note: I just purchased my SS in arrival blue last week and might I add that this thing is bad a**. Hopefully I can post some pics here in the near future. This is my first post soooo............... holler. :cheers::chevy:

The PCHotRod site is for software that SIMULATES what will happen. The test results show are not actual tests. It is interesting all the same, but only as reliable as the data put into it.

Hence the P C Hot Rod name, I should have known it was just a computer test :sigh: . I would say the data put into the computer is extremely close to what it actually is. Every vehicle is put into a wind tunnel to test for the drag coefficient before it goes into production and assuming the dyno tests are accurate, 129.2 mph is within about two miles per hour of what the SS could actually obtain. Earlier in the top speed discussion it was said that the Lightning hit 147 in a test that was done. Calculations from the P C Hot Rod show that they hit 148 mph in their test. Now that's reliable testing! I am planning on purchasing an aftermarket chip within a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what my GPS says when I hit top end..........if I'm not in jail :jester: .

Archived