New guy here - Just got my SS!!!

orion :: SS

Hey guys...

Just picked up an '03 SS this week...quite happy with it so far.

Here's a pic:

SS-4.jpg

I figure I should post a quick intro so you know what I'm about:

Name is Brian...and I'm a Nissan sports car guy from Orange Park, FL (just outside your Superbowl host city for this year - Jacksonville, FL). My current street/track car is a 1996 Nissan 240SX that I've owned since '97...bought it as an automatic with ~155HP...and it's now been converted to a 5-speed and has full suspension/brakes and a custom turbo kit. Currently puts out ~300rwhp at 12psi from a T3/T4, and runs low-13s at 110mph...

I use it for autocross and road racing...that is, "track days" and "driver training events", no road race competition...all for fun.

I do all my own work...fabrication is my favorite part of building cars.

Here's my website: www.KA24DEvelopment.com (it's all info, I don't sell anything)

Anyway, hello...!

- - - - -

Now, questions:

I plan on using the SS for "daily driving" and occasional towing of the 240SX.

I'd like a little more power, and better mileage - It looks like a "pcm4Less" is a good step in the right direction.

I really don't plan on spending a ton of money on this truck, but I can't drive a stock anything.

So, what do you think about:

- pcm4less (is 2-3mpg realistic???)

- electric fans (looks like the '05 setup is great)

- cold air intake (what is the typical pipe size of these...4"...?)

I plan to make the intake and cold air box...I'm guessing that the engine fan and fan shroud will need to be removed for this to fit, correct?

- Maybe an exhaust later...is there really that much power to be found from just a better muffler???

- - - - -

Well, this forum looks great - Look for me to be browsing around here quite often, and contributing what I can. I also see there's at least one member down here in my neck-o-the-woods - I lok forward to possibly meeting other "SS" guys...

Thanks for any input you may have.

- Brian

welcome to the site. i think you will find alot of helpful info here. just ask questions and you will get answers.

as far as a muffler swap, i'm using a spintech that is supossed to flow almost twice the cfm as a flowmaster. this was my first mod and i only noticed a slight differance, but every little bit helps. look in my sig. now.

i'm running 12.3 @ 109. :eek::thumbs:

I am running dual 50 series Flowmasters with an x-pipe, I did notice a difference in highway performance (much better from 50mph and up). All my mods really came together when I added the PCMforless tune. I am currently located in Manderin and will probably run into to you since I am always in Wells and Blanding area.

What an active forum...this is great!

I am running dual 50 series Flowmasters with an x-pipe, I did notice a difference in highway performance (much better from 50mph and up).  All my mods really came together when I added the PCMforless tune.

Good stuff...

I guess I'll add exhaust to the list. I have a welder, so I may just start with 2 "magnaflow" mufflers in place of the stock 2-in, 2-out muffler...and the rest stock piping.

Did you notice any MPG change with the "PCMforless"...?

I am currently located in Manderin and will probably run into to you since I am always in Wells and Blanding area.

Awesome.

I live off of Kingsley, but work down in Fleming Island - I'll keep and eye out for another red SS on 17...!

- Brian

Welcome to the site!!! This really is a great site. It helps out a lot and there are guys on here that really have a good handle on the performance and appearance upgrades for our trucks.

Arrival, I have installed the two flowmasters in place of the factory muffler and split the exhaust out each side. I have been very happy and it sounds great!!! :cheers:

With those smoked headlights, how do the headlights fare at night time? I would think they couldn't possibly be as bright.

Also, are they legal? When I was looking at an auction for smoked headlights on ebay it said they were for off-road and show use only.

:dunno:

You will notice a mpg increase with the tune from pcmforless.com but more like 1-2 mpg instead of 2-3. Also Magnaflow mufflers are a great choice. I haven't heard of anybody unhappy with their performance, but a couple people like mufflers a bit louder. The magnaflows are quiet cruising, and loud at WOT. In order to make your own CAI you would want to use 4" tubing, and you would need electric fans to make it fit. I have elec fans, and the room that I have is amazing.

Enjoy the truck!

Aaron

Archived