408 update

TurbochargedBerserker

TurbochargedBerserker please start a phase II thread....lol this ones getting to long.. :D

I'm looking into that Mega Squirt, that could open up a bunch of motor swap ideas like a LS1 Colorado....  If all I'd get was an injector code from the PCM....Humm... Stock PCM and the Mega Squirt running the fuel.  But  I'll wait to see how you do first.

I wish you weren't having the troubles I can't wait to see your truck up and running.  :thumbs:

Dennis

Yep all you get is injector codes and the "oh crap where's the maf" code.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on Tex, Has he done anything simple in this build? LOL

No, but that part of the problem. If it were me, I'd focus on getting one thing right at a time, verify its functioning correctly, then move on to the next item. Making all these changes at once may sound like good use of time and resources, but in the end it will end up taking longer and costing more. Just IMO.

Now Erik - pull the megasquirt for now and get the truck running on its own so you can break in the motor and new "exhaust". Once all the physical bugs are worked out, go back to the fancy fueling.

Richard

Nah. The problem is the guy at the shop that pulled the wires out of one of the injector plugs and let them touch... PCM or MS, that's gonna put a crimp in your cruise and since the MS can be completely replaced for $280 or so, I'd rather have it happen the way it did :) If that guy hadn't made that little mistake, I would be doing max hp tuning this week and posting burnout pics.

I completely disagree with you on the one step at a time approach being cheaper, Tex. Doing a piecemeal installation on this project would have nearly tripled the costs. The down time would have ended up being longer too, as the delays in my project had mostly to do with waiting on vendors, which we did in parallel :)

The truck has already been running, and trust me on this, it would take a lot more to get the truck idling with the stock PCM than it did with the MS (20 minutes). Believe me, I've thought long and hard about taking the "easy way out" and just restitching the PCM to the injectors so I could drive the truck, but in the end it isn't really easy, and doesn't gain you anything except breaking the engine in a day or two sooner, and the price you pay for this is a bunch of tuning you have to do twice. Not to mention that the tuning to be done with the stock PCM is a much more involved process that wouldn't have been completed to the state that I'd have had a good running truck by the time the MS was supposed to be returned.

You have to have a plan when your build means you are replacing almost everything on the truck. The plan should include the best, most cost effective way of doing things. In hindsight, when the clutches let go, I should have just done the tranny in November and not jumped up my plans on the block, as that would have given me more time on the checking the parts and making sure I had what I wanted, but it's all good on my end -- I'm getting what I wanted and what I planned to have, just not on the day I wanted it :)

What's that thing they say: There are three possible attributes for any job: fast, good, and cheap. Feel free to pick any two. Well, I definately went good. You can figure out the second quality on your own :D

I completely disagree with you on the one step at a time approach being cheaper, Tex.  Doing a piecemeal installation on this project would have nearly tripled the costs.  The down time would have ended up being longer too, as the delays in my project had mostly to do with waiting on vendors, which we did in parallel :)

We have a little different mentality in this. I would be doing most of this on my own in my garage, up to my elbows in parts. You've hired a shop to ramrod the project for you. I would err on the cautious side and make sure I get each component done correctly. You've got an experienced team working with you on your build. My way would be the cheaper alternative, but I wouldn't be able to point fingers at anyone if I screwed something up. Then again, no one would know I screwed it up unless I told them. :P

I'm getting what I wanted  and what I planned to have, just not on the day I wanted it :)

Thats all that really counts.

We have a little different mentality in this.  I would be doing most of this on my own in my garage, up to my elbows in parts.  You've hired a shop to ramrod the project for you.  I would err on the cautious side and make sure I get each component done correctly.  You've got an experienced team working with you on your build.  My way would be the cheaper alternative, but I wouldn't be able to point fingers at anyone if I screwed something up.  Then again, no one would know I screwed it up unless I told them.  :P

Oh yeah, I see the point there. I was planning on going that route originally, but it wasn't fun like it was when I was younger :) Maybe it's the heat, the extra 50 pounds or the fact that I live on a hill and couldn't get enough of the truck on a flat space to get the whole thing up in the air. Realistically, I think its because all my local gearhead buddies are now driving 4 door hondas with no project cars and have sold off their tools, etc.

If I was doing this myself, I would have done the MS before I did the motor. Then I would have done and tuned the cam, then done the motor build. That way all I would have needed to do after putting in the new motor is get the ve tune right.

But the way I went I could do as much as I wanted and when something wasn't fun, I could just turn to Chuck and say "So when will this part be done? I'll be back later" :D

Ground shaking up there Matt?

It is here :devil:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to finish tuning :)

Eric, good to hear. :thumbs:

Let us know what the miss turned out to be.  Are you changing oil at 100, then break in over at 500? 

How's the MS tuning going?  Ever find out what shorted it?  That missing ground?

The short came from the guy at the shop that pulled the wires out of one of the injector plugs and let them touch... ouch.

I've got it running pretty decently atm -- the missed was another fouled plug, and I changed them all out, but the computer is still registering misses on 1,2,3,4. Someone refresh my memory -- GM is driver's side is 2468, and pass is 1357 or is it 1234, 5678?

Spent a bunch of time tuning this afternoon. It's running pretty smooth when warmed up and at less than 50% throttle.

I could kill Chuck and the gang though... There are parts in a box that I found in the truck (plastic stuff like wiring harness hold downs), there is a vent hose dangling from the tranny, its leaking oil, the oil pressure sender is telling the PCM 130.2psi anytime the key is on, someone forgot to secure the top radiator hose so guess who needs new efans... Zapped the driver's side fan. Oh yeah.. Gas filler neck leaks. :banghead:

It's going back in the a.m.

At least I had fun driving it this weekend.

Erik, its 1357 on the the drivers and 2468. Or aleast thats how I was taught on the older small blocks. I quess the sensor for the oil pressure is shot and the fans shorted out? I can't wait for my HP to get back, the dam interface was screwed up right from HP.

Erik, its 1357 on the the drivers and 2468. Or aleast thats how I was taught on the older small blocks.  I quess the sensor for the oil pressure is shot and the fans shorted out? I can't wait for my HP to get back, the dam interface was screwed up right from HP.

I dunno on the sensor -- might not be plugged in, or crimped or something. The fan lost all its blades (lost 6/10 to the hose, and I broke the other 4 off so it could spin without shaking the whole truck (literally).

Okay. I've been fouling 4 -- did it on two sets of plugs and am reading a misfire on 4 on the third set. I'm lost.

Thanks for the info, Matt. I will put it to good use tomorrow.

Archived