Synthetic Oil Before 25K

rmcswain

What "flavor" oil to use? Wow !

My '98 GMC 1500 had Mobile 1 at 1000 miles,has 173000 on it today.Gave it to my son when I bought this SS.Doesn't use a drop,even on the many 1000 to 1500 mile trips pulling our 12' inclosed go kart trailer to the races in 3rd gear,,3000 rpm @ about 70mph for hours on end.The SS got it at 2200 miles.

We own a Viscometer and a Falax machine (Timken bearing oil test) and IMHO Mobile 1 is the best "flavor" motor oil we can buy for our trucks today.I believe in the synthetics,but just for grins lets look at it another way.What motor oil could you put in your engine that is so bad it would burn up?

Breakin?? With regular oil??

IMHO using regular oil for breakin doesn't cause the engine to ware more or ware in.The mineral / parafin oils burnish into the metal and leave a permanent base on the metal.Once again just my opinion.

On a fresh aluminum kart engine there's a BIG difference in one assembled and runin on regular motor oil before switching to synthetic and one starting out on synthetic.Methenol fuel.

Breakin slow? Or you've herd, "break it in like your going to run it".

Try this link for another opinion.

http://www.cessna.org/breakin.html

Ain't this fun ? WP

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only purpose of using the Synthetic oil is for its superior lubricating and temperature withstanding qualities.

Actually, the biggest advantage of synthetics is it's resistance to breakdown like regular oil. Other than that, it's lubricity isn't any different. It's longevity that you're really after with synthetic.

I agree. I don't see why there would be any disadvantage to running synthetics too early. As long as you use the factory recommended weight, how can your engine tell the difference between synth or regular?

Just my opinion. :flag:

BenKey do you have your engine back togather yet.What "flavor" assembly lube did/are you using ? And what oil will you use for breakin?

WP

Dino oil for break-in. A change at 500 miles and then a change at 3000 miles to synthetic. Not sure on any assy lubes, those are all applied to the internal pieces directly. I can ask the builder though.

Ben who is your builder ? if in the Mobile / P'cola area maybe I know him.

I have an artical on the theroy that fossil fuels are really not fossil at all, I'd like to send you only don't know how to post it on here.(ya know maybe not legal to reproduce)

E-mail me a note and I'll send it back.

Good luck on the rebuild & breakin.

WP

Archived