408 update

TurbochargedBerserker

Just # 4, Sounds like it could be an injector problem? Man that sucks about the fans. How are you watching the oil pressure without the sensor? That thing is brand new, you are nuts. I would be scared to death without being able to see the oil pressue. Get that fixed.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erik, its 1357 on the the drivers and 2468. Or aleast thats how I was taught on the older small blocks.  I quess the sensor for the oil pressure is shot and the fans shorted out? I can't wait for my HP to get back, the dam interface was screwed up right from HP.

thats what i think too.

I would say the way it sounds - the oil pressure sensor is not plugged in. I only say that because it seems the shop left a few minor things "undone".

That thing is located right at the back of the block where the horizontal surface is between the two heads, driver's side. Don't think you'll be able to take out, if needed, unless you remove the intake.

I read the oil pressure from the PCM. What sucks even worse is with the way the put in the dipstick, you can't check the oil :banghead::banghead: You have to fight to get the stick into the pan, and by that time the oil is all smeared around.

They have the truck again today with explicit instructions -- I left them a list of 14 things to get done today...

I read the oil pressure from the PCM.  What sucks even worse is with the way the put in the dipstick, you can't check the oil  :banghead:  :banghead:   You have to fight to get the stick into the pan, and by that time the oil is all smeared around.

You may want to look into this. When I put my dipstick in, I had it at the wrong angle, which caused it not to seat properly. You'll know it's there when you look in from the wheel well and you "cannot" see the little orange o-ring at the base of the stick sleeve - this keeps oil from leaking out. When I had it at the wrong angle, I was fighting with my stick to get it back in.

This will also cause you to get inaccurate oil level reading from your stick.

It's easy to do. I've had my stick off 3-4 times before my engine went back in and never had a problem before.

Just something to look at.

I read the oil pressure from the PCM.  What sucks even worse is with the way the put in the dipstick, you can't check the oil  :banghead:  :banghead:   You have to fight to get the stick into the pan, and by that time the oil is all smeared around.

You may want to look into this. When I put my dipstick in, I had it at the wrong angle, which caused it not to seat properly. You'll know it's there when you look in from the wheel well and you "cannot" see the little orange o-ring at the base of the stick sleeve - this keeps oil from leaking out. When I had it at the wrong angle, I was fighting with my stick to get it back in.

This will also cause you to get inaccurate oil level reading from your stick.

It's easy to do. I've had my stick off 3-4 times before my engine went back in and never had a problem before.

Just something to look at.

If they don't get it right today, I'll be coming to you for more instruction :)

1) dipstick fixed (thanks Ben -- your info saved the day)

2) several other oil leaks fixed

3) dangling tranny vent lines fixed

4) tranny check valve installed

5) new radiator hose installed and secured (now all I need is fans!!)

6) few things rerouted

7) plugs cleaned (#4 was dripping wet!)

8) coils, wires, plugs checked

9) verified that #4 is actually getting spark

10) verified that #4 is getting injector pulse (as opposed to being on 100% of the time) -- more on this below

11) let Chuck watch the misfire count on his scanner

12) oil pressure sender removed, cleaned, reinstalled (still pegged :banghead:)

13) worked and worked on adjusting the gear selector switch... some progress but still whacked

14) hooked up the gas tank fill hose (which had come off) No joy... still can't fill the tank fast, but at least the gas goes in the tank instead of in my shoes.

More -- We sat there with the truck idling watching my WBO2 display and logging the NBo2s on Chuck's scanner. B1 was in the 900s. B2 was in the 50s... We couldn't figure that out so we decided to slap a noid light on the pass side injectors to makesure they were sending fuel. Chuck said "Pull #4 first -- it will start to miss, but that;s expected". I pulled it and you couldn't tell I'd done anything... I started checking the connectors on #4 while Chuck went for the phone, and then we tested with the noid light -- everything was cool. I plugged the injector back in thinking it was something screwy in the tune making the thing miss from a rich condition despite what the WBO2 was showing. In the mean time we had idled it *almost* out of gas -- keep in mind that I haven't gotten gas yet... I fill up the tank in about 25 minutes :banghead: and start her up. No miss. Plenty of power and running lean. No miss all the way home, no rough idle, no funny AFRs... I think it was old gas (3.5 months old...) Only time will tell, but she was running like a raped ape... Even at 1/3 throttle (couldn't go much more because of the lean conition).

Looks like I have a dead o2 sensor.. B2S1 showing ~50mv regardless of throttle position. I bet it got pinched or something during the reinstall. Oh well, 'nuther $100 :cry:

I probably could just leave it in there (since I do fueling off of the WBO2) but I'd rather fix it so I can rule out one more link in the chain of destruction.

Running pretty good -- I did some experimenting with the megasquirt today and found some settings that seem to be smoother than what parish and dieselgeek sent me. The miss has gone away except where it gets rich. Needs more tuning and that's just a function of time. Idles perfectly atm and doesn't miss until the right foot gets heavy.

The gas tank doesn't want to take gas :dunno: Yesterday they found that the fill hose had slipped but they fixed that and then last night it wouldn't take fuel quickly. They are going to pull the tank on Friday and get it resolved.

I have a new o2 coming and a new oil pressure sensor (since it is hooked up and still showing 130.2psi -- we think its shorted).

Should be going fast in a week or so.

Archived