SS Supercharged = 13.92@93

dcairns

I knew this trip to the drag strip was going to be better when I got on the freeway and saw a red SS :thumbs: . The first SS I have seen out of captivity and the first red one that I have seen anywhere. Got through traffic and came along side and we exchanged waves and smiles (I forgot what the official wave is supposed to be :eek: ). They had the whole family in there :D Wish I could have given them a SilveradoSS.com card or something.

Went to Carlsbad raceway. This time the intercooler was working. Very few people there, which shocked me. It actually made the wait too short as my times deteriorated with each pass, so I took a break and let things cool off for an hour and got the ET back down.

Temps were in the low 70’s

10:00 AM 13.92@93

10:15 AM [email protected]

10:36 AM [email protected]

cooled off

11:53 AM [email protected]

As luck would have it, they had the time slip computer setup wrong for the first few people to go, so I had to go to the tower for a manual time slip, and they just gave me the ET and MPH.

One thing is certain, heat is my enemy :fume: . An electric fan to cool it off probably would have helped.

5450 lbs. with a 13.92 ET is supposed to take 400 wheel HP. Fairly close to my projected 13.8 with 406 wheel HP. If I left 100 lbs. off the truck (spare, jack and back seat) that would be good for another 1/10 second. And who knows what could be achieved if the driver were put on a diet :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbs: Dave. Glad the intercooler is working, buddy.

Gad, you're scaring the hell out of me. If heat is your enemy and here I am in Arizona about to put the Magna on mine next month. Whew, I better not get on it in the summer around here.

Temp. 112. Lee's time was 56.52@52 :jester:

Good job :thumbs:

I knew you had it in ya !!!!

Any supercharger that sits on the engine will suffer from the heat, the same as yours did. The L's intercooler is extremely efficient (nobody has been able to figure out how to make one that works better than the stock one), and they still suffer from the same problem........... just maybe not quite to the same degree.

Now, that is a much better SS. :D

Lee, while heat will be your trucks enemy, it will be every other vehicles enemy also.......... just not to quite the same degree as you. Your truck just will not be real fast in the summer. You will also want to pay particular attention to your tune, to make sure you do not get any predetonation in the heat. Predet with a blower is a real good way to launch a rod through your block. :cry:

:thumbs:   So, did you power brake this time?  Good to see the hard work paid off!!

I tried power braking on the second run, but with the heat build up, it is hard to tell if it made a difference. Past experince in stock trim, showed no difference. I think the computer is limiting things here. I don't know if it is traction control or torque managment, but I suspect something is limiting the launch. Not that they are bad, but there is probably time to be found by investigating there. One of these days I am going to have to get AutoTap or something like it, and record the computers activity.

Right on, glad to see your back in the game with your supercharger....to bad about the time slip computer though and yes, heat is everyones enemy. What is the stock thermostat on those trucks BTY? Could you run a cooler t-stat?

Congrats.

I think you have a couple of issues, one being torque management. TM is designed to pull timing on aggressive standing starts and during shifts. Autotap would be a good investment. I would highly recommend it.

Do you know how much fluid the stock intercooler pumps? I would invest in an electric fan off a tranny cooler or something like that.

10:00 AM 13.92@93

5450 lbs. with a 13.92 ET is supposed to take 400 wheel HP.

I new you could do it Dave. Sub 14. Just what I wanted to hear. 400 rwhp eh? Next time the yoyos tell us our truck is underpowered stick that down their throats! You are the man! :thumbs:

very nice. around the times i expected the radix would get for ya. i think the 400rwhp number is a bit optimistic with only a best of 95 mph, but either way getting into the 13's is how the ss should be. :) good job and nice truck. :cheers:

btw: schmidty he did add a supercharger, that doesn't mean it wasn't underpowered stock.

Archived