Is there a way to get better gas mileage

Just my $.02 but take that $2000-$3000 you're planning on mods and buy a 4 banger beater to drive to work and on errands.

What if you get run over by a beer truck..., or a two hundred pound whitetail buck decides the cross the road about the time you're scratching your butt?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Removing the tailgate will get you 5-15% drop in mileage.

Could be, but I don't see how. Looks to me like 8-10 square foot of windbreak would create a lot of drag.

Not true when it comes to a pickup. It has been proven and a link to an article was around here at one time. It actually creates more drag without the tailgate.

Removing the tailgate will get you 5-15% drop in mileage.

Could be, but I don't see how. Looks to me like 8-10 square foot of windbreak would create a lot of drag.

Not true when it comes to a pickup. It has been proven and a link to an article was around here at one time. It actually creates more drag without the tailgate.

Exactly, thanx for clearing that up BenKey, i heard it worked for the older trucks that were more box style but the newer trucks are designed to have best aerodynamics with the tailgate as it is

One thing I thought was odd when i had the old Volant on is I semmed to get the best gas mileage when I was driving over 80mph on the highway, i have no idea why but that seemed to be its best mpg.

i do 2 things to get great sss mileage. (for an sss).

1) let wife drive it,mostly.

2) i run required 91 octane, hightest i can buy in canada.  but i add stp octane boost.  i buy it in bulk, usually 200 bottles at a time.$3ea.(or $7 at a gas station).   each bottle treats 50 litres 10-12 gal??   i got a near 20 % increase immediately.   my last highway run, i waz driving, and i got 19.7 mpg at 120kph or around 75 mph.  i also installed a flush mount "roll and lock" in the back.   in town i see an honest 60-100 miles further on a tank.......mine is totally stock.  til next week.    pcmforless, corsa sport, and k&n.

all i wanna do for it since i rarely drive it anyway.       *waits patiently for my new c6.

bottom line.     ever 3-6 dollars spent on octane  = $15-20 less fuel per tank.

we pay $1  / liter in alberta.  is that 4 or 5 bucks a gallon? sheesh.

Where abouts in alberta are you? Highest I've seen here is $1.15 a litre/ for 91 and forget about 93. Right now we have a drop to around $3.50US for a gallon. Like the others said, try a CAI, e-fans, tonneau cover, you can always find lighter rims too, stock is heavy. Headers and Exhaust are costly but you might see a gain from them. A good tune should help out as well. If the truck has lots of miles on it some engine restorer might help, never tried it but its worth a try. If you think these SSs are bad try driving an 8.1 :banghead: . I averaged 6-7 when I still had it.

Wow I was just reading some of the posts from when i first started this thread up and a lot of you were real buttheads :crackup: It was such a warm welcoming being one of my first posts and all. thanx guys :yellow_loser:

As for now the gas mileage thing is in the air untill i get some cash to do anything

Just be happy the motor doesn't require premium fuel!! :flag:

The SSS does require premium fuel 91 or high so that hurts, but also it depends on where you live(Hilly,flatlike, or so on)Driving habits and enviroment have a big part in the amount of fuel consumption.Stopping too fast, accelerating too fast, even taking corners at slightly faster speeds(I know some of you are guilty of a lot of these :crackup: )It's the ole "Catch 22" if you drive for mileage you lose the fun of performance, and if you drive for fun of performance you mileage. That Just my thoughts on the subject.Good luck in your search :driving:

Normal highway cruising I get 18-19mpg this is measure by actual fuel consumpution not the DIC.

Mods are: (mileage related ones)

volant with ramair

corsa exhaust

Flex-a-lite Efans

Pcmforless custom tuned Pcm

hard tonneau cover

and a very clean and waxed truck.

And a good driver with the right pedal control will get better gas mileage than cruise control.

Archived