New Outlaw Thread

After e-mailen them they responded that they don't make a productionversion for the vortech s/c. So Adam i think you have to send me yours.

I think for now (waiting on adams2003 :D ) i buy an k&n drop in filter for my stockbox.

Price overhere incl. sending is 150$ How much $$ in the usa?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else notice the outlaw seems to raise the IAT? So if this is the case the IAT means less the the actual flow. Its very clear in the blown application that IAT is not as importiant as we all think? Higher IAT by 6 degress but more HP, How does that make sense?

Anyone else notice the outlaw seems to raise the IAT? So if this is the case the IAT means less the the actual flow. Its very clear in the blown application that IAT is not as importiant as we all think? Higher IAT by 6 degress but more HP, How does that make sense?

Good eye, but its not necessarily the Outlaw causing the higher IAT... its the fact its always tested 2nd or 3rd intentionally. This way others can't claim the Outlaw has an advantage b/c of lower IAT. Its only a couple of degrees so its not that big of a difference, but if anything its at a disadvantage being tested on an already hot engine. :thumbs:

Good eye, but its not necessarily the Outlaw causing the higher IAT... its the fact its always tested 2nd or 3rd intentionally. This way others can't claim the Outlaw has an advantage b/c of lower IAT. Its only a couple of degrees so its not that big of a difference, but if anything its at a disadvantage being tested on an already hot engine. :thumbs:

Correct me if I am wrong but arent the coolant temps the same?

SSAlaska,

Thanks for your sincere interest in Outlaw. Please be assured that Outlaw draws in air from the side fender just like stock. We even use foam seal, just like stock, to make sure we are only drawing in cold fender air.

The reason the air intake temp is higher in this particular case is that after every run the coolant temp rises several degrees. We then stage the vehicle and idle until the coolant temp drops down to the reference coolant temp (201 F in this case). At this point, the air intake is high because as the vehicle sits, the coolant temp is going down while the air intake temp is going up. This occurs in all the systems tested.

Another factor is that we start testing in the morning while the ambient air is still cool. After testing the other systems, we test the Outlaw and it turns out to be right around 1pm...which is much higher ambient air temp than the morning stock tests. There were three to four SilveradoSS forum members at these tests and they all witnessed the order of testing.

We have run charts where the others a.i. temps are higher than Outlaw but we wanted to give the advantage to the non-Outlaw systems. Those non-Outlaw runs were even worse than the ones shown in this thread.

http://www.stillen.com/news_select.asp?id=60 Is a nice short article concerning the importance of monitoring coolant temp.

Sincerely,

Outlawtech

Correct me if I am wrong but arent the coolant temps the same?

he's correct. after you've been doing wide open passes the air intake temperature tends to rise as underhood temps rise. this is a natural thing and can't be prevented. for those that have a cowl hood though it can be lessened.

Cowl hood or cool fender induction, the air intake temp sensor is located in the intake manifor over the hot block. So even if the air is cool, the sensor will read hotter because of the sensor's physical location. This occurs at idle because of the low air flow that would otherwise cool the sensor down.

he's correct. after you've been doing wide open passes the air intake temperature tends to rise as underhood temps rise. this is a natural thing and can't be prevented. for those that have a cowl hood though it can be lessened.

Cowl hood or cool fender induction, the air intake temp sensor is located in the intake manifor over the hot block. So even if the air is cool, the sensor will read hotter because of the sensor's physical location. This occurs at idle because of the low air flow that would otherwise cool the sensor down.

IAT sensor is in the MAF on these trucks (and any GM with a 5 wire MAF plug), not the intake.

TurbochargedBerserker,

You are correct.

Thus revised:

Cowl hood or cool fender induction, sitting at idle the air intake temp sensor is located in the MAF under the hot hood. So even if the outside air is cool, the sensor will read hotter because of the sensor's physical location. This occurs at idle because of the low velocity air flow that would otherwise cool the sensor down.

At higher rpms (higher air flows) the air inside the tube has much less time to heatsoak from the insulted air intake tube. I remember some intake company calculating it to be in the fraction of a second range. In addition, the air under the hood is being stired (cooled) as the vehicle is in motion.

the only way the cowl hood is helping isn't from the intake sucking air through it. the cowl hood allows for cooler running underhood temps by allowing hot air to escape through it's opening.

Archived